Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Giving up pop!

After watching Sugar: The Bitter Truth last night, it really was the final push for me it give up Diet Coke. I know it doesn't have HFCS or sugar in it but I really don't feel comfortable with the company's practices described in the video (something I've known about but I really needed a good reminder!). The whole ad campaign with HFCS bothers me too. Also, my nutritionist has been bugging me to give it up but I've really been dragging my feet...

So, I dumped out the remainder of the Diet Coke at home and am on Day 1 today. It's funny because after dinner last night I had some Diet Coke (before watching the video) and almost immediately afterwards I felt hungry even though I had plenty to eat at dinner. It seems counterintuitive for me to eat healthy and then drink something that makes me hungrier so I'm determined to do this! I'm writing this here to keep myself accountable.

Anybody want to join me?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

BAHAHAH sorry but at first glance, I thought your post was "Giving up POOP" lol

I know what you mean about the evils of Diet Coke, i was soooo in love with it at one point - and i never just drank it on its own, it was ALWAYS with a delicious salty snack, or even a sweet one! multi purpose

I'll have one now and again if i'm out for supper and it's soooo delicious still to me!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #3  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

i am on day 13 of no diet soda......its hard for me lol but one day at a time
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #4  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

I'm really glad sometimes that I can't have artificial sweeteners. I can see myself becoming a hard core diet Dr. Pepper addict if given the opportunity. My DH just switched from regular soda to diet and it's been a good change for him. He was averaging around 5 regular Cokes per day, and now he's drinking maybe 3 diet sodas a week instead. It's been a good change for him, but he's not one to snack at all.

After all that (mostly pointless) rambling, good luck! You can do it!

Last edited by Gale02; 09-15-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I never drank diet thanks to being allergic to most artificial sweetners. However, I was a serious Mountain Dew drinker - and haven't had one since May of 2010. I'm not going to lie - I really miss my Dew, but the trade off has been worth it!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

nope, sorry, you'll have to pry my Diet Coke out of my cold, dead hands! I enjoy it, it makes me happy to stay on plan and I only have 1 or 2 a day with no adverse affects.

But good luck to you - this is such an individual journey and if this works to make it a better experience for you, then yay!!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

"Sugar the Bitter Truth" has me on board as well! I am going to be label reading. I wasn't a soda drinker but I liked Orange Juice and I thought it was okay. The video showed me why I was wrong about that.

I'm with you!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I gave up soda 9 months ago and I am SOOOO happy with the results! I stopped drinking mainly because I started drinking more water and I can only drink so much liquid! I was also trying to cut out the artificial sweeteners. I used to drink as much as a 6 pack in a day!! After a few weeks, I wasn't even craving it. Recently, a friend brought me a DrPepper and I decided to indulge. And it tasted terrible to me! It was way to bubbly and made me feel uncomfortably full! So, I think I'm cured! I don't even think about it or miss it anymore. I think there is a lot of truth to the explanation of how your body processes the sugar or sugar substitute and how that can effect your hunger levels...
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #9  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
nope, sorry, you'll have to pry my Diet Coke out of my cold, dead hands! I enjoy it, it makes me happy to stay on plan and I only have 1 or 2 a day with no adverse affects.

But good luck to you - this is such an individual journey and if this works to make it a better experience for you, then yay!!

I only have a few drinks of choice: White Merlot, Water, and Diet Coke--in NO particular order.
I usually only have DC when I go to work at night, and I limit it to only 2 in a 12 hr shift, but now that you've brought it up, I think I'll have one, kinda off plan for the day. If I decided today to trash it, it wouldn't be the end of the world-I mean, I've almost given up cake and that was my ultimate FAVE!
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 247.7/224.3/155

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on giving up the pop! I gave it up 2.5 months ago!
TransformingMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I only drank caffeine free diet soda on occasion, so there wasn't the caffeine problem, too. But I stopped drinking soda in January when I decided to lose weight. My DD left a 12 oz bottle of diet root beer here after a recent visit and I admit it tasted good when I drank it - over the course of 4 or 5 days. Just a little taste treat after supper. I applaud you for quitting it cold turkey! It's hard to change long term habits.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #12  

Hi. My name is Rainbowgirl, and I am a Coca-Cola (Classic) addict.

Pause for bored "Hi Rainbowgirl" chorus.

It's great that you are going to give it up - I wish I had that much willpower. I will say, that I have been able to cut back significantly. I was drinking 2-3 cans at work plus a 591 mL bottle at work, plus a can or two at home after work. Since September 6, I have had 4 cans (three of which were on my ultra-off-plan day last Saturday). I had one can last night and drank maybe 3/4 of it. I wasn't even craving it, I just felt like having it. And I don't even really remember drinking it, to be terribly honest.

It is probably one of the hardest things to quit that isn't nicotine, alcohol, or drugs. At least for me anyway. And I would wager that much of my weight is due to over-indulgence of Coke rather than anything else.

I will probably never give it completely up, but I am going to strive to treat it the way we did growing up: as a treat.

I wish you the best of luck on it! And while I'm "in", I'm only partially "in" because I don't think I'll be totally abstinent from it.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #13  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

I will admit to being a Mountain Dew drinker. I slowly weaned myself off the caffeine and sugar. Once I started WW, I was not drinking the soda...I must of weaned myself off of the stuff because I was not craving the stuff.

I do have 48 Mountain Dews still sitting in the box and they are not tempting at all. When you are a soda drinker, you wait for the sales.

I could never drink the Diet stuff because I would get headaches going into migraines, so I went with the real stuff and I guess you could say the weight was going up.

Now, that I got all the caffeine and sugar out of my system, I am not craving sugar. I need to read the article above on sugar, I may be sorry I read the article and end up trashing the leftover Mountain Dew.

Great going on giving up the soda!
WannaBeLoserAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/191

I also gave up sodas two weeks ago! I feel much better! I'm trying to avoid artificial sweeteners too.
I love iced tea, and I've started drinking some sparkling waters.
1049jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #15  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

I tried giving up diet soda.

Now, I'm the girl who used to consider fried chicken a food group, and who hasn't had it since February. I've kicked Second Life, which is only slightly less addictive than crack. In short, I've got plenty of moxie when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yeah. I lasted about two days. Luckily, Diet Coke actually *slakes* my appetite when I'm on-plan.

Good on you for doing this. I admire *your* moxie.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote