Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/220/150

Height: 5'5

Exclamation I think I'm broken.

Or something is going wrong!

Usually when I diet I can lose at least 3 pounds easy in the first week. It's been two weeks of eating under 1280 or a few calories over on some days and exercising every other day and I haven't lost not ONE pound. I WAS losing inches by the end of week one though but they seem to be coming back. what's wrong with me.

If any of you even mention pregnancy -_- ...
MelloFatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

As crazy as it sounds....do you go to the bathroom ok? Some people experience problems there when the diet changes and maybe that could be it?

Just brainstorming ;-) otherwise, that IS strange.
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Could it be close to your time of the month? Would you generally gain during this time? IF so, maybe your not gaining this month and will see a woosh soon.
As discouraging as this is, keep at it. When I had my annual check up this year my doctor told me that sometimes it will take your body a month after starting a diet to start losing as your body is in shock and will hold onto the fat.
I am wondering if you are eating enough calories for your height and current weight. Maybe try upping them slightly to an average of 1400.
Are you drinking lots of water?
As hard as it is, give it sometime. If the weight does not start coming off, I would suggest seeing your doctor.
Stay strong.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

That's not a whole lot of calories.

I find that when I first start exercising after a period of not, it must make me retain water or something b/c the scale does NOT MOVE for a bit.
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #5  

eat more
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #6  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I was going to say the calorie thing too. I eat 1600 (give or take) and I'm shorter. Sure it's slow on the going down, but it does eventually go. But I don't know much about calories and all that. I just listen to what I'm told But all the suggestions/thoughts sound sound to me. I would think you'd know if you were pregnant Don't give up. Good luck
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #7  
will it ever stick??? lol

S/C/G: 283.6/236.8/155

Height: 5'6

I had this problem!!! I actually went to the doctor after week 3 to see if i had any thyroid problems. It took me a good month and then like NEMom said the weight just started melting off and i lost 30lbs in about 2months. Just wait for it im sure its going to kick in soon! And i only eat 1000-1200 a day so i dont think thats it

Last edited by Amberkkski; 08-23-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Amberkkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #8  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I agree with the other posters about you low calories - BUT, that said, I also agree that it takes your body a bit of time to adjust to a new regime, sometimes a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks. Certainly at between 1200-1300 calories a day, you WILL lose weight, and I suspect it will kick in shortly.

Personally, I've recently been where you are, noting that "Last time, this was so much easier..." and "Every other time..." The human body is smart. It knows when you're dieting, if you've done it before. Try not to be discouraged - the human body is also incredibly forgiving! It's amazing how we really CAN lose weight in less time than it took to put it on.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/158/105

Height: 4ft 11"

I started calorie counting three weeks ago and the weight didn't budge for the first fifteen days! Then I dropped 4lbs and my trousers have felt a lot looser since. I am sure that this is just your body adjusting to the changes you made.
lisa4621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #10  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Gah, I've had the "I'm broken" feeling too! You feel like you're doing everything right and seeing no results! I don't really have a solution except to say hang in there! It could be a million things going on in your body with all the changes and sometimes we just can't control it. Keep doing what you're doing, stay positive- the pounds WILL start coming off eventually!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #11  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

This is where I started! Mine was due to calorie deficiency (wasn't getting 1200 cals in), and nutrition. As my nutritionist told me, the amount of calories can be important, but so are the foods you chose to make those calories up with She ended up also putting me on a B Complex vitamin and a Magnesium supplement to help retrain my metabolism (she used a more technical way of putting it, but that's the lamens term). Initially I also had to do 45 mins 5x/wk of cardio to get it boosted. After that, it all started to come together! If this is the case with you, I am betting it will only be a matter of patience for you since your calories look good Sometimes that "out of the gate gain (in my case)" will discourage a person enough to stop....with all that being said... my best advice.... patience. Don't let the body win and discourage you. Way easier said then done, but necessary to see the results
ItsMyTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This isn't broken, it's normal - we've just been culturally brainwashed into thinking that it isn't.

Bodies change. The calorie level it now takes just to maintain my weight, once netted me (at this same size and even lower) weekly weight losses of 5-8 lbs (and my "first week" weight loss was as much as 11 lbs).

What's sad is that "this time" from the start, I've lost slower than at all my previous quitting points. I quit because I was failing to lose at least 1 to 1.5 lbs per week. My average weight loss this time started at about 1 lb per month (now I've managed to get it up to about 2 lbs per month).

You can wish it was different, but your body will only lose what it will lose. Sometimes changing the proportion of nutrients can help (I lose a little faster on low-carb than I do on high-carb - there's about a 300 calorie difference. On 1800 calories of low-carb, I lose about as fast as on 1500 calories of high-carb, but even on 1200 calories of low-carb I still don't lose very fast).

We're taught to think we're in the minority, but we're not. Even when I was losing only 1 lb per month and complained to my doctor that I should be able to lose "at least a pound a week like a normal person," and my doctor pointed out that normal people do not lose anything. Even 1 lb per month is astonishingly, amazing success - we're just not taught to look at it that way.

If you join a TOPS group (taking off pounds sensibly) you get to see what normal really is (because in TOPS groups every week you get at least a report of how many gains and how many losses the group had - our group won state recognition for average weight loss and for most weeks without a net gain - and our group only averages about 1/3 to 1/2 pound loss per person, and our group is made up about one third close to their goal, one third overweight to obese, and one third morbidly obese.

We're taught to think that 2 lbs per week is "normal" but even 1 lb per month is extraordinary. It's no wonder that weight loss statistics are so dismal, when we're telling even the cheetahs that they're actually turtles.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 267/230.5/161

Height: 5"8

I agree with other posters; I also think that you need to eat more calories..by maybe 600 more a day..if not your body will go into starvation mode and keep the weight on..
SLIMplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/*ticker*/145

Height: 5'7

Have you had your metabolism tested? I need to eat about 1100 calories a day to see a weight loss of 1-2lb a week which a lot of people on the site told me the felt like it was nothing, but the truth of it is I have a EXTREMELY slow metabolism (stupid working at a desk in front of a computer all day... ) They also say it is harder for yo-yo dieters to get started because your body is like "oh.. i remember this" and tries to hold onto everything at first. If you are truly concerned, I would consult a doctor about it, but otherwise just stick with it and things will pay off!
sabri711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #15  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
This isn't broken, it's normal - we've just been culturally brainwashed into thinking that it isn't.

Bodies change. The calorie level it now takes just to maintain my weight, once netted me (at this same size and even lower) weekly weight losses of 5-8 lbs (and my "first week" weight loss was as much as 11 lbs).

What's sad is that "this time" from the start, I've lost slower than at all my previous quitting points. I quit because I was failing to lose at least 1 to 1.5 lbs per week. My average weight loss this time started at about 1 lb per month (now I've managed to get it up to about 2 lbs per month).

You can wish it was different, but your body will only lose what it will lose. Sometimes changing the proportion of nutrients can help (I lose a little faster on low-carb than I do on high-carb - there's about a 300 calorie difference. On 1800 calories of low-carb, I lose about as fast as on 1500 calories of high-carb, but even on 1200 calories of low-carb I still don't lose very fast).

We're taught to think we're in the minority, but we're not. Even when I was losing only 1 lb per month and complained to my doctor that I should be able to lose "at least a pound a week like a normal person," and my doctor pointed out that normal people do not lose anything. Even 1 lb per month is astonishingly, amazing success - we're just not taught to look at it that way.

If you join a TOPS group (taking off pounds sensibly) you get to see what normal really is (because in TOPS groups every week you get at least a report of how many gains and how many losses the group had - our group won state recognition for average weight loss and for most weeks without a net gain - and our group only averages about 1/3 to 1/2 pound loss per person, and our group is made up about one third close to their goal, one third overweight to obese, and one third morbidly obese.

We're taught to think that 2 lbs per week is "normal" but even 1 lb per month is extraordinary. It's no wonder that weight loss statistics are so dismal, when we're telling even the cheetahs that they're actually turtles.
I have absolutely no words of wisdom...but if I did, I'd wish these were them
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote