General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Supersize vs. Superskinny (tv show)

Has anyone else seen this show? I think it's in the UK only. Every week, they look at one obese person and one clinically underweight person and how they eat, and try to implement changes to help them fix their problems. I'm not 100% sure of how I feel about this show, because there's some weird scenes in which they switch diets, which inevitably leads the skinny person to be sick over too much food. They also have segments in about people with eating disorders and associated therapy.

Anyone else seen this show? Thoughts?

You can watch full episodes (in parts) on you tube. Here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hgcmlotpvI
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

We also get episodes of this show in Canada. I find it to be a little disturbing. The results are interesting though.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #3  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

you might find this interesting. It's a series of photos of what people around the world eat in a typical day (and what seemed to me rough calorie counts).

(sorry it's not directly related to your Q, but I thought you might find it interesting)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...-or-pitifully/
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #4  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwoman64 View Post
you might find this interesting. It's a series of photos of what people around the world eat in a typical day (and what seemed to me rough calorie counts).

(sorry it's not directly related to your Q, but I thought you might find it interesting)

Fascinating! Very interesting to see. And I'm amazed at how many calories they are taking in per day. I understand the hard working guy on top of the roof.

I'm trying to keep about 12-1400 calories per day, and the scale hardly moves. Boo.
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #5  
Never surrender

did you see Chen Zhen eats 2600? I guess metabolism, age and activity level can really make a huge difference when it comes to how many calories a person can eat. I would gain weight really fast if I ate that many calories a day.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 09-03-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #6  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

No Kidding! I only eat half of all what she have. And I haven't had fried chicken for ages... You're probably right though.. She is still very young and probably burn all those calories no prob.
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #7  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I'm watching Supersized vs. Superskinny. It's on a cable station here every Monday night with two episodes.

I always feel very sorry for the obese participant; it seems like they basically starve for the duration. I also wonder how the skinny person is able to suddenly eat so much food and keep it all down.

I think the show would have been better if they left out Gillian McKeith's segments and gave more detail on the diets they send the participants home with.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Quote:
did you see Chen Zhen eats 2600? I guess metabolism, age and activity level can really make a huge difference when it comes to how many calories a person can eat. I would gain weight really fast if I ate that many calories a day.
I sooo agree! How can this be? There is probably more to biology and how the body processes calories than meets the eye. Maybe it's not as simple as calories in, calories out. Or these people must exercise a great deal. I don't really know. I was floored with people eating well over 2000 cals and maintaining slim frames. This is not how my body works unfortunately! This was an amazing article, thanks for posting. Wow.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

I enjoy this show. I think it really opens the participants eyes to how much and how little they are eating. It teaches them that the way they think about food is unhealthy. I think the part I like the most is when they pour all the food into a clear tube and they can actually see how much they are putting in their bodies.

I could do without the lady trying to shink britisher's bums though. That's kind of annoying.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:

Wow thanks for posting that link! I loved reading that.

PS - I think there are more images/info here

Last edited by Lovely; 09-04-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #11  
Never surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
PS - I think there are more images/info here
very cool. the slide shows from different countries under "taste" is great.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #12  
banned

I watch it sometimes on OWN. I'll pretty much watch anything about dieting/food, though. Oh, and that website is very interesting, so thanks for sharing!
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #13  
Aiming to be a fitmom!

S/C/G: 371.4/ticker/150

Does this show come on in the US? If so, what network?
fatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

FM~ I believe it is on OWN in the US
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #15  
Releasing the inner hiker

I have only watched the one 13 minute clip posted, but I just don't understand the point of this show. It seems really exploitative to me, even more so than other shows of this nature.

In this episode, both woman want to deal with their weight, so they can be healthier for themselves and their families, so they check into a "food clinic" and then are forced to eat the meals of the other. I'm not sure how this ultimately helps them, especially since the meals they are being forced to eat are not well-balanced or healthy. There was no mention of therapy or meeting with a nutritionist. I just don't understand the point of this show, nor see the value for the participants.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote