Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #1  
Just Breathe

S/C/G: 293/279/Healthy

Height: 5'6

Default Is a schedule important to you?

I have been doing a lot of research on individuals who have had success in a healthier lifestyle and long term weight loss and I have noticed that they all pretty much have routine schedules.

I am a SAHM so my schedule is making sure my kids and DH are on their schedule which has made my life pretty erratic. I guess what I need to do is sit down and make sure I schedule myself time for preparing meals and snacks that will keep me in line and time for exercising.

I'm sure this is a pretty stupid question but have any of you adapted a new routine/schedule since you have started your journey towards healthy living?
MsRatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #2  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

For me, a schedule is imperative. I'm a full-time student and my husband works full-time and goes to school part-time. Our twins just started kindergarten and we have a 4 month old baby--so yeah, the schedule is necessary! My best friend is my workout buddy and is also a student and a mom too, so right now with the semester starting this week, we've been going a little nuts trying to figure out what will work best for our class and kid schedules. Next week when we settle into our routine and start our spinning class, things should be back to normal and much easier. Anyway, we like to do certain workouts certain days and times, and I pack pre-portioned snacks to take to school to make sure I stay OP. It's absolutely possible to lose weight and be a parent, student, employee, etc.--it just takes a lot of hard work and commitment! Good luck!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

No schedule here. I'm the opposite of you right now - DD is grown and on her own in another state and I live alone. No schedule (except for working 40 hours a week) is the best thing! I just have "me" to worry about. I have found that just trying to get to the gym every day and have some thought given to meals is the only routine I need. I don't have to have junk in the house and I don't feel compelled to finish anyone's dinner. Those 2 things make this SO much easier! And I'm on the go a lot, so sometimes supper is at 5:00 and sometimes it's "never". Weekends are all over the place, and I just try to make the best choices by planning ahead. Different things work for different people. I never was one for rigid schedules, so this works for me.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

for me, a routine is more important than a schedule. by that I mean that my primary weight loss focus revolves around the food, and I make sure that I have the foods I need for my plan readily available. I have certain things I cook every weekend (hard boiled eggs, chicken soup which equals 3 lunches, etc). Knowing that my on plan food is always ready and available means I don't ever have to face not having what I should be eating and forced to make a less good choice.

For activity. I am still working on building a routine around that but it is tough because I work full time and am the single mom of a 7 year, and between work, commuting and drop off and pick up for him, we are gone from 7:15 am to 6 pm or later. So between these responsibilities and calls on my time, I sometimes end up cutting corners for myself.

Right now, I'm trying to adjust my sleep schedule so I can fall asleep earlier and face waking up at 5:30 am to work out. I've done it in the past, so I know I will be able to adjust to that but it's a process.

Last edited by April Snow; 08-23-2011 at 11:55 PM.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #5  

Nope - no schedule - I am busy but don't find it neccessary to schedule my time. I have a routine like most people - and really that IS a schedule?
What do you think the difference is?
MrsTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i am SUCH a schedule and list person! i have to be...i have a calendar at work that has every work-related, kid-related, personal stuff, etc on it...DH and i both work full-time...i manage a state-licensed childcare program at an elementary school, with myself, one part time staff person and a high school intern...i am responsible for all administrative paperwork, meeting licensing requirements, food program and associated grants, attendance and associated grants, discipline, lesson plans, room design, purchasing and anything else that's needed...i am first aid/CPR/AED certified and hold a national childcare certification....i work a split shift, 645-8 a.m. and then noon to 6 p.m. or thereabouts...because we are open before/after school...or like today i worked 645 a.m. to 6 p.m. straight

and i'm also now serving on the board of directors for a local part of a national childcare organization...

DH works full time as a state labor investigator and we have two boys, 13 and 5...now both in school this year at different schools, one playing sports...i do all our budgeting, financial stuff, paying bills, grocery shopping, doctor appts, school fees, menus etc...

i have calendars...i have dry erase boards full of lists at work, with sticky notes on TOP of the dry erase board, plus more sticky notes on my computer, and ones on my desk...i write reminders on my hand too...i post menus on the refrigerator at home...i make school lunches ahead of time to cut down on daily work...

the only things i did different for weight loss was to keep a record daily of the food i eat, what time i ate it, and calories and/or carbs...ive done that daily since last march...i also pack some food to take to work so i wont be nibbling into other things...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Wow! You all sound so busy! I think that does make it hard to always get your shopping and cooking, and then exercise in if you do that.

For me, though, the worst thing is down time. If I sit around all day, I'm much more likely to get in trouble. I'm a sahm, too, and I've got a 2 year old and an 8 year old. We are normally pretty busy, especially in the afternoon/evenings when my older son is done with camp or school and we are running around to karate and basketball or have playdates or playgroup. But then I also do playdates and other fun things with my little one in the mornings, as well as errands and shopping and such. But every once in a while I'll have a sitting on the couch for several hours during the day kind of day, and those are the ones I find really challenging diet-wise.

One great thing about my plan is that I only eat once a day, so I don't have to worry about carrying food with me or even really about prep, since my meals are very simple. As long as I've gone grocery shopping I'm good.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

I have changed my schedule. When I come home from work, I do a workout video. No excuses, no exceptions. Then after that, I track my exercise and food for the day. If we go out after work, I do my exercise when I get home, no matter what time it is. On my days off, I can either go for walks with my SO or do a fitness video. I am less scheduled on my days off but still have to exercise and stay on plan eating wise.
I also sit down with my SO every week and plan what we will eat for the next week, make a grocery list and go shopping.
I find that this helps me keep on track. That I have a time to exercise and know what I am going to eat for the week helps me on the days I feel unmotivated. I can just fall into my routine and do it without thinking about it.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I absolutely must have a schedule or routine to get everything done in a day that I need to do. Taking it further, I need one to feel comfortable and make life easier. I have a weekly shopping list that makes it possible for me to follow my food plan. I shop at predefined times at predetermined stores. I know when I will cook and prepare my lunches. I have to plan to get my exercise in or I don't exercise. I think that Dr. Oz calls it automating.

Getting off of schedule or routine throws me completely.

But I do plan my time to be spontaneous.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I am a kind of haphazard person in general, to be honest. If I don't plan on doing something, it doesn't usually get done- unless I'm, on some off chance, "in the mood" to do the task in question. I'm actually not a lazy person by nature, but it's easy to get into that mode. So I'll keep a mental list of things I need to do throughout the week and give myself some options of when to do them. I need structure, but not TOO MUCH structure.

The ONLY time I'm consistent about working out is when I do it before work. And after any length of time off, even just a few days, I have to retrain myself to do this because I HATE getting up in the morning. HATE. But once I'm up and drinking my morning coffee and having breakfast, it's fine.

I'm trying really hard to do the weekly meal planning but I haven't been successful at that for more than a few weeks at a time.

OH! You know what planning helps me a lot? Ironing/picking out my outfits for the week. That way I can just throw them in my gym bag the night before and not have to putz around with it in the morning. Another procrastination technique eliminated. lol

Last edited by djs06; 08-24-2011 at 10:43 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #11  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I am very much a creature of habit and routine. I run a home daycare though so that helps with my scheduling of meals and such. I eat when they eat! So I have breakfast at 7:30, snack at 10, Lunch at 12:30, Snack at 3, Dinner at 6 and then snack at 9. It works!!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #12  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I'm semi-scheduled. I am SAHM to a one year old and a two year old. I definitely have to plan around naptimes (little dude is still mostly on 2 naps/day) but it's pretty loose. I go to the gym in between morning and afternoon naps, since childcare is only available 'til 11:30. Otherwise, we just do what we do. I start to think about dinner around 3:00 (and head to the store if anything is needed) and prep is usually underway by 4:30, since we eat at 5:30 as a rule. Bed time for little dude is 6:15, big dude goes to bed at 6:45 and then DH and I get to take a deep breath and chiiilllll.

The only big changes in my schedule have been making time for the gym and thinking slightly further ahead about dinner so we don't get take-out. Otherwise I run a pretty relaxed ship. I think with 2 kids as young as mine are I'd go bonkers trying to keep them on a strict schedule.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #13  
Walking the Journey

S/C/G: 307/ticker/175

Height: 5'7

my control freak self LOVES the schedule.

and my inner rebel loves to RESCHEDULE the schedule.

It makes life interesting.

But as long as I'm accountable, I find "flexible structure" works best for me.

I am a mother of 2 girls - 3 and 8. We homeschool. Partner to a man courting his PHD in Economics. I'm currently a Student and Photographer. And, I'm currently living with my mother with the two girls while Eric gets ready to depart to finish up his final semester before Grad School. OY! Routine happens, but not without learning to bend (else I BREAK!)

-Kiki
Wyllowbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

I dunno. I have both routines and schedules. They change depending on what's going on.

I think that I prefer plans. I like to plan ahead. I plan out a lot of my meals for the week so that I have an idea of what I'm going to be having each day. I plan out what day I'm going to the store, or what day I should get a certain chore done.

It can always be altered, but if I have an idea of what I'm going to be doing it helps me stay in control of my exercise and food. For example, if I know I'm going to be busy all day Friday, I have to make sure to plan in my exercise for when I wake up, and not put it off until later in the day.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 305/296/160

Height: 5'10

Hmmm...I started a schedule for this kids that I stick to through out the school year, just to make evenings run smoothly and to make sure that nothing gets looked over...

3-4 do homework
4-6 free time...computer, outside, TV---I am cooking during this time
6-7 dinner
7-8 baths
8-read
9-asleep

I should really do something like this for me during the day...Maybe I would actually get more done..lol
sheshalesha is offline   Reply With Quote