Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #1  

Default Deleted

Deleted

Last edited by diegroblers; 09-24-2014 at 02:11 AM.
diegroblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #2  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I don't believe it. (not saying you're lying, I'm just saying I don't believe it's a truth)

If you've lost 4 lb in 4 days, it's because you're losing water weight OR your calorie deficit is fairly extreme.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, either, if that's what you want to do - just offering my opinion.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Don't you think that if simply adding lemon juice to water resulted in dramatic, provable weight loss - it might make the news?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/135

Height: 5' 3.5"

lemon juice is a diuretic and laxative
H82Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If I am interpreting correctly you suggest "cheat" day similarity as something that restarted your metabolism?

My guess is the diuretic effect is more the correct hypothesis. Salt is not the only thing that causes the body to have water in it. And it doesnt necessarily mean you had excess water, but that maybe you are now a bit shifted from where you normally are.

Last edited by ennay; 09-01-2011 at 01:51 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

Your blood cannot be significantly acidic or alkaline relative to normal. The process of homeostasis keeps all of your blood and fluids within most cells within a very specific pH range - otherwise it's a complete disaster. If you had truly acidic blood, you'd be dead.

Also, lemon is not alkaline. Lemon juice has a pH of between 2-3, varying with individual fruits due to citric acid content. Regardless of the pH of lemon juice, all food that's digested is first processed with hydrochloric acid (naturally produced in the stomach, which is a pH of 1 - 2), and then buffered to an appropriate pH for digestion in the rest of the digestive tract.

Anyone who claims blood acidity has anything to do with anything except, say, renal failure and imminent death is quite frankly being ridiculous.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...SH/coral2.html
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #7  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

It is the diuretic effect of the lemon juice that has caused your weight loss. I use lemon juice (though I drink mine straight, not in water) when I know I am holding extra water or on days when my sodium gets a bit high in order to prevent the extra water in the first place. It could be that something other than sodium was causing you to retain water and the lemon juice helped you get rid of it (muscles holding water from working out, some small illness or infection that you didn't even notice, etc.). It could also be that there is some sort of sneaky sodium in your diet (did you change brands of chicken or frozen veggies or anything?). It could also be that you were just having a normal plateau that the body needed and the lemon juice has caused you to have less water than you should because there was no extra there to get rid of.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #8  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Okay-- lemon juice is acidic, NOT alkaline, so...this chick (the one giving the advice, not the OP) has no idea what she's talking about.

That said, the diuretic effect is interesting. I wouldn't be above trying that myself before a big event or something.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Food combining has been thoroughly debunked and according to this post by a dietician, it was debunked back in 1934!

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtyti...ing-myths.aspx
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #10  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

weight loss is not linear and everyone experiences whooshes from time to time. Chances are it was just a coincidence.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegroblers View Post
Damn! And here I thought I was onto a good thing!
There are no short cuts/instant fixes.

I used to think that really sucked.

I changed my mind when I started looking at the stats which show quite clearly that "crash dieting" results in yo-yo-ing while steady, sustained loss that comes from lifestyle change (eating healthier, exercising more) lasts.

I would rather lose slowly and with effort and learn from it so that my weight stabalizes than lose quickly and have to do it over and over and over...

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #12  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Hey, if you have been consistently working out and eating within your calories, you EARNED that loss. It just didn't show up on the scale when you might have expected it but don't sell yourself short. It was not some magic lemon juice that caused those pounds to go, it was all that hard work and effort that you were putting in - and most importantly, KEPT putting in even when the scale didn't move.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 143/134/105

Height: 5'3"

It was most likely only water weight.

Lemon juice is proven to reduce bloating and water weight so that is probably the case.
rachluvsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegroblers View Post
I wasn't exactly looking for a short cut/instant fix.

I work hard for my progress. I eat about 1300 cals a day (and I have to force myself or else I drop below that). And I gym six days a week, 1 - 1 1/2 hours a week. I was just hoping it would help jump start my weight-loss after a plateau.

Edit: I gym six days a week, 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day, not week .
You earned that 4lbs. It wasn't the lemon juice
Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #15  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

FWIW, when I first "started" my mother always taught me that hot water with lemon gets rid of bloating. I've been doing it for years, it always gets rid of my bloated feeling.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote