Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/183/125

Height: 5'4"

Default How much weight did you lose before...?

I'm curious to hear how much weight you had to lose before these things (or other notable changes) occurred:

-someone noticed your weight loss?
-you noticed your weight loss?
-changed clothing size?
-could see the weight loss in your face?
-started thinking about maintaining?
Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #2  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Both of these happened for me at about 30 lbs lost.

-changed clothing size?
My size was probably smaller earlier, but I really HAD to go out and buy some new clothes at around 50 lbs lost. I remember that I was going to a wedding celebration one weekend, and had to buy something new because I literally had not one nice thing that fit well enough to wear.

The first time someone (who didn't already know I was trying to lose weight) noticed was at about 60 lbs lost.

Nowhere near that yet - but I hope to get there by the end of the year.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #3  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I'd say about 30 pounds. My grandmother, who I only see ever so often noticed sooner. I had to lose about 35-40 pounds before people I'm around everyday at work to notice.

About 30 pounds.

-changed clothing size?
At my highest weight I was a loose 20W so I only had to drop about 10 pounds to be a tight 18W..when I lost 40 pounds, I was a baggy 18W but still not able to fit into a 16W

about 20 pounds.

Not maintaining yet! I've ganed 10 pounds over the last year >.< so I'm working just on getting back where I was, which for some reason is much more difficult than it was the first time. My maintaining goal is 170 which is 90 pounds from my start weight. But I won't know for sure until I hit 170...as I think i was a 4th grader when i was 170.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #4  
Forty IS Fabulous!!

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

no one yet who doesn't know what I am doing
20 lbs
-changed clothing size?
just this week--down from a 22/24 top to an 18/20 and down from a 22 pant to a 20.
still don't
that is very far away LOL
Mariposa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Pant Size 12/6/4

I think people started noticing after about 20 lbs. I started to get more and more comments when I got closer to the 40 lb lost mark and it has snowballed since then. Although I am not sure why people feel so inclined to comment since now I am just a "normal" size

I started to go down sizes slowly at first since I think I was squeezing into sizes that were too small at my highest weight. I think once 40 lbs were lost I started really noticing. First I hit the one digits and now I am trying on and wearing some size 4's (albeit somewhat vanity sized ones!). At my highest weight I would say I was a 14 or 16.

I noticed it in my face at the same point (about 40 lbs lost).

I have just started to think about maintaining. I am still 4 lbs from goal but am in no hurry as my real goal was to fit all of the clothing in my closet and I am there now.

Last edited by Harriette; 09-16-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: More info!
Harriette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #6  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

- someone noticed your weight loss?
Maybe about 50 lbs. I didn't reveal to anyone I was doing anything even family and friends until it became kind of really obvious to other people that I was either doing something or really sick. So people really began to ask around 50-60lbs.

To be honest, I still struggle to notice it. I kind of never really realized how big I'd gotten. I only really see it in pictures and in clothes sizes. But I guess I really really started to notice around 65-70 lbs when I hit my previous adult (well from when I was 17yrs old) low weight of 207 lbs.

-changed clothing size?
I probably could have changed clothes sooner but I didn't change clothes till about 50lbs down. I went from a 20 or 18W to a 16W and tight 16 regulars in some "generous" brands.

I didn't have any extra chins or anything even at my heaviest, however I noticed my face was less meaty and that I actually had a bone structure in my face (other than my jawline) maybe around 60 lbs lost.

I haven't yet started really thinking about maintaining. I have however started thinking or reducing my goal weight by 10-15 lbs. In a sense, if I don't lose weight from here on out, it's not the end of the world, I suppose I could be happy maintaining where I am, but at the same time, I feel like I've come so far, I might as well push for goal, where I think I'd be happier.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 09-17-2011 at 08:55 AM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #7  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

About 30 pounds in,probably more I didn't look at my weight until I'd started losing, so maybe 35 or 40 pounds. I was getting frustrated cause no one said anything, unless they knew I was trying.

Oh about 5-10 pounds into it, I lost inches before pounds and still am. But, for sure about a months time I was noticing small changes in my rolls haha!

-changed clothing size?
Hmm, I was 22 before I weighed myself, then 20 when I first weighed myself, I'm not changing sizes appropriately cause I refuse to spend much on new clothes I don't plan on wearing long. I think I fit into a comfy 18 maybe after 2 months, now I'm at a comfy 16, tight 14. It's been 5 months. I hear on these boards that the larger sizes take more pounds to drop. And the smaller the sizes the faster the change cause there isn't as much of a diff.

Oh, shirt sizes, I didn't worry about much, I found out recently I can buy xl shirts in skinny girl shops, so 5 months there too I guess.

I've never held weight in my face much, so I only recently noticed I have no jiggle at all. So 5 months I guess.

Ha! I'm still on losing, I'll stress over maintenance when it comes!

Last edited by ButterCup85; 09-17-2011 at 09:01 AM.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #8  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

About 20 pounds before 1 person that I hadn't told what I was doing noticed, but about 40-50 before it became a regular occurrence.

Around 30 pounds

-changed clothing size?
15 pounds

I could see some changes at about 30-35 pounds, but they started to become really obvious at about 50 pounds

Well, that depends on what you mean. If you mean thinking about it as in thinking that I might be ready to switch over to maintenance, then I'm quite a ways off still. If you mean just thinking about it in general and considering ways that I will be able to handle it and what I will do to keep the weight off after losing it then that started at the same time as I started thinking of how to lose it.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #9  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

about 13%

about 15%

-changed clothing size?
about every 10-15 pounds

about 20%

not quite yet. it will be close to 32% of my January starting weight at the end.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #10  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

my mother started saying she noticed almost right away (like the first week), but she knew I was losing so I don't know how accurate that was. For the rest of the world it was right around 25 lbs/10%

about 18-20 lbs

-changed clothing size?

about the same 10% (25 lbs) that it took for others to notice. Still waiting to go down the next size though, and I'm around 47 lbs now, almost at a second 10% gone so hoping I'm completely in the next size down very soon

slight changes so far, but I carry my weight in my upper body and that includes my face and neck. Hoping that evenually, that's a good thing and I'll be able to lose the weight I want to in my body without my face looking too thin! lol!

still haven't figured out why my final goal weight will be. But the plan I am following has a special phase that comes between actively losing weight called Consolidation. That's 5 days for every lb you've lost where you slowly add back in foods that are currently not permitted while giving your body a chance to really adjust to your new weight. So I'll be in that phase for well over a year before I get to a final maintenance phase (before then, you maintain your weight but within a still pretty regimented eating plan)
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Alright, this might be off a bit because my memory isn't always the best but here goes.

This is a tricky one for me because we moved half way through my weight loss journey so no one where I live locally has seen me at my highest. However, premove a friend mentioned it at about a 20lbs loss. After move (so I was at a much smaller weight), someone noticed after about a 10-15lbs loss.

Almost immediately but I started off running before I did any food changes so I felt better almost immediately. After that I gave up sugar so again I could feel changes right away.

-changed clothing size?

Roughly 20lbs down. Although now it's closer to every 10-15lbs lost.

No clue, my face didn't get that large so I've always paid much more attention to my body. I can notice a difference now (60lbs down) but I have no clue when it first happened.

In what sense? I've thought about how I would maintain this weight from the very beginning. While I do want to lose weight a bigger part of my journey was to stop bad habits and start good ones.

I'm not ready for maintenance yet but starting at 155lbs (top end of healthy BMI) I'm going to just see how I feel and where I want to go. I have some non-scale goals too (be a size 8 or less, have a 28" waist or less, deadlift my own weight eventually) so those will also factor in to when I decide to start maintaining.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/183/125

I guess I wondered about maintenance in terms of your final goal weight changing as you were on this journey. I have a goal weight of 125lbs, which is lower than I've ever been as an adult, but I have journals from when I was 135lbs as an adult and had written about how large I was still, how flabby, etc..and I didn't look small in pictures from that time or anything and was wearing a size 13/14.

I know that sizes have changed and that I'm not in a 'normal' weight range, but I have the exact same measurements now at 165lbs that I did at 135lbs and wear a size 8 or medium for the most part. We could talk about clothing size all day, but that's another issue altogether. I'm not close to goal and I would really like to lose the weight, but I'm thinking about maintenance because 'dieting' affects my athletic performance. I find it hard to go out and do 20mile runs without the right amount of fuel and the right amount goes over my points everytime.

Anyone ever choose to abandon a lower goal weight for a higher one for various reasons?
Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

To answer that, yes, I recently changed my goal weight to 175 from 165. I plan on TTC, starting next month, and in my first pregnancy I had extreme morning (all day, really) sickness and lost 25lbs by the second trimester. I was heavier in my 1st pregnancy, and the weightless wasn't an issue then, but I want an extra 10lbs just in case. Postpartum I might maintain at 175, or reevaluate and get down to 165.

Last edited by fattymcfatty; 09-17-2011 at 12:01 PM.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #14  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileen View Post
I guess I wondered about maintenance in terms of your final goal weight changing as you were on this journey. I have a goal weight of 125lbs, which is lower than I've ever been as an adult, but I have journals from when I was 135lbs as an adult and had written about how large I was still, how flabby, etc..and I didn't look small in pictures from that time or anything and was wearing a size 13/14.

I know that sizes have changed and that I'm not in a 'normal' weight range, but I have the exact same measurements now at 165lbs that I did at 135lbs and wear a size 8 or medium for the most part. We could talk about clothing size all day, but that's another issue altogether. I'm not close to goal and I would really like to lose the weight, but I'm thinking about maintenance because 'dieting' affects my athletic performance. I find it hard to go out and do 20mile runs without the right amount of fuel and the right amount goes over my points everytime.

Anyone ever choose to abandon a lower goal weight for a higher one for various reasons?
Ok, gotcha ya.

Then, sort of? My main goal weight is 155lbs and 140lbs was the weight I was in high school so it's a pseudo-goal of mine. I'm weight lifting now and I know it's already changed my body composition some (I have clothes before gaining all the weight that I'm wearing about 10-15lbs before I could wear them before) so I'm not sure if I will necessarily need to go down as far as 140lbs to be where I was at before.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #15  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Well, my parents comment on it every time they see me. Nobody else has said anything yet, and I don't think they will until I've lost between 50-80 lbs. If they say anything at all.

I think I really started to feel the difference at about 260 or 255.

-changed clothing size?

I was a very loose 24/very tight 22 when I started, and my 2x button down shirts were either straining or couldn't even be buttoned up. I'm still in 22s, but the pants are much more comfortable (starting to get loose, actually), and my shirts look and feel looser too, not like they're about to lose their buttons when I wear them.

Probably about 265 or 260.

Haven't yet.

Last edited by theox; 09-17-2011 at 07:22 PM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote