Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Self-conscious about running...will this ever go away?

I've always been a walker. A fast walker. And I figured, once I really started my weight loss in earnest, that after a while I would take up jogging/running instead (because I knew that eventually I'd need to kick things up a bit if I wanted the weight loss to continue.)

So at this point I've lost 42 pounds, and I figured that by this point I wouldn't be as self-conscious as I used to be. And in normal situations, I'm really not. But for some reason, I seem to have some kind of block when it comes to actually starting to run. I want to, but every time I try and build up my courage to start, there's always this little voice in my head going, "When people see you, they're going to think, 'Holy ****, she's too fat to run!'" Of course my rational mind knows that people have better things to do than watch me as I run, but you can't be rational all the time, right? Ugh.

So for all you runners....can you relate? How did you overcome the "block"? I really want to run (or at least try to) but at the moment I'm my own biggest obstacle, and I don't know how to get over it.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Can I EVER identify with you. I was just under 200 pounds when I started to run. Honestly, I knew people were saying all kinds of things about me. My advice? Absolutely get over it. You are already in the zone girl! I found wearing an iPod helped me stay motivated. As your body becomes accustomed to the feeling of a run, you will come to feel more comfortable. As far as what people may say meanwhile? Chances are they are haters and your journey is making them uncomfortable.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey Congrats on your -42!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #4  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Don't let what you "think" other people are saying/thinking about you stop you from running!! You should focus on taking care of you and doing what makes you feel good and feel happy. As for me, I really don't care what people think of me when I am out exercising. I am taking care of my body and doing what needs to be done! Good luck and I hope you are able to overcome this!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I was way bigger than you are when I started jogging... about 240lb. I still weigh way more than you now, at 210lb! I don't worry about it at all! I wasn't super comfortable when I first started -- I mostly jogged in the evenings (darkish!) around my neighborhood on less used streets. I also bought some running clothes that I'm really comfortable in. Capri length running pants with a Tshirt works well for me. The pant legs don't ride up and they suck in the jiggle a bit! I eventually started going to the gym, and I was nervous. But forced myself to go and everyone was really nice. FOr reals. I was surprised. And it helped when I realized that I was jogging faster/farther than a lot of people who came in! I go to a neighborhood gym with a WIDE variety of customers. In 7 months of jogging on streets and at the gym, no one has EVER been rude to me. At least not about jogging! :P

SO, just do it! You will love it! I started in Feb, and couldn't really even jog a full minute without stopping to walk. Now I can jog a full 3.5 miles before I stop to walk. ANd I can walk/run 6 miles easy. My legs are toning up like crazy and I love to jog now. I was NEVER an exerciser before!

Last edited by Jen516; 09-15-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/183/125

Height: 5'4"

Put on some headphones and just ignore it.

I started running at over 200lbs and ran a full marathon at 180lbs. I often get teenagers and rude old men hollering things at me when I'm running, I also get a lot of disbelief when I discuss running with colleagues. I work in an office full of runners and have had some extremely rude things said to me because people don't believe that I can run.

If you enjoy running, nothing will help you on your weight loss journey more! (IMO) You are also going to be a very strong runner because your body is used to carrying a heavy load, imagine how much faster and fitter you'll be when you're a light load.
Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #7  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

firstly, i'd recommend a run/ walk training guide to start off-- like couch to 5k. that will help ease you into starting to run. another thing that helped me was the nike+ system-- i happened to already have an ipod nano, and the nike + is a literal voice in my ear that helped me track how far i'd gone and how fast i am-- i think that that helped me feel less alone when i got started.

secondly, once you start running, after a long distance, all your mental facilities will be focused on getting your body to continue to run because you are tired that the self conciousness goes away.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I started running at 268 lbs, and you know, I was self conscious at first. As I've been shedding pounds and getting better I had some of the same old people, just as unhealthy as ever pass me in their cars,and even sometimes cuss at me, flip me off, yell mean things at me, etc and for no other reason than I was running. (That was in KY, however. In AZ people are a lot more nice and active) Those people made me feel more powerful. If they really felt they had to try to bring me down with their filthy sentiments, that means that I am powerful in my endeavor. On the flip side, I had really nice people who would yell words of encouragement, smile and wave, and one old man even told me I was "Kicking ***". The bottom line is, you do what you want for you-don't prevent yourself from doing it just because you fear ridicule.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #9  
KakeJ

S/C/G: 295/195/175

Height: 5'91/2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatferretfanatic View Post
I started running at 268 lbs, and you know, I was self conscious at first. As I've been shedding pounds and getting better I had some of the same old people, just as unhealthy as ever pass me in their cars,and even sometimes cuss at me, flip me off, yell mean things at me, etc and for no other reason than I was running. (That was in KY, however. In AZ people are a lot more nice and active) Those people made me feel more powerful. If they really felt they had to try to bring me down with their filthy sentiments, that means that I am powerful in my endeavor. On the flip side, I had really nice people who would yell words of encouragement, smile and wave, and one old man even told me I was "Kicking ***". The bottom line is, you do what you want for you-don't prevent yourself from doing it just because you fear ridicule.
Great advice, If they are saying negative or hurtful things, they are not worth your thoughts, and if you are afraid of what they are thinking about what you're doing, Just show them. I can tell you there are many more people who will think ." Hey That's what i should be doing! That woman has it together and is doing it!" You're working on fixing what you think needs fixing.That's cool. Think about your goals for you alone and leave the haters to wallow in their own self loathing as they drive by for the 1/4 mile trip to get a box of donoughnuts. There are many more people who will drive by in silent admiration and you may inspire them to start their own self improvement journey.It's about you and what you think, isn't it? I find the above posts very inspirational and will be be out there soon.
kakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #10  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Just ignore it and go! I'm still self conscious while running, but I tell myself that I can't let what I think other people are saying stop me from doing what I want to do. Once you start, you'll be in a zone and you won't even notice it.

Music helps a lot as well.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #11  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

In my case, it went away.

I was a fat kid and in jr. high, Mondays and Fridays were running days in PE. The most we ever ran was like 1.5 miles, but it felt impossible, I was always the last one done and I had such a complex about running after that!

I started running 2 years ago (I was probably around 190 lb. at the time) in this quiet little neighborhood park. No one was ever there, so I just decided to try one day. One loop around the park is about 1/3 of a mile; I couldn't even get 1/2 way around the loop the first time. I hated that. I still had that embarassed fat kid in my head, but I decided I had to stop judging myself and accept that I had to start somewhere.

The more I worked at it and improved, the more confidence I gained. I got over the self-consciousness and I ran my first 1/2 marathon this May!

Just try. Be patient with yourself. Go kick a$$!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #12  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

You know, to tlook at the other side of things, theres NO AREASON that you have to run! Walking realy is the best fat loss aid.... f it aint broke, why fIx it?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #13  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I say go for it. It's easier said than done, but try not to worry about what other people think. You're trying to lose weight and get healthier, that is all that matters. Running burns 40% more than walking (measured by the same distance). I just read some very interesting articles about this on runner's world. Please don't let what other people "might be thinking" stop you from a terrific activity that is so good for you.

Best wishes!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

I used to be afraid... I even fell on the treadmill my few couple weeks of running.... but I kept going... people are actually more encouraging than I thought.

edit:: I should note though that I love the elliptical... I recently found that my attempts of running and walking built up my confidence and then with me going hardcore on the elliptical it enabled me to now sprint on the treadmill!

Last edited by liliesinmycereal; 09-19-2011 at 02:06 PM.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #15  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm 201 and I jog. My experience has been nothing but positive. I see people look at me jogging and they actually make sheepish excuses to me about why they are only walking. Rather than ridiculing me, I find they seem to be impressed.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote