Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/309/150

Height: 5'5

Default Should I buy a Wii?

Thinking I want something I can do in the mornings.. I can't go to the gym in the morning because I don't have anyone to watch my daughter.. Hubby is working and I go to work after dropping her off at school. I usually go during my lunch break but don't have a lot of time to work out. Is it worth it to get the Wii? Has anyone lost any weight using it? I figured my daughter and I can do it together.
2CuteToBeFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #2  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

I lost weight after I incorporated the Wii and Wii Fit into my life - I haven't used it in almost 4 months now because once the weather started getting nice, I started doing outdoor stuff (biking, hiking, swimming). But during the cold Chicago winters (and sometimes fall and spring too), it's a total lifesaver plus it's so much fun! I love the hula hoop, step dance, yoga and boxing - the boxing is probably my favorite.

Last edited by ShesLosingIt; 08-29-2011 at 07:47 AM.
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #3  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I don't see the Wii providing real workouts. I might be wrong but to me it is more games. It is fun though.
So if you want one, buy one.
But if you are looking for a real workout I would suggest some fitness DVDs and some 3 lbs dumbbells, resistance bands, stability ball, etc. rather than a Wii.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I think you can get a decent workout with a Wii, depending on how in shape you are to start - if you are in really good shape, it's going to be tougher, but if you are just starting out, it's a great way to get started.

I did find that after about 3-4 months, the Wii Fit program was not really challenging enough (although still fun) and I got some additional programs such as Golds Gym Cardio (cardio boxing) that pushed me a bit more. Unfortunately, I stopped working out for several months and am just getting back into it, so I've started up again with Wii Fit.

Another non-Wii but good one you can do at home is Walk Away The Pounds. You can buy DVDs or download it onto your computer. Or if you have On Demand on cable, it's on there too.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I think the wii is a good alternative, especially if you are new to fitness. I think it has helped me to get into a routine. Kids can do it along with you.

I really enjoy Walk it Out. Sort of a video game and walking program in one. My little gs likes to "excercise" with me using this game.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/175/No idea

Height: 6'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CuteToBeFat View Post
Thinking I want something I can do in the mornings.. I can't go to the gym in the morning because I don't have anyone to watch my daughter.. Hubby is working and I go to work after dropping her off at school. I usually go during my lunch break but don't have a lot of time to work out. Is it worth it to get the Wii? Has anyone lost any weight using it? I figured my daughter and I can do it together.
I would not waste the money. In my opinion, none of the exercises you can do with the Wii fit are any better than simply doing mat exercises. The Wii is decent just to play games, but I did not get any meaningful exercise out of it.

- L89
Lurker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I recently dusted off the wii fit (I've had it since February but haven't used it a lot) and it's a LOT of fun. I did the hula hoop and boxing exercises a bunch of times, then I did a row of the strength exercises and worked up a sweat. I think it's a decent workout to be honest, as it is with everything else it gives back what you put into it, and I can see how you can "cheat." I don't feel like it's as intense as getting on the treadmill or elliptical, but I do think it's great.

Last edited by djs06; 08-29-2011 at 10:26 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #8  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

The wii fit isn't challenging but I do like Just Dance and EA Sports Ative. My husband and I both sweat on those games because were moving around a lot. The only thing I don't like is sometimes it doesn't register your moves or the remote isn't synchronized with the movements on the game.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/167/140

Height: 5'4"

To each their own. If you think you will use it, buy a whole bundle on craigslist. I bought the system, wii fit board, 2 controllers, and a game for $130. No joke. I then went and bought the nunchucks (sp?) and a couple other games for it. I run outside 4 times a wk and strength train 2 times a wk. I use the wii for fun stuff. I have done the basic run and it's easy, but there is a free run where you can set the timer for 10, 20, or 30 mins. I will be doing that on rainy days or days when I can't get out to run. My hubby and I play on the wkends and it gives us some time to have fun together with the kids.
sniperhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/205/150

Height: 5'4''

if you know of five or so fitness games you want to use, then it might be worth it. personally, i use just dance 2 a lot, so that alone is pretty worth it.
BUT, i have a suggestion before you drop a down payment for one
think of the games or programs you want to use. go online or to youtube and search them and see if you there are posted videos with the programs available. the only reason for the wii is to track progress and to tell you you're doing something right based on the sensor. but if you just want the workouts, then try this first to see what you can find.
for example. almost ALL of the just dance songs and any other dance game you can imagine is available on youtube. just grab some weights and start dancing along and you don't have to spend a penny.
JVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/190/135

Height: 5'6.5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CuteToBeFat View Post
I like my wii, But I haven't gotten over thinking of it as a toy as opposed to an exercise device. So it keeps me from using it as often as I could/should. I have the Biggest Loser Challenge and I get as much of a workout as if I used a DVD. I really like the Wii. I should use it more often. ;-)

Last edited by Sued1971; 08-29-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Sued1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #12  
I think I can...

I have a Kinect and get a pretty decent workout from the Dance Central (so much fun) Zumba Fitness and the Biggest Loser game is super challenging to me I havent completed it yet.
I say any movement is good! But if you purely want to exercise and aren't much interested in the gaming aspect it would probably be cheaper to just buy some exercise DVD's.
Walk away the pounds and hiphop abs are a couple of my favorites.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 216/194/145

Height: 5'4"

I second the Xbox Kinect. It is pricier than the Wii but I’ve had both and the Kinect was the one that I really worked out on. I did the Your Shape Fitness Evolved, Dance Central (demo) and the Just Dance (super fun!). I tried the Biggest Loser game too and it’s really good!

The Wii got really boring fast, and I honestly would find ways to cheat my workouts (I know I was just cheating myself! LOL) by just adding weight on the board where I was supposed to or moving the control but not working out LOL Terrible, I know. Since the Kinect sensors your whole body it is so much harder to cheat, let me tell you HAHA.

I tried a kickboxing class on the Your Shape game and then got the TurboJam workout DVD because I wanted a longer, more challenging workout, and since then I’ve only been doing DVDs and have really started to enjoy working out. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money, I suggest trying out workout DVDs, they’re a lot cheaper.
fatsincebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #14  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

I have both and third the xbox kinnect!
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #15  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

If you're relatively physically fit, then the Wii won't provide you with a good enough workout. That said it can be a nice way to start working out or a nice supplement to your workout routine.

Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus are pretty nice, but I found the Just Dance games to be LOTS of fun and give you a pretty nice workout.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote