Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #1  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Restoring Lost Motivation

I'm having a problem guys.

I was doing so well. I lost 50 pounds. I went from a size 24 to a size 20. I had a lot more energy. I was generally in a better mood...

Then... I got a really bad sinus infection which meant lots of meds (and also comfort foods and no exercise). Then... I stopped working which meant no more regular movement during then day. Then... I moved and during the fuss and crazy times I ate a lot of junk.

It's been a month. I've sorta started working out again (I go to the fitness center about 3x a week), but I still don't go to work and move around every day like I used to. I get most of my water in, most of the time. I start the day intending to eat right, plan my food etc... Then I get bored sitting at home with the cats while hubby is in class, and I eat to alleviate the boredom.

I don't know what to do. I'm stuck. I want to lose the weight. I want to keep going. 250 is not exactly a 'goal weight' for most people, and it definitely isn't for me. I know it's much better than the 300 pounds I used to weigh, but it's not where I want to stay. I just have such a hard time getting back into it because I'm bored at home all the time.

Then there's the issue of feeling a bit out of place, kinda sad because I'm away from my friends and family... and generally not fitting in with this environment. So comfort foods fill my fridge without my meaning to.

I applied for a few available positions locally with the company I work for, so hopefully that will help. But in the mean time...

Any thoughts? Ideas? Pogo is only so entertaining.

Last edited by konfyoozed; 09-14-2011 at 01:51 PM.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #2  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Anytime you want to go on pogo or eat something out of boredom, check out an exercise video on youtube or exercise tv, do that . . . . it doesnt have to be long one at all, but it'll get you moving for sure.
You can even try different forms of movement, make monday a dance day, tuesday a new strength exercise day, wednesday a skipping or jumping jacks day . . . it can be fun if you want it to be
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I first want to say I completely understand where you're coming from.

About 3 years ago I'd lost about 100 pounds, then moved/married and didn't really fit in with the new environment. Not that those were the only factors, but boredom, bad choices, and a few other things lead me to gain back almost every pound I lost.

So, good for you for looking to avoid that pitfall!

Hopefully a job will help when that comes up!

Added to that, have a routine. Schedule in things to do. Even if the things to do are hobbies or crafts or catching up on a show or housework or taking a stroll around the neighborhood. Write it down. Hang it up on the fridge or some cabinets. So when you're bored, you can instead go to that "To Do" list first.

And if you need support during "bored" times, I've often found reading articles on 3FC keeps my hands busy and keeps my mind off food.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #4  
~Kim~

Hey Mandy! It's good to see a post from you. I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I completely know from experience that it is really hard to stay on track when you have a lot going on.

I know we would love to have you back over in the Chicks up for a Challenge section. Someone even mentioned you the other day. =) If you feel like coming back we changed the name from Autumn Beauties to On-Plan Beauties. Everyone is really really motivated over there right now so maybe the support will help.

Either way I hope you find something to help get you back on plan!
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Hey, Mandy - I know you've had a lot on your plate recently. Being the new kid in town isn't easy, especially when your husband is probably very busy with school. Have you looked into volunteering? Church - schools - soup kitchens - your gym? It might open you up to a new group of like minded people. Or have you considered joining a TOPS or WW group? I know you don't need them to lose weight - you've done a fantastic job on your own - but it might be a way to meet new people in your neighborhood.

I know you will get your motivation back. Just keep coming in here. Remember that the food is a temporary comfort. Staying on plan is where the real satisfaction lies. You did this before and can do it again. Think of how neat it will be when you see family and friends from "home" again - they'll really notice weight loss if they haven'y seen you in a while. YOU CAN DO THIS. (I'm not yelling - just making sure you hear me!)

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #6  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Thanks guys.

I have missed posting here, and I think that might be a big source of my loss of motivation. I've met someone here, that's a friend of my husband's from when he was here last year, and she was recently diagnosed as diabetic and wants to work on getting in shape. However, we've had a hard time meeting up for exercise because her schedule is so wonky. When she's free, I'm trying to spend time with my husband. So, I've been going with my husband, and actually managed to do the 28 min + 5 min cool down weight loss program on the elliptical the other day and it was fantastic.

I think having a job will be a big big help. It will allow me to meet people that aren't my husband's friends or seminary students. Which is why I don't really feel like I fit in. I've always been a fairly private person when it comes to my religious views. I feel like my relationship with God is a personal matter, and though I'm willing to share it with anyone who asks me about it, I don't really talk about it much in my day-to-day. Here, it's all God, all the time and I haven't really adjusted to that yet.

I am very much looking forward to my ankle being all healed up (I was told around January if I behave myself) and then I can start the C25K program, which I've been itching to try.

Until then, I renewed my subscription to shockwave, and I'm hoping the pointless mindnumbing games will work as they have in the past to distract me from everything... including being sad over missing my family and friends, and my boredom and desire to eat!
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I wish I could hug you for real.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #8  
nanmalott

S/C/G: 240/173/160

Have you tried volunteer work in your new community to make some new friends and relieve your boredom until a "real" job comes along. It might help if you get into a routine and get your motivation back. Good luck in your new home and on your diet.

nanmalott
nanmalott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #9  

I just want to say I can relate to this, I understand, and wish you the best of luck.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #10  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Hey Mandy -- I hope that getting back in the routine of posting will help a bit. To fill of the other "bored" time I think you've got a lot of good suggestions and probably have some new ideas on how to avoid the boredom eating. Work is definitely going to be the easiest way to fill up a lot of that extra time so hopefully you can find some kind of volunteer work to keep you busy until a job pans out. I'm sure there must be a plethora of organizations or schools even that would be happy to have someone willing to volunteer for several hours a day.

It's good to have you back here though. Rest assured that you're in good company and that everyone here has had tough times due to one rough circumstance or another. (This is from the women who's been in the 250's for 57 days now! )

P.S. - Boredom eating is my biggest downfall as well so I totally understand where you're coming from and agree that it is SO easy to snack when you're sitting at home all day. But I have faith that you'll figure this out and be back to losing the weight you want in no time!

JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote