General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default A Thread for arts and craft sellers, buyers and window-shoppers on Etsy and elsewhere

Etsy threads have come and gone, but I'm hoping maybe that there are enough of us etsy fans to keep one going. I thought we can use the thread to share and talk about our etsy experiences. So I'll start with some news on my new shop.

I opened my shop, DreamstormDesigns, a couple months ago, and today I made my first sale! A custom Cthulhu dicebag. The customer hasn't convo'd me with her specs yet (I reminded her in a convo, of her choices), but I'm super, super excited.

Anyone else have etsy questions or news? Want to tell us about what you sell? What you buy? What you like to look at?

Last edited by kaplods; 09-27-2011 at 12:50 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Congratulations on your first sale! =D

I really like crafty/folk art type things. I love unique. I love hand-made. There's something really special in my mind about having something that's well made and yet has that wonderful human element about it.

What do the Japanese call it? ... I had to go look it up. Wabi-sabi. That's what I love when I look around. That's what I'm looking for.

Anything with a sense of humor. Anything fantasy related. I'm trying to cut down on all of my "collections" (too much stuff, too much food, too much lots of things... hmm I wonder what my favorite "sin" is! ), but I will always like to browse!

So that's why I like about browsing Etsy.

Last edited by Lovely; 09-24-2011 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Derp. Spelling!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278.8/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Congrats on your first sale! May more come your way!

I love etsy! I've been shopping there since it started up. I go through phases of things that I look for. When I started it was jewelry (earrings, stacking rings). Now it's handmade beauty products. I just bought some awesome soaps and a face serum that hasn't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to.

Every year when I get bitten by the diy planner bug, I search for other diy planners/agendas/organizers to get ideas for my own or to lust after. It's a great source of inspiration. I keep forgetting to heart things, so I lose track of things that I like.
megmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/297/165

Height: 5'7

I have bought a few things on ETSY. Someone was selling homemade washable mop pads. They were great! I need more!!

But Etsy is so hard to navigate and the search function doesn't work very well, so I kind of gave up on the site.
jilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #5  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Kaplods - Congrats on your first sale!! How exciting. I've had a few now and still get a rush every time.

Jilly6 - you mentioned Etsy being difficult to navigate. They've recently updated their search to be sorted by relevancy instead of recency. You also might want to check out Artfire. It's another handmade selling site that I'm a part of and the search is easier to navigate.

I sell knitted items online in a few different venues, although I don't tend to shop homemade as much as I'd like. I still enjoy sifting through all the beautiful items, though.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/297/165

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by booskibabe View Post
Kaplods - Congrats on your first sale!! How exciting. I've had a few now and still get a rush every time.

Jilly6 - you mentioned Etsy being difficult to navigate. They've recently updated their search to be sorted by relevancy instead of recency. You also might want to check out Artfire. It's another handmade selling site that I'm a part of and the search is easier to navigate.

I sell knitted items online in a few different venues, although I don't tend to shop homemade as much as I'd like. I still enjoy sifting through all the beautiful items, though.
I just went over to artfire. I Had never heard of it! What a neat site. Thanks for mentioning it
jilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Congrats on your sale. I like this thread. What a good idea.
I make things out of felt. I don't sell them but I am always going to Esty for inspiration. I have purchased some food felt templates from Etsy. I am making a record bag for my partner and have looked at the bags there for inspiration.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #8  

I changed the name of the thread to open it up to all arts and crafts sellers, buyers, and lookers, not just those on Etsy.

My etsy news, I got my second sale this weekend too. None since, and I'm shipping today or tomorrow.

Can't wait to see what my buyers think. I'm nervous. I think I took good pictures, so they should be pleasantly surprised. Hope so, anyway.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #9  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

I also have an etsy shop under the same name as my artfire one, although I don't promote that one. What do you think of the recent changes to search? (Relevancy instead of how recently it was listed)? My views have actually gone up, but I've heard that it hasn't helped everyone.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Yay! Those first sales, and then everyone after, imo, are SO EXCITING! I love your barbie furniture! I'll have to come back and say more... I'm about to drive my 8 yo to school.

But here is my sadly inactive shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/smileypomegranate?ref=si_shop I'm still proud of it, though. I worked so hard at getting it together and getting good pics and promoting myself. I hope that when my 2 yo is ready to give me a few minutes to list a few things, that the fact that it's established will help me. I think the first few sales are a lot harder bc you have no feedback. And then once you've got some sales under your belt people start thinking your stuff is desirable since people seem to be buying it.

Anyway, HUGE congrats! I totally remember my first sale.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #11  

I made my 3rd sale today! So far, the three sales have all been Cthulhu items. I'm getting more and more views and people "favoriting" my shops and items (especially the Cthulhus and the centaur).
Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #12  
it's always something

Congrats on more sales!

I have been selling supplies on etsy for the last year, but the competition became stiffer and it just wasn't worth it anymore. I am working on handmade items now and hope to reopen in a couple of weeks.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote