Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Default Curves for Activity Points

When I entered the time duration into my app for my first workout at Curves, I was less than impressed. I worked out for 30 minutes. I called it low intensity because I could still talk, no heavy breathing. I was sweating and I could feel the workout. But, maybe I should have counted it as medium intensity? Either way, low intensity was 2 PP earned and medium was 3 PP earned. I was hoping Curves would be an answer to winter workouts. But it seems like I'm going to have to add in more. That's disappointing....Anyone know where I can get a treadmill and elliptical for cheap?! LOL
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #2  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

LOL well.....try craigs list
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #3  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I got a treadmill for $100 on craigslist. It works great!
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #4  

I found one! She's advertising it for $60, but I'm going to get it for $50. Just have to convince my husband and make the drive!

And today, I put my activity in as moderate because I was definitely sweating and a little out of breath. So I can deal with 3 AP points 6 days a week.

I'll keep you ladies informed about the treadmill!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 268/ CW 202.4/ GW 150

Height: 5'1

Curves is resistance training right? The thing with that is that you usually don't get your heart rate up high unless you jump start it to begin with. Maybe try doing a quick run or something first? I find the AP tracker for weights and stuff to be a bit off simply because the intensity check sometimes doesn't match. I may lift heavy but not be out of breath because it isnt the same as cardio. I still probably burned more calories with the weights tho...
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Curves does get in some movement. At least when I checked it out a looong time ago it did. Not sure if it changed since then.

It's a little room with like... 30 stations. The stations are all made up of different activities. In the one I saw there was a stair stepper, a few smaller weight machines, etc. So the bell goes off every... 2 minutes or so? And you move around the stations. It actually can work up a little sweat that way.

I agree that it's difficult to calculate AP for weight lifting, because you aren't necessarily weight lifting for the whole 30 minutes without a couple pauses in there, etc. I just stuck to my AP for my cardio time. I know how much exercise I'm doing so I don't stress.

Granted it may be a whole different ball game for people who like to eat back their AP!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #7  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

They actually have "circuit training" in etools - I've never been to curves but I've always assumed it was that kind of thing. Mixing/alternating strength training and cardio stations with minimal rest. But WW's values for circuit training are... pretty generous! 30 mins of circuit training gives me 8 AP.

If you think your heart rate isn't getting too high, that's definitely overcompensating on AP's.

I am probably just not understanding the idea of Curves - amazing that they are everywhere but if you haven't done it it's a big mystery. You mentioned doing it 6 days a week - are you alternating days for upper body/lower body strength training or am I just wrong in thinking there's strength training in there? Cause when I think of strength training, like yesterday I was at the gym doing lat pulldowns, bench dips, blahblah, I wouldn't want to go back today and do those again, I need a day to recover.

Also wow that sounds like a great deal on a treadmill!
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #8  

Treadmill fell through.

I can't justify a membership to Curves when I only work minimal part time hours. Curves would be $380 a year, Planet Fitness is $160 a year AND includes cardio machines...

If you go to Curves (dot) com you can see the circuit and the machines.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD2008 View Post
Treadmill fell through.
Aww That sucks, I'm sorry.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote