Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/190/135

Height: 5'6.5'

Default Question about measuements.

I am wondering, how often people measure and at what increments do you record. AND is there a margin of error. Looks like some of my measurements have gone down by about 1/4 inch. But I think that could be in a margin of error. One funny measurement (And I think it is right because I thought my thigh was smaller) is it looks like I lost 1 inch on my right thigh -- just the right one. And no matter where I measure I can't get it to the number I had last week. LOL Strange.

Last Monday was the first time I ever took measurements before trying to lose weight. I'm hoping measuring will keep me from regaining. One problem it I never really cared about the number on the scale (even now, I doesn't have real meaning to me) what I care about is my size. For me the number on the scale does not clearly related in my mind to my size.
Sued1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/196/160

Height: 5'3"

I think your thigh measurement is probably accurate. We lose weight where we will and sometimes our bodies don't care if it's even. True story (which will make you grateful that it's your thigh and it's an inch!) My best friend lost her baby weight after her second child and ended up with a DD boob and a B boob. Yikes!
Lucky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky72 View Post
I think your thigh measurement is probably accurate. We lose weight where we will and sometimes our bodies don't care if it's even. True story (which will make you grateful that it's your thigh and it's an inch!) My best friend lost her baby weight after her second child and ended up with a DD boob and a B boob. Yikes!
That does make me grateful! ;-)
Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I think there's a margin of error, but I don't know precisely what number might be. I feel sure I'm not hitting exactly the same spot, with exactly the same tension, every time I measure. Maybe other people are better than me. I don't have a set schedule as to when I measure, but I'm finding it to be a slow process, so I don't think frequent measuring would be especially useful. But I agree that the progress isn't necessarily even or linear. I'll see big jumps in measurements.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sued1971 View Post
I am wondering, how often people measure and at what increments do you record. AND is there a margin of error. Last
There is definately a margin of error because you never use the same spot or tension. Years ago I went to Elaine Powers Fitness Center. They measured you when you joined and then a week later. I noticed that they measured so much tighter the second time! LOL I know that was to make you think that you had really lost a lot of inches! I think you should wait until you have lost at least 20 lbs to measure again, in order to really see a difference.

On your thighs you can find the widest point and then measure down from where it joins your hip and always use the same distance. The same thing with hips...find the widest point then measure down from your waist. The bust would be the fullest point wearing a bra and waist would be the smallest point, unless you have a big waist, then you would choose the point where your waist bends when you bend to the side.

I rarely measure. I go by the scale. One day I was entering my info into FitDay and I found that I had taken measurements a year ago, during my last attempt to lose. So now I am using those measurements as my starting point as I have lost 30 lbs since then.

Carol
Wannabehealthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #6  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

I measure every tuesday if I can. Again, it's similar to the scale in the sense that I know there can be discrepancies in measurements (I might not always measure in exactly the same place for instance). Some weeks I have tiny losses, some weeks my measurements increase and othertimes they decrease by a lot (I've lost a whole inch in a week before). Inches, like ibs, can be affected by a lot of things.

I figure that even if I'm getting an increase one week it doesn't matter, as long as the general trend is downwards then I must be doing something right. I started with a 30 inch waist and now I'm just under 26 inches so that's what matters.

Also, I usually measure in cms because it's easier to see losses and then convert to inches for the sake of dress sizes.
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't have a set schedule for measuring. Sometimes if I feel skinny I'll do it, sometimes if it's on my mind that morning I will. Just depends.

I used to measure daily during a period of time when I wasn't losing any weight but I was dropping inches. Now I seem to be doing the reverse.

So here's what I found throughout all that:

- Time of day matters, especially when it comes to your waist. It's always best to measure first thing in the morning. Post-workout and after a big meal are by far the worst times.

- Bloating CAN and DOES happen. TOM is notorious for this as well as certain foods (beans, beans the magical fruit...)

- Human error is certainly part of it. I only realized recently that it's better to measure my upper arm laying flat against my body vs. in a 90 position from me (because DUH then it's flexed). Also it's hard to get the same point around any part of your body AND it's hard to always get the tape measurer parallel to the floor AND have the same tightness every time.

- Sometimes your measurements go up. It's true and it's not always fat. Sometimes I'll lose inches on one part and "gain" elsewhere. For whatever reason my body just did that for that day, who knows?

So what do you get from this. Measurements DO change over time but I personally don't count measurements that are less than the inch range because I vary so much. Also, I try to measure everywhere because at the moment I seem to be losing everywhere but the big 3 (bust, waist, hips).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmn11 View Post
Years ago I went to Elaine Powers Fitness Center. They measured you when you joined and then a week later. I noticed that they measured so much tighter the second time! LOLl
This makes me chuckle, maybe you could tell if you ahd a bad week by how tight they held the measuring tape. LOL!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
I think there's a margin of error, but I don't know precisely what number might be. I feel sure I'm not hitting exactly the same spot, with exactly the same tension, every time I measure. Maybe other people are better than me. I don't have a set schedule as to when I measure, but I'm finding it to be a slow process, so I don't think frequent measuring would be especially useful. But I agree that the progress isn't necessarily even or linear. I'll see big jumps in measurements.
Glad to be learning that measuring is not linear ahead of time so I don't get disappointed. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmagick View Post
I measure every tuesday if I can. Again, it's similar to the scale in the sense that I know there can be discrepancies in measurements (I might not always measure in exactly the same place for instance). Some weeks I have tiny losses, some weeks my measurements increase and othertimes they decrease by a lot (I've lost a whole inch in a week before). Inches, like ibs, can be affected by a lot of things.

I figure that even if I'm getting an increase one week it doesn't matter, as long as the general trend is downwards then I must be doing something right. I started with a 30 inch waist and now I'm just under 26 inches so that's what matters.

Also, I usually measure in cms because it's easier to see losses and then convert to inches for the sake of dress sizes.
Thanks! I'll proably measure weekly (because I am curious, I weigh daily but don't record anything but Monday morning. ;-)) record monthly.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
I don't have a set schedule for measuring. Sometimes if I feel skinny I'll do it, sometimes if it's on my mind that morning I will. Just depends.

I used to measure daily during a period of time when I wasn't losing any weight but I was dropping inches. Now I seem to be doing the reverse.

So here's what I found throughout all that:

- Time of day matters, especially when it comes to your waist. It's always best to measure first thing in the morning. Post-workout and after a big meal are by far the worst times.

- Bloating CAN and DOES happen. TOM is notorious for this as well as certain foods (beans, beans the magical fruit...)

- Human error is certainly part of it. I only realized recently that it's better to measure my upper arm laying flat against my body vs. in a 90 position from me (because DUH then it's flexed). Also it's hard to get the same point around any part of your body AND it's hard to always get the tape measurer parallel to the floor AND have the same tightness every time.

- Sometimes your measurements go up. It's true and it's not always fat. Sometimes I'll lose inches on one part and "gain" elsewhere. For whatever reason my body just did that for that day, who knows?

So what do you get from this. Measurements DO change over time but I personally don't count measurements that are less than the inch range because I vary so much. Also, I try to measure everywhere because at the moment I seem to be losing everywhere but the big 3 (bust, waist, hips).
Wow lots of great information. I will definitely save this for future reference.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sued1971 View Post
Wow lots of great information. I will definitely save this for future reference.
Thanks! One thing I forgot to add. Make sure that when you measure your bust you're wearing your best fitting bra and that you measure around the largest part of your bust and that it's parallel to the ground even around your back.

I just realized yesterday that I was having the measuring tape follow the back of my bra, which actually made my bust seem smaller because the largest part of my bust is slightly higher than where the back of my bra sits. It turns out I had to add an inch to my bustline! It explains why order bras online didn't work out too well either!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/147

Height: 5'10''

It's difficult to know when you sohuld measure so I've set weight loss mini goals and when I reach each of those I will take my measurements again.
Mimi123 is offline   Reply With Quote