Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/233/130

Question I Hate Exercise!

im a high school senior so i get up at 6:00 and im at school from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm on a good easy day. im so tired when i get home, its almost imposible to go work out when all i wanna do is take a nap before i start on my homework. i eat extreally heathy and very low cal, (under 1300) so i am loosing weight at a good 1-2 pounds a week and iv been doing this for almost a month. so how can i find ways to workout befor i crash?
kb11311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

For many people, exercise gives the individual more energy. It raises endorphine levels that can leave a person feeling happier and more energetic.

Exercise is important for health even if you are already losing weight, so it's good you are trying to get in exercise even though you're losing weight steadily! Congrats!

I would try to incorporate maybe a 30 minute brisk walk, yoga routine, jog, casual sports with friends (soccer game, frisbee, tennis), or bike ride. Try to block out about half an hour or an hour 3 or so times a week. One of these times can be on the weekend when you don't have school.

Getting outside after a full day in the classroom could be a huge refresher to you before you start homework and such. I know after a day inside in the office I feel exhausted, but going to yoga afterwards- getting the blood flowing and the muscles stretched and toned- does wonders for my mood and energy.

Play around with what works for you. Getting home at 3:30 and going outside for a long walk or bike ride still leaves you finished by 4:30, enough time for dinner, shower, and relaxing before homework time. Plus it gives your brain a mental break from homework.

Remember that when you start working in "the real world" the day begins at 8 and sometimes doesn't end until 5 PM, 6 PM, or even later! Making exercise a priority in your life NOW is a great way to prepare yourself for an even more hectic schedule later

Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #3  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

I have to agree with indiblue.

I'm a part-time student and also work 2 jobs. My day starts at about 05:45am and ends at around 18:00. I plan my meals for the day so I don't make a quick turn to the shop for unhealthy food. But anyways, I also used to hate excercise until I found something I enjoyed doing. I absolutely fell inlove with Zumba and dancing, not to mention Yoga or all the Jillian Michales DVD's. I now look forward to excercise when I get home!!!! Haha, if you told me this a few years ago then I would have laughed at you.

After I excercise I feel I have more energy and I'm also happier. My brain is also focussed more on the work I have to do and tests I have to study for.

Find something you enjoy and take that hour or so a day to excercise and make it "YOU" time.

Goodluck!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

I totally know how you feel! I felt the same way (and still do hehe) in high school.

It might help if you can find a way to get some exercise into your normal routine. Do you live close enough to walk or bike to school? I lived about a half hour walk from school, so that was an hour a day of fast walking that I automatically got!

What about joining a team or sport? I did this in HS and we had practice 3 days a week and 2 games per week, so that was an additional hour and a half of running per day.

Also, are you getting enough sleep? If not, that could be why you're so tired.

Edit: I have a bone to pick about the "real world" comments! Adults don't understand student life these days (of a tgood student anyways). You can't just get good grades and expect to get into a good uni anymore! You need to have near-perfect grades, be on varsity sports, volunteer, organize fundraisers, travel, play an instrument and have a job and still somehow have time for friends and family which then includes contributing to the household by cleaning, cooking, watching younger siblings etc.

If you add up all your engagements for the week, a student can easily have 100+ hours of "work" per week, and then you have to fit in friends, family and exercise. And sleep (which is always the first thing to go)!!!!

Add to that the stress of a senior who has to make college decisions, do applications etc.

This is coming from someone with a "real world" summer job for the past 4 months. Let me tell you - the "real world" is infinitely eaiser (albeit more boring and depressing) than being a student.

OK, that's my rant

Last edited by celly123; 08-24-2011 at 12:44 PM.
celly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #5  

Hi celly, I am young and was in high school just a few years ago. I went to a top university so I totally know how much is demanded of high school students- it's a lot!

College and post-college comes with its own unique time-demands. Some find they have more time, some find it less. I have found I've had less time than in high school, but everyone is different.

My point is simply that it's great to figure out early how to make exercise a regular part of one's schedule and day. The OP is doing that, which is great and I applaud that.

Last edited by indiblue; 08-24-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6

I commend all you young ladies for wanting to get fit and healthy while still in school. I wish I had gone on this journey a lot sooner than I did. You can always sneak in a thirty minute jog, jumping rope, bodyweight circuit, kettlebells, Pilates or Yoga. If I can do it at my age (see my siggie) and with two kids and a hubby, so can you. Doing something is better than nothing IMO.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
Hi celly, I am young and was in high school just a few years ago. I went to a top university so I totally know how much is demanded of high school students- it's a lot!

College and post-college comes with its own unique time-demands. Some find they have more time, some find it less. I have found I've had less time than in high school, but everyone is different.

My point is simply that it's great to figure out early how to make exercise a regular part of one's schedule and day. The OP is doing that, which is great and I applaud that.
I've found that I have more time, just weirdly distributed aha! It's hard to figure out how to use those 1 hour breaks between class that are not quite long enough to make the trek to the gym worth it, but just long enough that just sitting around feels like a waste....

celly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #8  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Walk. It's fun. It's free. and most importantly...It doesn't feel like EXERCISE..WOOT!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by celly123 View Post
I've found that I have more time, just weirdly distributed aha! It's hard to figure out how to use those 1 hour breaks between class that are not quite long enough to make the trek to the gym worth it, but just long enough that just sitting around feels like a waste....

I hear you, it's about utilizing those windows- if you're in college or high school it could mean study hall or break between classes, if you're working it could mean on your lunch break, if you're a mom it's that little time during naptime...

I used to bring gym clothes with me and a travel-sized toiletry bag (with shampoo and a hairbrush) so I could run to the gym for 30 minutes and take a quick shower between classes. If you workout efficiently, doing intensive cardio or compound lifting, 30 minutes is definitely enough.

I think people have the perception that you need to go to the gym for a minimum of 1 hour for it to be "worth it." Sure, a long period of sustained cardio (walking/biking for an hour) is GREAT and important for a healthy heart, but you shouldn't do that EVERY time you go to the gym.

Rather, perhaps two 30 minute intensive sessions during the week and a long walk, bike ride, jog, or pickup flag football game on the weekend when there is more time is a great exercise regimen.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #10  

Hi, kb11311

Actually, if you want to add exercise to your daily routine just for weight losses sake, you might not want to bother. I know that it's not often talked about, but exercise as such is not a very effective weight loss method. *

But I agree with others that exercise is important for other reasons, like increasing your energy level etc. And exercise is important when you want to maintain your weight loss result.

* If a 220 lb guy starts exercising 4h per week, he loses in average 6-8 lb in a year. (Improvements in diet like increasing the amount of fruits and veggies consumed help lose much more than exercise.)
bodycapable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #11  
Go Hard!

S/C/G: 227.4/132/127.4

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodycapable View Post
Hi, kb11311

Actually, if you want to add exercise to your daily routine just for weight losses sake, you might not want to bother. I know that it's not often talked about, but exercise as such is not a very effective weight loss method. *

But I agree with others that exercise is important for other reasons, like increasing your energy level etc. And exercise is important when you want to maintain your weight loss result.

* If a 220 lb guy starts exercising 4h per week, he loses in average 6-8 lb in a year. (Improvements in diet like increasing the amount of fruits and veggies consumed help lose much more than exercise.)
Can I ask where you are getting your "statistics" from?

I completely disagree with this. Exercise speeds up your metabolism, therefore helping you lose weight, on top of a healthy eating plan. And, if you don't just want to lose pounds on the scale, but actually look much better and fit, you definitely NEED to exercise, including at least some form of weight bearing exercise.

To the OP, like others have mentioned, find the time at least 30 minutes 3-4 times a week to do some form of movement, even if it's just a quick walk. You will find if you do it over time, you may learn to love it like I have and feel better afterwards.
SC Vitamin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

if you just want to squeeze in some exercise there are DVDs with all the 10 minute workouts, this way you can just do 10 minutes here and there.

I can relate to feeling tired after school, I always came home exhausted despite going to bed as early as 7p.m. or 8 p.m.! After school I just caught a second wind to get through an exercise video, plus I wanted to lose weight bad enough I just forced myself to exercise. I still feel tired these days even though I'm out of HS, so I suspect I have something medical going on that needs to be checked.

so, first make sure you are getting enough sleep. second, if you can, get a general doctors checkup (thyroid, diabetes, etc..), just to rule out you aren't tired from something beyond your control.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote