South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 03:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

Default phase 1 recipes

I have some phase 1 recipes that I'd be happy to PM
to anyone... I belong to the SBD site and I've copied and pasted some recipes from there but I'd prolly get booted from that site if I posted them here. I think I paid something like $30us to belong to that site so you can understand why I don't want to be booted....

Last edited by noranoranora; 06-25-2003 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:48 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Nora, could you PM me the recipes? Thank you so much!
Old 06-25-2003, 08:18 AM   #3  
cranky & determined

Hi Nora,

Doo you have the recipe for Chicken with pistacios - I think it's a salad? If so, yes please PM it to me!

TIA

Anna
Old 06-25-2003, 12:25 PM   #4  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Nora-Would you please PM the recipes to me also? THANKS!!
Old 06-25-2003, 12:59 PM   #5  
it's always something

There are a lot of Phase 1 recipes on the prevention forum. I bookmarked it because it was too frustrating trying to find it again. Their forum is full of info, but it moves so fast it makes me motion sick!!

http://forums.prevention.com/viewMes...10756&forum=40 for phase 1 recipes and http://forums.prevention.com/thread....0&thread=11822 for phase 2 recipes.

Nora, just out of curiosity, are the recipes from these threads from the SBD site?
Old 06-25-2003, 06:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

Sorry, gals. Turns out I can't include attachments with PM's or if you can, I don't know how. Please email me at [email protected] for a copy of the word attachment. Also, could you include "fat chicks recipes" in the subject so I know it's not spam?

thanks.

Suzanne, I went and checked out Heidi's recipes and they don't look familiar at all. Thanks, I bookmarked the site.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:33 PM   #7  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Chicken~Pistachio Salad

This one is soooo good, even for left-overs!!!

1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts, finely ground
1/2 + 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp + 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced sweet white onion
1 head romaine lettuce

DRESSING:
1 tsp grated sweet white onion (I just diced it)
1 large ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
3 TBS fresh lime juice
1 TBS water

Directions:
To make the salad: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mix the nuts in a pie plate (or dish) with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Predd the chicken into the nut mixture. Heat 1 TBS of the oil in a skillet and cook the coated chicken breasts, 2 minutes each side. Place the pre-cooked breasts in a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes until done.

Heat the remaining TBS of oil in a non-stick skillet over high heat. Add the onion, 1/4 tsp salt, and pinch of pepper. Cook until the onion is browned.

Line 4 serving plates with the lettuce. Slice the chicken breasts and arrange 1 breast on top of the lettuce on each plate. Serve with the dressing.

To make the dressing: Puree the cooked onion,avocado, oil, lime juice and water in a blender or small processor.

Nutritional Info:
481 cals
39 total fat (5 g sat, 34 mono)
70 mg cholestero;
13 g carbs
33 g protein
5 g fiber
520 mg sodium
Old 06-26-2003, 12:09 AM   #8  

Hi all,

For those of you that are not fond of the Ricotta desserts, because it seems too gritty, I mix equal parts of cottage cheese and ricotta and put it through the food processor. Let it whirl for 3 to 4 minutes...comes out nice and smooth.

My favorite is Maple Walnut...I just wing it but add maple extract, teaspoon splenda and a few chopped walnuts, I freeze it and take out one hour before I want to eat.

For all the newbies...I buy 4 pounds of Ricotta at a time and make up several different flavors and freeze in 1/2 cup servings. This way they are on hand for those weak moments.

I'm on phase 2 so I even mix fresh strawberries in there. Have fun with this...you may like it!!!

Meg~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-26-2003, 12:37 AM   #9  
it's always something

Yum! I'm going to have to buy some new flavorings. I really enjoyed the lemon ricotta, then made a big batch at once. Unfortunately, I got some of the bitter white from the lemon in it, and it ruined the whole thing! I'll have to be more careful next time.

I'm glad to know it freezes well, thanks for the tip!
Old 06-26-2003, 06:21 AM   #10  

I'm going to freeze mine! Thanks, Meg!

I find that the different brands of ricotta have different consistancies. I didn't know what people meant when they said "gritty", because the ones I'd bought were all incredibly smooth. But I bought a different brand last week, and it WAS gritty! So shop around.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:35 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh my! Desserts! How incredibly decadent! I want to be in Phase 2 like Meg for the berries. Guess I need to do Phase 1 first - dammit!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:54 PM   #12  

Hi All,

Yes Ruthie...you must do Phase 1 and is it ever worth it!!

Every day I am amazed at how my life is not centered around food anymore!!!! Oh ya, I still like to eat, but I truly do not look for in between snacks and I find myself looking for a refreshing drink instead of something to eat.

Also, eating the correct foods satisfies you so fast. On phase 1, I was eating until I was full (as recommended) I am in my 7th week and my portions are now so much smaller! It's funny, when I make my dish at dinner, I fill my plate according to my old lifestyle and I end up with another meal left. So now I find myself thinking about what I used to say to my kids..."take a little at a time and if you want more go for it". I finally got that portion control thing down pat!!!!!

If I had any advise for all of you just starting it would be...hang in there...phase 1 works!!!!

Have a great day~~~~~~~~~~~Meg
Old 06-26-2003, 08:04 PM   #13  

Meg-Great ideas for the ricotta dessert, thanks!! The maple-nut variation sounds great!

Ruth-Think how much MORE you'll appreciate the berries if you do phase I first!!!

Ellis-Glad to hear that, because the stuff I've been using was gritty! I didn't mind it too much, but smooth would be better.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:18 PM   #14  

I believe it says, "Extra Smooth" on the container.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:27 AM   #15  

Well the stuff i bought said, "EXTRA CHEAP" on the container!!! (I guess you really DO get what you pay for!!!)
Closed Thread