Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/220/150

Height: 5'6"

Default The dreaded stomach flap!

Ok, this is for those who have reached their goal (I have not). I want to talk about my worst enemy-- my tummy flap!!! I HATE IT. I've had two kids. I'm over 200lbs and I don't wanna be graphic, but it hangs down so I can't even see certain things in the mirror ..... what I would love to know is that I have a chance to melt this thing away. I look at my belly and it just looks so hopeless, I can't imagine how it could ever go away. It makes me want to give up on my diet before I even start! Please, if anyone has experience, tell me there's a light at the end of the tunnel????
Ewiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #2  

I am with ya girlfriend...I feel your pain!!! I started on my journey on july 1, 2010 @330# and now I am @ 282#. It has not been an easy journey but I am determined to keep losing as much as I can to have a better quality of life and enjoy my beautiful grandaughter.I look in the mirror and can't really get pass the fact that flap is still there and it totally wipes out my personal vision that i have lost weight because i cant do anything with it. Will someone please tell us there is hope at the end of the tunnel!!
BROWNSUGAR803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #3  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I had a stomach flap much like the one you're describibg when I started. I've had three kids - I don't have a lot of hope of it going away completely. However, it is so, so, SO much better than it was almost 130 lbs ago. Those "things" you can't see? I can see them again! I'm actually sort of reassured that most of the weight I have left to lose is in my stomach/abdomen - that means I have a lot time weight loss wise for it to melt off more. I think I will always sag a bit there, but I really think it's more from pregnancy than from being overweight.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

I never had a flap, but my tummy did look like a wrinkly lumpy bowl of jelly after I gave birth. That was two and a half years ago now and I'm finally starting to like my belly again.
It's not impossible. I spent a lot of time looking at theshapeofamother.com so I at least knew what to expect my tummy to look like after delivering. Before finding that site, I assumed everyone looked like Heidi klum after having a baby.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #5  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

Mine has never gone away. I had mine before I had kids-I've lost and gained a large amount of weight several times over. Even when I got down to 115 I still had a pooch there. I've never kept my weight steady for years at a time to know for sure, but now I have a c-section scar right at the fold too. I doubt I will ever be rid of it with anything shy of hacking it off surgically.

The smaller I am the less noticeable it is. As big as I have been though, I could forgive myself that flaw if I could just stick to a healthy weight. I'd take the tummy flap over the extra weight any day.
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186.6/166.6/150

Height: 5'2"

OMG!!!!!! Thank you so much for bringing this up!!! As a bigger woman, I"m affraid to mention some of the types of issues that I've experienced because I think that maybe I'm the only one who experiences them (like the belly fold) and I feel horrible about myself. I've been bigger and had the belly fold, pretty much, since I had my son almost 20 years ago. I've never been small enough since then to know/remember what, if anything will happen to it. Thanks for your honesty and courage. )
proulxliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/220/150

I felt this would be the best place to be honest about something like this! I know everyone else is struggling with the same issues I am, and that makes me feel better. @eclipse, thank you! I'm sure the skin on my Tummy will always be loose, but your comment about at least being able to see what the rest of your body looks like is encouraging to me!! and congrats on the massive weight loss!! What an accomplishment.
Ewiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #8  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Ewiemama, I am in the same boat with all of you ladies. I had my daughter at a young age, 19. After I had her, I had lost the tummy and was very happy with the way I looked (even though I was about 180 lbs). I weighed less after I had my daughter than I did before. Now I have another daughter and I'm 25. Now I weigh more than I have before at 207 (down 13 from my highest weight).

If you have seen the movie Click, you know how I feel about my gut. Like a big tongue I flop back and forth, but a little less skin and a lot more fat. I don't remember having this after my first daughter was born, but I started working out as soon as my doctor said I could (after the 6 week c-section waiting period). Once my second daughter was born, I didn't even try to lose the weight... so I've been this way for almost 2 years (which is hard to believe because the time has just flown by!)

Now, 2 years and 26.6 pounds to lose (for my second mini-goal) I wonder if the problem will go away or just get worse as I lose the weight. I would love to see what other people have to say after they lost weight. I'm 5'6" and 207 lbs. Is anyone in this thread similar and has already lost 30-40 lbs?

I am very curious, as I know a lot of folks are. Please let us know your success stories! (Even if they end up with the flapping tongue gut, lmbo!)
BrittanieYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

I've noticed mine get smaller, and shrink upwards some. I can see a bit of "those things" in the mirror. I suspect it won't ever fully vanish, but I'm okay with that, as long as it looks better than it did at my highest weight.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #10  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Mine may not go away but in my weight loss journey it has gotten quite a bit smaller. Also on my side where the flap started to flap-over (I guess you'd call it) has given way and the flap starts in the front now and not on the side of my hip, really encouraging to me. I don't think I will ever have a taught tummy but it will be drastically improved and will likely be unnoticeable to those who don't see me naked. The one who sees me naked already likes my body just fine.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #11  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
Mine may not go away but in my weight loss journey it has gotten quite a bit smaller. Also on my side where the flap started to flap-over (I guess you'd call it) has given way and the flap starts in the front now and not on the side of my hip, really encouraging to me.

Mine has done that exact same thing. That totally makes me feel lots more normal!!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 337/320/150

Great thread! Thank you! I will let you know when I reach my goal!
LoveManna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 337/320/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
The one who sees me naked already likes my body just fine.
*love*
LoveManna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

I heart this thread. I'm in the tummy flap club too. I'm definatly not done losing yet but as I've lost weight I've seen a lot of improvement. My tummy hasn't shrunk "up" as much as it has shrunk "in". That doesn't sound that good but it does the job when you're not naked. Clothing is not for warmth, its for hiding this kind of stuff. Keep at it.
rbphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbphoenix View Post
Clothing is not for warmth, its for hiding this kind of stuff.
Great reply! I guess that's why they invented this clothing stuff to begin with haha! Your comment gave me a well needed chuckle and I think it's great!
Crystalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote