Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Default New "does anyone belong to other forums" question

Hi, all. When a similarly titled post went up the other day, I thought it might be a good place for me to see if anyone had any other sites they visit. I wasn't prepared for the original poster's question, which has now been deleted, and her comment later and her stopping the thread.

I am just curious if anyone has other sites they go to for support and advice. I used to go to about.com's weight loss board, but it was pretty hostile sometimes. One post on there led me here, though, so I'm thankfull for that. I can't imagine a site with more information or support of all kinds available than this one. I really pay attention to most of the threads in the 100 pound club section, and some of those get very "friendly." The monthly weigh in one and the 200's moving toward onederland are 2 that are particularly chatty and seem like everyone is friends. So are the "decade" threads. I think real friendships are forged here.

I'm not really looking for different support - just wondered if anyone felt there was more out there worth looking into.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 09-14-2011 at 04:40 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #2  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I belong to myfitnesspal.

Let me start with the good...I count calories and their database is massive, I have a few pals who can see my information and I can see theirs, so that's really nice.

Now for the bad...I've perused the forums and there are a few nasty people (ok, a lot) out there. Some (ok, many) have the attitude of "I know everything and if you don't do it my way you're going to go straight to h***". It seems rather elitist IMHO.

I prefer 3FC because every pound is seen as a victory, even the half pounds!

Last edited by PreciousMissy; 09-14-2011 at 04:46 PM.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I'm a member of WW, and as such use the WW Online to track my Points, etc.

They have a Community section....but frankly it's rather lackluster.

The Message Boards are cliquish, and off-putting.

The Community Groups are definitely better, but they are nowhere near as informative or thought-provoking. Plus the setup for them is so awfully designed that you can't find any old information. It's just very clunky.

I've heard horror stories of other (not to be named) weight loss forums, and find myself merely being content to stay here. I'm lucky this was the first forum I ever found. I've been spoiled!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

I've been looking at and researching The 17-Day Diet, and discovered there is a Facebook group that follows this plan. I "liked" the group on FB, and so far have noticed that they all seem supportive and upbeat.
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Maybe we really do have the absolute best forum here at 3FC! When I was visiting the about.com site, I thought the information was limited. There were a few very active members and they gave great information. But there seemed to be a "my way of losing is the best way" attitude from some. I can't believe my good fortune in stumbling upon this site. The only thing that would make it better is if we could set up periodic mandatory meetings where we could actually meet in real life! I know there are some in here who have connected with other members. I'd love to do that some day. I've seen a couple people who are in western PA and that might not be too hard to do - the Grove City outlet mall is about half way between me and Pittsburgh. A day of shopping for smaller clothes might be fun!

I don't strictly count calories - I pretty much know what I should eat - but myfittnesspal might be an interesting site to check out.

As for sites with mean-spirited members - well, that's what the internet allows us to be sometimes. That's one of the reasons I put my real photo up here - I'm not anonymous that way. I doubt that I'd be mean to anyone, but this way it's like you can see who I am and if we ever crossed paths you might recognize me. I'd hate it if I had ever said something that hurt anyone's feelings!

I'll check out the sites that were mentioned, but am happy to know that this seems to be the friendliest weight loss forum out there.

Lin

I
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #6  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
The only thing that would make it better is if we could set up periodic mandatory meetings where we could actually meet in real life! I know there are some in here who have connected with other members. I'd love to do that some day. I've seen a couple people who are in western PA and that might not be too hard to do - the Grove City outlet mall is about half way between me and Pittsburgh. A day of shopping for smaller clothes might be fun!
I like the idea of "meetings"!!!! I think mandatory would be too much pressure for some people if they weren't able to make it to the location, but I think it's a great idea for people to do something locally.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Over the last decade or so I have joined a few groups. Most were okay if not good, but I never stuck around too long. I'd "cheat" and give up, forget my password and never go back. When I started here I had already lost my first 60 pounds and was looking for support because I was pretty sure I was annoying my family and friends with "diet" talk all the time. It was a great way for me to talk about my obsession and not drive my real life people nuts. A few awesome women took me under their wing and even though the original 2 have long since gone, I've stuck around. Sometimes I tick people off. I usually don't mean to, and I try not to preach anymore...but the ones that drive me nuts I have learned to ignore and I hope they do the same to me!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
I'm a member of WW, and as such use the WW Online to track my Points, etc.

They have a Community section....but frankly it's rather lackluster.

The Message Boards are cliquish, and off-putting.

The Community Groups are definitely better, but they are nowhere near as informative or thought-provoking. Plus the setup for them is so awfully designed that you can't find any old information. It's just very clunky.

I've heard horror stories of other (not to be named) weight loss forums, and find myself merely being content to stay here. I'm lucky this was the first forum I ever found. I've been spoiled!
I did the WW message boards years ago... 2006 or so. They were very snarky on there, incredibly clique-y, even rude at times, and it felt very shaming to go off plan. I didn't get the feeling of support as I have here when I've leaned on the board during rough moments. I also feel there is more information on here. I am pretty happy with 3FC.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've tried a lot of the other weight loss boards, but 3FC has impressed me the most overall, which is why this is the site I visit daily.

Second place (which I haven't visited in a while) goes to Spark People. Every once in a while I still check in over there, and I keep planning on using some of their fun little apps, but I just never stick with it the way I do here at 3FC.

I like the idea of "teams" and all the ways you can earn "points" on the Spark People website, but I've developed closer relationships here, so this is the first place I think of heading.

One of the reasons I think I haven't spent more time over there is that in one of the Team forums on the Spark People website, I ended up with a very angry cyber-stalker on my tail. She sent super crazy posts every time I posted about how cruel and insensitive and horrible a person I was, essentially because I had complained about my health issues on a bad day, and she decided that since her problems were far worse, I was a b**** for whining, etc. The more rational I was in response, and the more I tried to offer the olive branch and calm her, the crazier she got.

That could happen anywhere, even here - but I started avoiding the website, just so I could avoid crazy-lady (even though I was getting pm's from other members expressing support and mystification at crazy-lady's tirades).

I keep thinking I'll go back, but I usually don't. I like it here. I have more friends here, and the atmosphere is less volatile. I like that for the most part, people here can disagree and even discuss their opposing viewpoints with far less name-calling, cliquishness, and grudge-holding.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-14-2011 at 07:43 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I've tried the 40 something thread on 3FC but I get too lonely for my 'regulars' and always come back here My deep dark secret is that I post on a Bachelor/ette board! yes i'm THAT big a loser heheheh
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

I've just found "ObesityDiscussion.com," which has some interesting forums. I'll let you know more after I've explored it a bit more.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I vaguely recall joining another weight loss forum at the same time I joined 3FC. Clearly it didn't click with me, and 3FC did because I'm still here! I love the community here and for the most part everyone is really nice and supportive.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #13  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

3fc is definitely the best weight loss forum I've found. There are trolls and spammers everywhere you go, but at least here, there are steps taken to get rid of them.

And yes, I do sometimes scratch my head and wonder why people who have only 10 lbs to lose post on the 100 lb club, although I guess the name can be confused - if the 300 lb club is for people who weight 300 lbs and up, then it's a reasonable assumption that the 100 lb club is for people who weigh 100 lbs to 199 lbs.

But aside from that minor quibble, this place is fantastic - great people supporting each other for a common goal. I learn something new, get some support and get to try to help others on a daily basis. And it's free! lol!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #14  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I tried the WW Community and I have to agree with Lovely and it was very lackluster.

@Lin -- You might not know this but there WAS a 3FC 100lb. gang that met up and went to an Oprah show taping YEARS ago. I always wished I had gone. Sandi went though! Maybe she can chime in about it.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I used to love the Shape forums, but they appear to have folded. Good bunch of posters there.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote