Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/320/???

Talking My very first post, new to community, LAP BAND

All my life I have been fat. I was a fat kid, I was a fat teenager, and I became a fat adult. Oh sure, I tried every diet that I thought would help. I did the diet and excercise thing (40 lbs), I took phentermine till I thought my head would explode (80 lbs), I drank so many Medi-fast shakes, I had night mares about them (60 lbs), but the weight always came back on.

Well, I finally went to a bariatric surgeon and I am taking the steps to get a LAP band. I have jokingly referred to it as a "C" clamp that is going to choke off my esophagus Don't get me wrong, I take this all very seriously, but I like to joke around alot.

I am scared and excited and freaked out about the cost, my Visa card company is going to love the interest they make off of me. My Surgeon charges a $3000 admin fee (up front of course) and the hosp want to be payed before I check in. I have already set aside $750 in less than 3 weeks. Is is amazing how much you can save when you are motivated.
bornready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

wow. are you self-pay or is this some weird insurance rule? what made you decide on a lap band? it's a good choice for many people - yet everyone chooses a surgery for a different reason.

nice to meet you! keep on posting!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/256/130

Height: 5' 3-1/2"

Hi bornready! I'm a newbie too, and am looking forward to hearing more about your journey! Keep up that motivation & positive thinking!
disneyfan551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

and

Nice to meet you.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #5  

Jiffy, nope, I am not a self pay. The surgeon I chose has a program. It includes access to a nutritionist/therapist, monthly peer couseling sessions and the $3000 helps to pay for the facilities for all the counseling. I talked to another surgeon that is now charging a $4000 admin fee on top of everything else. He has a similar program, but also buys you a gym membership.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Program fees are especially common in CA for some reason. I hope that fee also coveres your fills/unfills for the first year at least; not all insurances cover the fills, and lots of people don't realize that going into it and then have to cough up the $200-400 every time they need an adjustment.

You joke about the C clamp comparison, but I hope you're aware that some folks do have very serious complications with the band, including it slipping up around the esophagus. Not everyone, of course, or they wouldn't still be doing it! But keep your eyes wide open about the many possible complications with the procedure that is often touted as being the "least invasive." Have you researched the VSG at all? I know lots of insurance companies are now covering that as well if you've got your mind set on a restriction-only procedure, and it has better success stats and lower long-term re-operation rates.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #7  

Jilly, my eyes are wide open and my sense of humor is intact, that is how I deal.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornready View Post
Jilly, my eyes are wide open and my sense of humor is intact, that is how I deal.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a sense of humor, as long as you've done extensive research (beyond talking to a surgeon) and are sure about your decision.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote