Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #1  
thinks she can

S/C/G: 321/266.1/170

Height: 5'9"

Default dealing with feelings gets easier

I see a lot of people (me included!) caught up in guilt and self-recrimination when it comes to their weight. I want to say "no!" to that guilt and self-recrimination and share my little triumph today.

I use the HALT acronym (hungry, angry, lonely, tired) to check in with myself when I'm feeling off. Today I was all four and hit my emotional wall while I happened to be at the grocery store. I said mentally "to h*** with this, I want fried food" and loaded up my cart with all the fried things I used to eat. I took a second lap around the store staring at the food. I took out about half of what I put in. I took a third lap around the store and took more out. By the end of my fourth lap the only things I had in my cart that weren't originally on my list were some garlic and grated ginger. Not a single non-plan food made it through the check-out.

I went out to lunch with friends and only had about 300 calories left for the day. I decided that I needed to take care of myself with a healthy dinner but that I didn't need to binge. I ended the day having eaten about 1700 calories instead of my planned 1500. 500 of those calories were from the dinner that I had originally thought I would binge my way through.

I'm still tired and grouchy, but a part of me also recognizes how absolutely monumental this is. I could focus on going over by 200 calories, but I refuse to do that. Instead, I am going to remember that today somehow I found enough self-respect and dignity to not abuse my body with food when I'm feeling lousy.
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

First of all, congratulations on the victory at the grocery store! Great job rejecting the fried foods. And you got some extra exercise with all the laps around the store.
Also, I like your attitude about not being caught up in the guilt about your weight. You are very strong both mentally and physically. It is good that you are realizing this and looking toward the positive. Keep it up!
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Well done! You did a great job using HALT and then putting the items back at the grocery store. I also think you did really well when eating out; 200 calories over is not bad.

I use a similar ACRONYM called FLAB. It stands for: Frustrated, Lonely, Angry or Bored and it reminds me to not to eat in response to those feelings.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I think this is a HUGE success. You put back all those foods you know you didn't really want. You didn't binge your way through dinner.

Only going over by 200 is such a little thing compared to your ENORMOUS successes today

I'm in awe, because it's so easy to slip back, and you were stronger and stuck through it when it was truly difficult.

Last edited by Lovely; 08-27-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #5  

Martini - that is a super result. And 200 calories is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Any time you turn your back on old habits is a reason to be proud!!
That is strength of purpose girl! GREAT WORK!
MrsTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Great job, Martini.

One thing I really liked about that story is that it illustrates how much time you have to take control after you (think you) have given in to an impulse to go off plan.

People often talk about eating off plan as though it's an impulse - "I couldn't stop myself, and before I knew it ..." etc. But it's usually not an impulse; the off-plan foods don't magically appear before you to be eaten. You have to go to the store, buy them, take them home, prepare them, etc. Each of these steps takes time, and each of these steps is an opportunity to get a hold of yourself and make a better choice. You have the power to reverse a bad decision at any point right up until the very last bite of off-plan food goes into your mouth.

Your story illustrates that perfectly. You weren't a goner the moment you had the food in your cart, and you gave yourself a chance to change your mind and then you took advantage of it. You exercised your will and used it to say "no!" to your inner three-year old. That is a great success.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

That is awesome. Just like you I am trying to work on WHY I eat. Also, still trying to conciously choose NOT to punish myself by overeating when I experience HALT. Thanks for sharing and awesome for you.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh, and it may sound trite but I actually try to stop and ask myself WHAT AM I REALLLLLLY hungry for when I am in HALT. Am I hungry for conversation, a good vent, a back rub, what???????
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Be proud of yourself! We are proud of you. I love the HALT acronym, I'll have to use that one for myself.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote