Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #1  

Default I think I do too much weights! Please let me know.

I would like to know if this is too much. I get a pain in my head when done as I try to do it all in 45 minutes now. And get barely any rest between sets.
I do not want to over due it as want to do it correctly. Below are images of me doing each one with the amount and sets.

3 sets of 12 with 80 pounds

3 sets of 12 with 60 pounds

3 sets of 12 with 40 pounds

3 sets of 12 with 10 pounds each arm

I took images as I do not know what some of them are called. Anyway would like some advice as me and others think it is too much especially when I have been only doing it for 2 and a half weeks.

Please would love some advice because if I continue at this pace I will not last and I do not know how much to cut down.

Thanks
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #2  
will it ever stick??? lol

S/C/G: 283.6/236.8/155

Height: 5'6

How many times per week are you doing this? Do you do any leg weight exercises? Why are you trying to get it done in a 45min timeframe? From when you started when did your head start hurting?
Amberkkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #3  

I do this 3 times a week. I was told not to work out more then 45 minutes at a time.

My head started hurting when I lie on the bench do the flys and bench presses when i get up from them. It has been over 1 hour still have it it is mostly in my temples.
Before I started working out I went to my doctors to make sure I can exercise and blood pressure, cholesterol, and had an ekg all was normal so I know it aint that.
I also exercise in my basement as you can see and only 1 window opens and I get really hot down there.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #4  

Also if you or someone else can tell me maybe what ones to do each day to cut it down would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #5  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I do think you're doing more exercises than you need to. Except that you *DO* need to start doing lower body as well!!!! (Squats, deadlifts, lunges!)

But you'd be just fine if you limited yourself to 4 upper body exercises: a vertical pull, a vertical push, a horizontal pull and a horizonal push. So this would look like:

Horizontal pull: rows (seated or standing--no need to do both as you currently are);
Horizontal push: push ups are simplest and best (you can do them at an angle to start if you're not able to do them the regular way.)
Vertical pull: lat pull down
Vertical push: military or bench presses.

(There are millions of variations of these 4 basic movements. These are just the basic ones.)

That's really enough for one day of upper body. Those 4 exercises hit all the muscles in the shoulders, back, arms and chest.

But then the next day you should be doing lower body (squats, deads, lunges) and some core work.

And the real trick with weight training is to be always aiming to lift more than you did the last time. You won't actually be able to increase your weight every day, but that should be the goal that you're striving towards.

Last edited by DietVet; 09-06-2011 at 01:04 PM.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I wouldn't be doing anything that goes behind my head. If you do, your neck should be straight, not bent forward. (from my trainer's advice)

Are you staying hydrated?
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #7  

I drink 1 liter of water during the workout.
It is when I lay down and do them then I get up is when the head hurts.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I think that I would consult a physician, preferably one who knows about sports.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #9  

I think it is because I am lifting too much and not resting in between sets.
It does not happen every time.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/175/No idea

Height: 6'3

I don't think you're doing too much, you just need to take a minute or two rest between sets, especially if you are working the same muscles.

You can be in pain and you can be hurt. Pain is the fatigue you can work through. When you are hurting you are doing too much. Keep it up, but always listen to your body.

- L89
Lurker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #11  

Ya that is one thing I was thinking too.
I work in my basement so hot I use a fan but it does not help much.
I usually break maybe 20 seconds between sets usually not even that long.
I did cardio today and nothing but I never do when I do cardio.

The reason I rush the weights is I was told that not to do weights more then 45 minutes so I try to fit it all in that amount of time.

Should I cut down the amount of exercises I do or just do what you said break 1 minute between sets. How long do you break between exercises like do curls 2 12s then say bench press how long between changing. I know you would not do them back to back lol but just an example.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

My 2 cents :

As Tejas said, nothing behind the head (second pic), very hard on the neck...

As DietVet said 4 upper body exercises is just fine... I would do those 4 for 4-6 weeks then switch them up for for other UBW variety... Don't forget the lower body...

Other things that I think may help... Take the huge sweatshirt off and just wear a t-shirt, the sweatshirt is keeping the heat from escaping your body and could be causing over heating... Make sure you breath, exhale when you exert, inhale when you relax...

Hope these hints help, keep us posted on your progress....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #13  

Sorry forgot to say the sweater was just for images. I wear shorts and shirt. I drink one liter of water when I work out. It is hot as &%&& well it is hot in that basement lol.

I will cut down my exercises and time one minute between sets and try to breath better.
My only thing is 4 exercises really enough to do. Will you get results with them.

The head starts hurting when I lie down do the flies then the bench press with the dumb bells and I get up from lying down. I do not get up until I get all 3 sets of 12 for both exercises. Could this be why.
Then I go right into sitting and lifting dumb bells over t=my head for the shoulders.

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #14  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Yes, the 4 exercises is plenty for upper body day (you still need to work core and lower body!). Those 4 exercises replicate the basic movements of the body and use ALL the muscles of the upper body. There's just no point in doing seated rows and 2 point rows on the same day: they're the same exercise and you want to do them so thoroughly and exhaust yourself such that you *couldn't* go back and do another 3 sets. And you don't need to do tricep extensions or bicep curls if you're doing presses and pulls--those muscles get their fair share of work in those movements.

But also, you're taking this 45 minute thing too seriously. There's no law about 45 minutes: some workouts take less than 45, some take more. It's not a big deal. Certainly it's more important to rest between sets (so that you can lift more weight!!!) than it is to cram your workout into some arbitrary 45 minute limit.

Last edited by DietVet; 09-07-2011 at 10:59 AM.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #15  

yes the shirt was for the image.
May I ask you does 4 exercises give you results. Would they not take around 20 minutes only. Just asking to make sure I do everything correctly.

Thanks.