General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Default Coconut water for leg cramps?

After years of relief after I started eating a banana every morning, I began getting nighttime leg cramps again. This time they seemed even worse; the muscles acted as if they wanted to tie my leg in a knot, and even the slightest voluntary movement of the leg, whether with or against the direction of the cramp, seemed to just make it worse and more painful. I just had to wait for the darn thing to settle down on its own accord, and if it was in my calf muscles the leg would be sore for 3 days. Then I began seeing coconut water (NOT coconut milk) in stores, looked it up and saw that it was rich in potassium (the same element that made the bananas so helpful). I stocked up and started drinking a 6-ounce glass at bedtime. It may be too early to tell for sure, but while the cramps haven't completely gone away they haven't been as violent or long-lasting. Anybody else with leg cramps try it? What's your result?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #2  

Have you tried more salt in you diet, or maybe magnesium?
I think you should tell your doctor and check out your levels..
I usually take magnesium and it helps.
When my potassium was too low after surgery on my pituitary gland I got some gross tasting pills and a list of food high in potassium.. Including bananas.. But my levels are now normal so I just take magnesium when/if I work out a lot.
Hope you feel better
khat is offline   Reply With Quote