Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 09:42 AM   #1  

Angry Steel Magnolias -- #338

Good Morning, Flowers!
It is going to be a hot one today! I think I will be staying inside for sure.

DH's riding lawn mower broke the other night just as he was about finished with the lawn. We have a little patch in front that needs to be done and he is hoping the guys will bring the mower back today. Otherwise he promised to borrow the neighbor's to finish the job. I have multiple messes to work on today . . . the story of my life. You would think I would make one mess and finish it before starting another one. I am the of messes!

Bubbles -- I guess I think of the "eastern" US as being all tall buildings, cement, and lots of people. The scenery on your sailing trip sounds beautiful! Kayaks have become very popular around here the last couple of years. I have never tried one . . . have visions of being stuck in that hole and upside down! We do have sailboat (much smaller boats than the one you were on) races on our lake; they line up along the shoreline with their different colored sails making a colorful site. They are fun to watch. A good share of our shoreline is public park so we have alot of out-of-towners who come to use the lake.

"Gma" -- Glad to hear the doorless cat box is working! I feel terrible about your situation with your daughter. Is there any possible way that you and she could have some alone time together and talk through the issues? And/or maybe include the men in a second session? Maybe she doesn't even know why she is acting the way she is and it is simply a misunderstanding about some little thing said or done. I know that T means so much to you and she is using him to get to you, no doubt about that. I have no advice about his family . . . I know that outlaws can be difficult and probably even more so when you all live in the same area. Would your daughter ever consider professional counseling with you? Life is much too short and T is the one who is going to be short changed in the end. Just my 2 cents worth and now I will step down from the soap box. Please feel free to share with us . . . if nothing else we are good listeners/readers!

I need to get moving! Have a nice day, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-03-2003, 05:06 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Weigh Day Report

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

This is a quick peek in ~ I am BACK feeding Thin Within. Now watch me shrink these next 6 months. I am jazzed and ready to begin this round now that my body has had a rest and adjusted to my present weight. Onward and downward. While I as in attending my new WW center meeting Cowboy bought me a gerprize today ~ the cutest retro clock made of metal with Betty Boop on it to put in my Office-Crafts Room. He said it was for my determination to do this thing. What an absolute sweetheart he is. Back at ya later my friends. Life is good.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:12 PM   #3  

Maggie -- I knew you would find your FOCUS ! I'm glad you explained what a gerprize is . . . cute!

"Someone" is shooting BIG BOOM fireworks tonight and pretty close by from the sounds of it. I hope they don't scare my kittens away from their mother.

Have a safe and happy 4th, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-04-2003, 07:12 AM   #4  

Maggie: You attack it girl! I knew you could if you wanted to!

Jean: Thank you for listening. You suggestions, though good, have been tried or suggested and met without enthusiasm or outright hostileness! I appreciate your kind thoughts. I just have these bouts every so often when something happens to bring it all up to the forefront again!

Everyone please enjoy your holiday weekend with friends and family!

Faye
Old 07-04-2003, 04:04 PM   #5  

Unhappy

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
Our weather is being very uncooperative for the 4th celebration! We have had wind, clouds, rain, sunshine, and then start all over again with the clouds rolling in. We didn't even go down to the park but did hear the cannon announcing the start of the parade an hour later that scheduled. The artists' alley will have a challenge with the wind and keeping their stuff anchored down.

"Gma" -- Wouldn't you just like to shake your kid(s), sometimes, and make them listen to you? {{HUGS}} I just feel so bad for you and know how I would feel if I couldn't spend time with Ian.

Hope you all are enjoying a nice 4th. We are home alone today since the weather isn't the best. The family will gather at MIL's on Sunday.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-04-2003, 04:24 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Smile Happy Birthday America

GOOD AFTERNOON FLOWERS & AMERICA

I have my potato salad made and in the fridge. It is so good ~ I had some for breakfast. I lighten it so it isn't point laden like regualr is. Cowboy loves it this way so lightened won't bother anyone else at the gathering tonight. The BBQ starts at 6pm and I will be ready point wise to enjoy it and the people. I am fixin' to have a green salad for lunch with a smoothie.

FAYE I learned long ago that I can't live my childrens life and they were brought up with good decision making skills so now if they really don't listen and want to do it their way so be it. I would just love to step in and organize them but that is not acceptable. I know what your anguish is .....

JEAN enjoy your peace and solitude this day. How are the kittens taking the outside noises this day?
Old 07-04-2003, 07:42 PM   #7  

Maggie -- Enjoy your evening . . . sounds like you have a good food plan for the day!

So far the kittens head for under the deck if they get scared. DH had river rock put around the base of it and then left a little hole on each side for the cats to get under. We have a fold down patio table which has a cover over it when not in use and they also scamper under there. The little Siamese had a price tag stuck to his side and I did manage to grab him and get that off. I don't know where he found that. When I open the door to put food out, they hide behind their mother and she will come to me as long as I don't step out the door. They are cute!
Old 07-05-2003, 03:00 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Smile Saturday morning already....

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a nice 83 degree morning here in the sunny Sierras. We had a grand time last evening. There ended up being 32 of us and that 20 pounds of tri tip was pleanty with all the fixings. My potato salad went over with a bang. I only brought a little home that will be for tonight when friends come over for a just the 4 of us BBQ.

JEAN I bet those kittens are so cute scuttering under the porch through their little opening. All safe and away from harm under there.

Have a lovely day ladies.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:44 AM   #9  

Early early good morning to you ladies!

We actually had an enjoyable time yesterday at dgs's birthday party. His other grandparents were quite civil and dh and I played with dgs in the pool for quite awhile and that was fun. DD had a couple of her friends and their families show up and one of the guys is active duty Navy so you know where that one took us!
DD heard her dad talking with this guy and just rolled her eyes. They are even coming over here for dinner tonight so that sil can help dh with a router problem on our computer. I pulled dgs aside and whispered that I bet he couldn't guess what Nonny bought him to eat at the grocery store. "Did you buy me shrump?" He said. I told him I did so now he gets to have "shrump" while we have steaks on the grill tonight. (he is on this big shrimp kick since they went on vacation to Florida) DD is making garlic butter corn on the grill which she says is delicious and sounds interesting. My last day for diet laziness this weekend though! Monday morning it is get serious time!

Jean: I can just see those little guys scurrying around with mama.

Maggie: Sounds like your group had a lovely time. We are finishing up pasta salad from yesterday tonight. DD is NOT a cook, but she makes a really good lower calorie pasta salad.

Well, I am going to go back to bed for awhile. You ladies enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Faye
Old 07-06-2003, 04:36 PM   #10  

Hi Flowers,
Sounds like everyone had a good weekend. Mine's been rather lowkey, as I have a touch of something which zaps my energy. One of our sailing buddies came home with walking pneumonia, and her cabin mate has a mild case of it. We all spent alot of time together, so I may have a tich of whatever. Anyway, it's been really hot and muggy, so the air and the bed felt good.

One of my former camper/counselors and her husband are here this weekend visiting their daughter, who is at camp. I made arrangements for them to stay at the B&B behind me, which is owned by a friend. They loved it, especially since Sheila took their daughter's laundry and washed it for them! St. Jimmy and I walked up to visit while they were having a drink before dinner.......I took my diet coke.........never leave home without it. Anyway, it was fun catching up with them. This B&B is an old Victorian house which was on "If Walls Could Talk" on HGTV last year.........Sheila laughs and says her boys allow that if walls really could talk they'd be in deep trouble Those boys were hellers as little guys, but have grown up to be nice young men. Two of them are still at home, in their 30s, so we're not the only ones.

Faye,
I'm so sorry you've had to go through this mess with DD. Hopefully, their coming over will serve as an icebreaker. Family stuff can get so sticky!

Have a great Monday. Jean, when do you go back to school? Beth said last night that t heir school in NC starts Aug. 7th! That's crazy! So much for waiting until the end of August, or after Labor Day. I'd say the American Camping Assn. is lobbying like crazy, because the lengthened school year is really cutting into their business with campers and counselors. Do they really think any learning takes place when it's so hot outside? No more

Have a good one,
Fondly,
Bubs
Old 07-06-2003, 10:13 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It was a hot and sticky one today! It is still 83 degrees and 87% humidity as I type. We spent most of the day at MIL's place on the lake. There is always a breeze there so it didn't seem so hot. We did take the boat out and the sun was HOT so we didn't stay out very long.

Maggie -- You must have made a BIG bowl of potato salad to feed all those people! The gal that I thought I could talk into taking the kittens just got two a week ago. Now I am back to square one.

"Gma" -- I am so glad that the birthday get together went well! Sometimes when we expect the worst, we can be pleasantly surprised. I hope that things will iron out between you, your DD, and SIL. Garlic butter corn sounds good! I have never heard of that before.

Bubbles -- I hope you are feeling better! I think it is hard enough to get back in a post vacation routine without being sick on top of it. I go back to school Aug. 14th and the students come back on the 20th. Iowa passed the law about not starting until after Labor Day but allowed the individual school districts to ask for waivers. DUMB! Their reasoning is that it throws the sports scheduling off if they can't start football before Labor Day. The administration and all of the principals sit in air conditioned offices while the elementary buildings and high school sweat puddles. Our middle school is new enough to be air conditioned and everyone there wears sweaters and sweatshirts to keep warm. The school board doesn't make any allowances for early dismissals because the majority of our enrollment does not make baby sitting arrangements for their younger children. These same kids run the streets all summer long so I don't know what the difference is except they say the school is responsible for them during regular school hours. GRRRR! I may have to use some of my 120 sick days and leave at noon if it gets too hot.

Guess I will check my email and head for the shower. Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:47 AM   #12  

Good gravy didn't everyone just get OUT of school! I guess not! Just seems like it.

Jean: DD presses fresh garlic and sautes it with butter than drizzles on fresh corn, wraps in aluminum foil and puts on top shelf in grill and cooks about 30 minutes. It is really good.

Yesterday went fine and dh and sil got the router problem fixed so now my computer is connected to the internet so I can use mine when dh is on his.

Bubs: Sorry you have been under the weather. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Mags: How did you "quiet" little BBQ with friends go? DGS got his "shrump" for dinner and was in hog heaven last night. I don't know how he ever has time to eat, his little motor mouth started in when we sat down and didn't quit until we got up from the table!

I need to get 4 resumes ready to send out today. Sooner or later I imagine someone might not care how old I am, but the qualifications I bring to the job!

Faye
Old 07-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers!
Our weather is sure strange today! When I did cat chores the humidity was so thick it took your breath away. I just took mail out to the mailbox and it feels like a "cold" front is moving through. The sun is even hiding. That's Iowa . . . if you don't like the weather, just wait an hour or so and it will change!

"Gma" -- We were out of school on May 29th, which is early for us. I will never think of shrimp in the same manner again -- shrump sounds much more interesting! I am assuming the corn is still on the cob? We haven't had any yet but I can almost taste it. The first round of picking is my favorite; the kernels are tiny and almost white. Some of the later pickings can get pretty tough.

I have no place I need to be today so am going to start working on some piles! The washer and dryer are humming away so there will be ironing to do shortly. I've yet to witness a "no iron" dress shirt!

Have a great day!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:28 PM   #14  

Jean: Yes, Kel just puts the butter on the cob. I think she bought the packaged kind in the produce section so it probably came from Calf or something. We don't have fresh yet either though it should be soon. I know! T cracks me up calling it shrump. He sure gobbles it down though. As for dress shirts...dh's go straight to the laundry. He likes them heavy starched and folded so I just take them to the laundry and let them deal with them!

I told one of the other threads I feel like I went 4 rounds with a kangaroo. The pool was really full today and it was tough exercising, but this chubby old bod got it in anyway.

Everyone have a great day. Sunny but VERY VERY humid here.

Faye
Old 07-08-2003, 09:42 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers!
It is pouring here and I have a trickle of water running to the basement drain. It can stop any time!

I have some errands to run this morning and then will work on my Christmas stocking this afternoon. I should just park it on the kitchen table and then maybe I would be more apt to work on it every day. I have 3 more to do to catch up with my growing family!

I noticed I am #14 so whomever is next can start a new thread. Hope you all have a great day.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Closed Thread