Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers weekly chat August 22 - 28

Just shuddering at Laffie dodging "a major bullet." Glad you both escaped unharmed.

But it reminds me of a similar story when I saw a HUGE tree limb fall on my nearly-dead mini-van years ago. I was sooooooooo happy. I hated that car by then and was dawdling getting a new one. I watched as the city workers removed the limb, piece by piece, and discovered . . . not a single scratch or dent on my old car. The city didn't need to buy me a new one.

Did you know that there are show rooms where you can go and find literally 10,000 cabinet knobs and pulls on display? It's boggling. After eliminating the pink mermaids and cherry cowboy boots types, there are still thousands left. I thought paying a fortune for new kitchen cabinets would bring only happiness and joy, but alas, it means one more decision, LOL. It is neat to discover that the ones DW and I both like are simple and inexpensive.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Good Morning all!

Bill I have been in one of those stores with all the knobs and pulls. What, no chili peppers or knife/fork/spoon pulls for your kitchen? I think, back when I went about 10 years ago, they were charging $15 EACH for stuff like that. We went with the tasteful (and inexpensive) plain white porcelain knobs in our otherwise very colourful kitchen.

What did you and DW select?

And Laffie and I are very fortunate . The online newspaper here reports cars crushed by entire trees during the storm. Not even a scratch on Laffie!

I am going to have to take a step back and start writing down all my cals again and staying under 1500 until I get well below my red line. I'm probably looking at 133 (130 would be ideal - it's my goal) which I know I can successfully maintain without too much pain.

It's like jayell has said to many people. If it's not working you have to try something different. In my case I have to go back to something which works. I have yet to figure out exactly how many cals I can eat to stay at/under 133 but I will find out this September.

Good Monday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Bill and Dagmar. your redecorating efforts remind me of when I decided to do some wallpapering. If you think cabinet knobs are baffling try looking through wallpaper books.There are thousands of choices, just when i found one I liked I would make the mistake and turn one more page. There was just too much choice, I could never make up my mind. Result ? I never wallpapered. My decision now is , do I want to buy barstools for my new apartment ? The bar is there I just don't know if I would ever use them.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-22-2011 at 07:50 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I know you didn't ask for advice, bargoo, but I have to wade in. Despite your name, I wouldn't buy stools. I'd use it to stand at or as a barre for exercise.

Phew, Dagmar!

Last edited by silverbirch; 08-22-2011 at 08:52 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #5  

Silverbirch , ai think you may be right , that is why I am hesitating. They will look nice but may never get used.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #6  
Workin' It

Bargoo - I bought bar stools for a Father's Day event where I needed a little extra seating right after we moved into our house four years ago. That is the only time they were ever used. They take up closet space now.

Dagmar - glad Laffie got missed by the limb!

Bill - I've been in those stores, worked in one for a brief period of time. They scare me. I don't do well with too many choices. I got three big paint fans when we were building our house and it locked me down for days.

I managed to exercise both days this weekend even with the craziness around me. I'm hoping that I'll do better this week with being in control instead of being controlled by life.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #7  

Shannon and Silverbirch, thanks for your thoughts. I am not getting bar stools. That's that.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Bargoo--- are you moving?

Dagmar-- glad you and Laffie dodged the bullet!

Nice but busy weekend for me. I've got to get back to tracking diligently. I've been hit or miss since returning from Houston. My weight is up a few pounds but it was a little low before I left, but I don't want to get complacent.

School starts here Wednesday so things are going into high gear. The teachers are all asking me for scheduling times but I can't really schedule anything until I know when all the preps, science, reading, math, lunch, recess, etc. is! With well over 1000 students and quickly rising, scheduling is a true nightmare.

Back to work for me! I have a meeting at 10 am with my principal to discuss how we want to spend a $5000 donation from Hannah's family (they donated specifically to the library). I have some ideas but I can't get my dumb printer to work-- uggh!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #9  

Yes , Michele , I am moving, still in California to a town called Davis about 111 miles from where I now live. I am in the sorting, discarding, packing stage now.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Yes , Michele , I am moving, still in California to a town called Davis about 111 miles from where I now live. I am in the sorting, discarding, packing stage now.
Good luck packing, etc. Yes, I'm familiar with Davis. Dd is looking there at UC Davis.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #11  
Chuggin' along...

Afternoon everyone,

Somebody out there must have really wanted to me to steam clean the carpets like I've been planning/procrastinating on for a few weeks, because I woke up at 3:00 AM (why is it always exactly 3:00 AM?) to a strange smell... yup, Emma accident on the carpet. I spent from 3-5 parading her up and down the street and working on those spots, and since I had extra detergent solution left in the tank, I hit another few "spots" that needed work. After sleeping in this morning, extra glad I got today off, I did the rest of the high traffic areas in the house. Can I just say how gross yet fascinating it is how much sand and dirt my regular vacuum misses. My earlier AM walk Emma and gym plans have been moved to this afternoon & evening - NBD. I'm also making some black bean "stoup", even though it's not exactly soup weather yet. I've been craving it.

I'm laughing about wanting trees to hit your car. My Honda Civic is 12 years old. The paint looks horrible and I do need a new muffler but I love the car! I joke about wanting someone to steal it so I can get something new and shiny... but I really don't. I've only had to do fairly minimal maintenance to it, it runs pretty reliably, and you really can't beat the gas mileage.

Michele, I'm sure with all the budget troubles the gift from Hannah's family will be able to make a difference in the library. GL w all your scheduling and school starting!

I'm sure I would love to design my own home and space, but I know it would be a lot of work like you all say! There are advantages to renting. Though my landlady just told me that if I'd like to get some sort of awning/shade on the porch to go ahead (at her expense). It really could use it, so I need to start researching possibilities and making decisions there!

Have a good afternoon and week, all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #12  

Our last place was our first apartment together where we were allowed to do stuff so I went a little crazy with repainting everything (although it badly needed it). I found out what a perfectionist DH is at that time. He spent over a week prepping the kitchen for painting. And another week painting it. It was 2 colours + white and it looked absolutely smashing when it was done. Our landlady was so impressed she reimbursed us for all the paint and supplies and new knobs for all the cabinets and drawers.

It took DH and myself 3 months of arguing and talking and comparing to pick the colours for the kitchen.

I shudder to think what will happen when I buy a house. DH will probably let me pick all the colours and then whine the whole time we live there.

I am OP today and am at 1400 cals with 100 left over for my evening snack. I have a small can of flavoured tuna ready. It is so different from what I normally snack on that I'm hoping it breaks me out of my "fruit/carbs" in the evening rut.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Bill, I seem to do all my browsing online these days, so when I needed knobs for my cabinets, I ended up on sites like knobs4less.com and knobsandhardware.com. But when I bought them finally, it was on eBay. Mine have a colored enamel Arts & Crafts design on them in blue and green. When I saw them, I just knew they were right. It's like love at first sight in the movies. That has sort of become my requirement with home furnishings. I have to feel **compelled** since I'm making a long-term commitment to living with them. I have to feel okay with waking up and seeing them first thing in the morning and then again before I go to bed at night ... you see the analogy? ;-)

I can't believe how good it feels to be Upstate in the country. It's not just the change of scenery, it's the change of routine. I feel as if I am convalescing. And no that word isn't too strong for the relief I am feeling.

Now off to the declining gym in town. To the weight section which is only used by seniors receiving physical therapy and large men who look as though they lift things onto and off trucks for a living. I feel odd there but want to continue my lifting especially with such a spacious area full of equipment.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #14  

Default Where are . . .

. . . moderator Meg and Alaska Pat? Anyone ever hear from either of them? Just curious.

Dagmar
Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #15  

I have wondered about Meg, too. She was such an inspiration to me when I hit goal and didn't know how I could stay there. The last I remember was when she was going to New Mexico when her daughter was having a baby.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-23-2011 at 06:57 PM.