General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3 & 1/2

Cool BUTTERFINGERS every where!!!

So in my house right now is a HUGE bag of mini butterfingers & ..it has three different kinds in it..the regular kind..the ones with peanut butter in them and some other kind ive never had before that have the texture of kit-kats. .Please lord don't let me eat any! Oh & by the way butterfingers just happen to be my favorite candy :/ I could seriously see myself eating 15 of these lil mini devils lol...Not even kidding either. Ever wish you lived in a house where EVERYONE was on a diet ? I just wanna go tell everyone " you cant bring that in here " but I realize not everyone is on a diet..sigh =[
PrincessAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I live in a house full of junk food. It's hard, but I don't stop myself from eating it all the time.

One piece here or there can satisfy a craving. I've taught myself to savor the taste of my food rather than the sensation of simply eating it. Because of that I can eat a fun size bar, a godiva truffle, etc. and not feel the need to eat any more. I've got the taste, it was great and now it's time to move on.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3 & 1/2

Thats a great way to think about it..but with me never eating this candy anymore..I don't think I could just have one or two..So I have to stay away completely lol..before i started dieting though i could of had one and walked away...kinda sucks. :/ Even worse this bag is so big that its probably gonna take at least a week before there all gone. I hate temptation
PrincessAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

There was a commercial a while back (for what? I don't remember) that poked fun at bad choices for breakfast. They showed this woman eating a gooey, sticky cinnamon roll walking by. Once she passed, her rump was literally two giant sticky buns!!
I like to use this tactic when faced with sweets especially. I can just picture my butt as two gigantic butterfingerss or whatever it is at the moment. It aides in preventing me from caving in to the craving. It doesn't always work but sometimes a mental image and a good laugh helps.

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 09-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

^ Yes I remember that commercial and always remember the imagery with regards to my weight loss efforts, incidentally one of my pitfalls recently has been the local supermarket's bakery cinnamon bun! IIRC it was an ad for a cereal/breakfast bar.

To the OP, you can win the Butterfinger Battle! Only a matter of waiting.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Who do you live with? Hubby, kids, roommates? I live with my bf, and I just ask him to hide his junk food. I know it's there, but I don't have to stare at it all the time- and that makes a huge difference. If there are no kids involved, maybe the person you live with could hide it? Or maybe you could put them in a "cookie jar" type thing, where they all know they're there, but they're not in plain sight. It helps, trust me.

Also, when I was getting close to goal last time, my dietitian suggested I start working in the "bad foods" I had been avoiding on my diet. For me, that meant eating something that seemed "bad" a few times a week, in normal portions, and counting them into my calorie count. E.g. a single serving of icecream, as suggested by the box, or a small piece of candy here and there, etc. She said the idea was to get rid of some of the power that food has over you by letting yourself eat a little and growing to trust that you can stop after a normal-sized portion. Your mind, like mine, is trained to think that it has to eat 17 of those babies in order to be satisfied, and if you give in a little, you'll go nuts and eat them all. But by eating one or two, working them into your diet without "ruining the day," then you can start to trust yourself more and realize you can be around those things without going bonkers. Plus, your obsessing over them just gives them more power, making it more likely that if you stumble, you'll want to eat 17. If you take that power away, you'll start to realize you don't need so many.

Last edited by kelly315; 09-06-2011 at 05:56 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 310

Height: 5' 4"

I have that problem too. I have three kids, two of which need to gain weight! GO FIGURE! So we keep things on hand for them to eat that will help them put on some weight. The third one...my boy...needs to lose a few pounds, but the doctors feel he's too young for dieting. So we struggle to keep him AND ME away from the more fattening foods. It's a daily struggle with us!
Faith Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #8  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I hear you, bf loves those chocolate cakes, ding dongs, devil dogs, etc. He eats them every day. Some I could care less about, others are much more tempting (funny bones). It's weird how one can be tempting to me, while I don't even care about another. He loves potato chips too, and really it's tough to have those around for me, they're too many calories and you don't have to eat too many to "overeat" them.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote