Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #1  
I think I can...

Default Halloween

Is it just me or is Halloween awfully early this year? I went in the drug store and all I saw was the most delicious array of candy. Sigh...I broke down and bought my fav caramel apple pops (60 cals, but I know I won't just eat 1).
I'm such a candy addict!
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Werthers makes sugar free carmel drops that are mixed with green apple candy, and they taste just like those pops. They're 10 calories each, and I found them at walmart.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #3  

My husband jokingly said to me yesterday, "Are you going to buy a bag of mini candy bars 'for the trick-or-treaters'?" You see, we never get ANY trick-or-treaters, but I buy candy every year "just in case.". Of course, it's always MY favorites----Snickers, Almond Joy, etc. , and the bag is almost completely empty by Halloween night. This year, that ISN'T happening!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 8"

Every time I see the candy corn, I think of all of the cals in a bag, because I know it would be me that eats them all.

Last edited by envelope; 09-11-2011 at 09:14 PM.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5

would you rather be fun sized or eat fun sized?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #6  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

Japan doesn't really understand or celebrate Halloween the way America does, which is a blessing and a curse. Curse because it's sad that I don't get to see any cute kids dressed up in costumes. Blessing because the Halloween sales racks consist mostly of decorations with a few Halloween-themed rice crackers thrown in. There's very little in the way of fun- or snack-sized candy.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #7  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzKiki View Post
Is it just me or is Halloween awfully early this year? I went in the drug store and all I saw was the most delicious array of candy. Sigh...I broke down and bought my fav caramel apple pops (60 cals, but I know I won't just eat 1).
I'm such a candy addict!
Ha, I've been looking for those! (Un)fortunately, I couldn't find them. This year I'm not taking my son trick or treating on two different nights like we used to. We never ate all that candy anyway.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Halloween is always a major challenge for me because of my sweet tooth. In just reading your posts, I could hardly contain my desire to go out and buy a few bags of candy and just sit and eat them up until I feel sick. I'm going to do my best not to have any but it's hard because my kids bring a huge bag (each) home and I only let them have 3 candies and then taper off until they forget. Well, I don't forget! So, this year, I'll have to come up with a plan....although I haven't come up with one yet and time is running out!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I never buy any candy until the day OF halloween and then it all goes to work with my husband the next day. Actually what i have done the last few years is stuck the bowl in front of the door before we go to bed and there are no leftovers. The first highschool student who comes by after hours usually takes the whole thing. (my apologies if your kid is the highschooler)

luckymommy - buy the candy back from your kids the day after halloween - or even better the day OF halloween. We go through their baskets the second they get back and they can each keep X number of pieces and the rest go into the outgoing basket immediately. But sometimes during the year when the birthday party goodie bag and pinata candy is getting out of control I buy it from them for a penny a piece and either throw it out or send it to work with dh.

Last edited by ennay; 09-11-2011 at 11:28 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #10  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

ennay, that's a fantastic idea! I will try to buy it off them, but they're so into candy (since I hardly ever let them have it) that it's a tough sell. It's worth a shot though. Another possibility is to have them donate it to those in need....not sure if I want those in need to eat something unhealthy either though.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #11  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

one of my son's favorite restaurants does a buy back - they collect the candy to send to the troops and the kids get a free meal. I usually let him eat it for a week (he's pretty good about limiting himself to the 2-3 pieces I say he can have) and then take whatever is leftover there. Usually the stuff he really likes is gone by then anyway.

And to msKiki - throw them out. Get rid of them. You've had your treat, don't eat the rest of them just because they are there.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #12  
Get to goal & stay there!

S/C/G: 235/154.8/150

Height: 5'5"

Sheesh! With how much earlier each year they start putting up the holiday decorations, why don't the just get it over with and leave them up all year round?
sandcar150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #13  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i buy halloween candy for trick r treaters ahead of time because the day of, stores are sold out by then...but i tell my older son to hide the bag from me until the day of halloween...he's a good hider, one holiday he was gone and i couldnt find the darn thing for trick r treaters LOL!...luckily i'm a candy snob so i only want the good stuff lol...by the second day, the kids have either eaten the good stuff or we've "helped them out" and the rest that's left is stuff i wont eat but they will...often times i'll set it on a high shelf and then we'll all forget the rest is there
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote