Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/260/190

Height: 5'8

Default The Woes and Suprises of watching Sodium

Hi, so I’m just a few days into my diet, some slips here and there but nothing tragic. All I am doing is watching sodium (because the doctor said I had too) and I decided if I am going to do that I’ll watch calories too. What’s kinda cool about this is that I usually run into my sodium limit way before my calorie limit and in turn that keeps the fat and other nasty stuff down. The bad part is I miss flavor I my food ;(. Oh well, I am going to post on Monday and give the results of my first weigh in/blood pressure check. I had this problem in High School and I remember it correcting itself somewhat quickly, but now I’m 30 not 17 but I already “feel” like a new man so I’m sure Monday is going to be a wonderful day . TTYL guys!
nerdychubbyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I had to start watching my sodium intake after I had my son. It takes a bit of getting used to, but your taste buds adjust and soon anything processed will taste way too salty to you.

You can make your food more flavorful by adding herbs and spices. Also, lemon juice helps add that "extra something" without added salt.

The hardest thing for me was finding low-sodium crunchy snack foods that I liked. Unsalted pretzels are not tasty, by the way! I really love sweet potato chips and they are low in sodium. Fritos make a lower sodium version too. Just watch the portions and don't eat them all the time.

My numbers dropped significantly in a couple of weeks, so you should see improvement fairly quickly (I'm over 30.) Good luck!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/260/190

Height: 5'8

Yeah, I discovered lemon juice last night and vinegar I find can add that something too. What is sucking the most right now is I'm still getting rid of or slowly eating away all my old high sodium stuff (like in small portions) and so I'm being left hungry a lot. Thank god for Subway tho for when I'm at school or just not close to home... lol... I can't eat anywhere else at leas for a while.

I just can't wait for my body to get back to normal cuz I do have a weakness for pizza -._-.
nerdychubbyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Check with your doctor and see if you can use "Also Salt".

It is without a doubt the best tasting salt substitute ever. It is Sodium free. Each 1/4 teaspoon contains 356 mg of Potassium Chloride.

Larry,
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote