Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 154 lbs/151.5 lbs/144 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Talking I swam without a float for the first time ever lastnight!

I've just moved out of home for university this week and have begun swimming lessons in the college gym.

I had my first one lastnight and I was super nervous. It took me a while to just relax in the water. I've been afraid of it since I was a kid, but lastnight I really feel I developed!

There were four of us who were level 1; absolute beginners.

I had trouble keeping my face under the water and also with loosening up so I could float. I honestly just kinda thought it was impossible to float without an actual float and without flapping arms and legs like a crazy person

I managed that, then we had to swim across from one side of the small pool to the other side, with our floats. That was fine.

Then... eventually... it was time to go without the float (if we felt comfortable enough)

I froze.

The three others went off and I was getting palpatations and horrible flashbacks of having to do this aged 7.

So, I took a deep breath and rationalized: this instructor was not going to let me drown. I was also able to stand up in this water. The others did what she said, and they swam. This assured me, if I took a chance, I was not going to sink. And so I just went for it. Completely untensed and kicked off from the wall behind me.

It felt GREAT. It was such a huge thing for me. I've always wanted to be able to swim. It looks like one of the most fun exercises, one which I could probably maintain throughout the academic year ahead of me.

This was the first of 8 lessons and I'm just so happy I was able to let go of the float lastnight. I wanted to feel progress fast, cause I'm just one of those people who needs results fast to feel I'm taking direction. (It's probably why weight loss is frustrating me so much )

I live just around the corner from the gym and the swimming pool and I have free access because I'm a student, so no more excuses! I'm really looking forward to this. I feel like I'm going to love swimming, so if I can squeeze a bit of treadmill and weights in before my swimming, a few times a week, I'm sure I could see results in a couple of weeks! Knowing that I can swim afterwards could keep me motivated on the more monotonous things, such as treadmill or stairs.

I'm feeling very positive today.
graw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #2  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations! I love swimming, and have just gotten back into it after years of neglect. Keep up the great work, and you'll be doing laps in no time.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #3  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Yay!! Good for you!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

that is quite the NSV ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote