Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/tracker/130

Height: 5'1"

Default Don't want my Bodybugg Armband to show

I'm considering purchasing a Bodybugg as it seems a lot of people swear by it and I'm having a difficult time estimating how many calories I burn accurately. (Am I plateauing because I'm eating too little due to my calories burned or am I plateauing because I'm overestimating how many calories I've burned and thus overeating? I have no idea!!!!) I even have a hard time calculating figuring out how many calories I should eat. I use LiveStrong's myplate which gives me a 500cal deficit at 1440 cal, but another estimator I used suggested I should be eating around 1700 and another said 1700 was my BMR with no deficit!

Mostly I'm concerned about wearing the armband everyday. I don't want to have something that shows everyday underneath my sweater, ruining the line of my clothes that I'm working so hard to look good in or peeking out from a short sleeve shirt. I'm pretty self-conscious about my weight loss efforts, particularly in my office where I work with a bunch of skinny Cher Horowitz "I feel like such a heifer" types who I feel like don't understand what a struggle it is for me. I don't want to invite questions.

Maybe I should just be loud and proud about it, like so many wonderful people on here are, but I'm not. For those of you that wear a Bodybugg, how easy is it to hide? On days when you wear something tight/sleeveless, can you use the data to estimate for that day? Are there any other products that have smaller profiles/worn on ankles/hips, etc that I should look into?
ald41085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/200/155

Height: 5'10"

Honesty, I only wear mine when I'm wearing longer sleeves that can hide it
TianaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 297/267/155

Over on the BB boards there is a thread about this. Several people said they wear theirs in their bra on the left side under their armpit. Some say the calorie burn is accurate and some say it is off. I have never done it so I can't really say.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #4  

I have been using my Bodybugg for 3 weeks now, and I have worn it in my bra a couple times, when I was going out for the evening and didn't want it to show. Granted, I wasn't exercising, so I can't speak to how accurate it would be for that, but the readings I got for just regular daily activity seemed right in line with my readings with it strapped on my arm. So that's what I plan to do for times when I don't want it to show.
LindaWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #5  

This is one of the reasons I got the FitBit instead. I think the BodyBugg is probably more accurate than the FitBit - as the FitBit is really just a fancy pedometer. But for now the FitBit is doing enough for me and at $99 it wasn't a huge investment and doesn't require a monthly fee or subscription.

I told myself that if I really get into monitoring calories burned and I find the FitBit doesn't seem to accurate enough, I'll switch to something like the BodyBugg. It'd be neat to have both - to compare or to alternate on days you don't want to wear an armband.
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

I use to wear loose sleeved tops with mine and it hides it very well.

I love my Bodybugg! I have lost all my weight but I continue to wear it everyday like it's a part of my body. I wear the cutest sleeveless dresses and I don't care anymore if it shows. At first I hid it but now it's so much a part of me that I am lost without it. I don't track so much online anymore (I should!) but I use it to tell me how many calories I am burning at the gym. It's like my little cheerleader.

If someone asks me about it and I don't feel like explaining it, I just tell them it's a pedometer.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Also, remember that it's getting to be Fall, so it's getting easier and easier to hide. I don't know where you live, but here in Ohio we're already starting to get 40 degree nights, so it's easier to wear things with sleeves or with extra thickness to them. I don't want mine to show- at all- so I bought some cute tops for back-to-school that covers it well.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/tracker/130

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for the advice. Seriously, I can't figure out what the heck I'm supposed to be doing to lose weight! There's so many conflicting plans, advice, etc. Even the BMI/Daily Calories Needed math seems to come out different depending which site I'm on. More restrictive plans I can never stick to so I was hoping I could stick to calorie counting but I've been stalled for months (with a few admitted slip ups on my part, but mostly sticking to it.) I just don't understand what my body needs and am hoping that somewhere there is the technology to tell me.
ald41085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #9  
I think I can...

I wear mine everywhere even with sleevless tops. Some strangers have asked about it and I cryptically reply "oh, this is a bodybugg." LOL Who knew ppl could be so nosey. I have the metallic pink so it's kind of cute.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #10  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I stopped using mine a while ago, but this was a good reminder that I'm wearing longer sleeves now, and I should renew my subscription and start wearing it again. I don't think I will wear it when it shows, it's just not appropriate in my workplace but I can get away with it for the cooler months. And this should be a good tool to keep me on track as I close in on Onederland and beyond!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

I still kind of recoil when someone touches my left arm because it used to lead to questions about it. And I hated answering them. So I stopped wearing it entirely.

Now that it's colder, I think I'm going to start using it again, especially since it works pretty well on the back of my leg and pants hide that very well. For exercise, I don't mind it showing because people have so many gadgets these days that it's not too out of the ordinary. But when I'm doing normal things, it leads to questions. So back of the leg it is...
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/205/155

I wear mine pretty much all the time but if we are going out for a date night and I want to look cute I just leave it at home. I've been using it long enough that I can pretty much tell you how many calories I've burned in a day before I even sync it up. It's a great tool and well worth the questions others ask. My biggest problem is in the summer when I get the tan line from it! Then even when you take it off it looks weird.
weightingfornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #13  
Empress/Queen

I don't have one but want one just to give me a boost to lose some regain pounds and to keep on maintaining, which after years and years gets old. I LOVE the suggestion of just saying it's a pedometer. I am open about my weight struggles though so it wouldn't bother me to explain it but really, whose biz is it anyhow?

Considered the Fitbit also, might go with that.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote