Old 07-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 1.75" (that 3/4 inch is important!)

Default HNS alternative

Good morning! (well, it's morning for me in Hawaii) I know most of y'all look for cheaper alternatives to the HNS and have found some on dietdirect.com but sometimes the shipping cost is a lot. I did a little sleuthing myself and ended up at GNC. I found a whey protien product that is practically identical to the HNS shakes only it's virtually tasteless, so you can make it taste like or add it to whatever you want! It's by Optimun Nurtition and called "100% Any Whey Protein". I've used it a couple times now and I add a little Crystal Light to it to make my own HNS. Now it says it's "virtually tasteless" but I've noticed a bit of a vanilla-y taste and smell, but it wasn't overwhelming. So anyway, this is an alternative. I got a 21.6 oz tub (30 svgs) for $25. But I bought mine at our Navy Exchange (on military base) so things tend to be cheaper there than out in the civilian world. But I found it on Amazon for cheaper and with free shipping. I like it as an alternative, but I'm not making any promises that you will! As a military wife I know the value of a dollar and thought we could all help each other save a little moolah! I don't have enough posts to be able to post links yet, but if you google "Any whey protein" the manufacturers website (optimumnutrition dot com) and the stuff I found on Amazon will come up. Hope this helps!

Quick look: (per scoop/serving)
70 calories
0 fat
0 Cholesterol
30 mg sodium
1 g Carb
17 g protein (i think thats 2 more than the HNS)
8% DV of Calcium

Last edited by SailorsGirl; 07-30-2011 at 05:42 PM.
SailorsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #2  
Started July 1, 2011

S/C/G: 187/157.5/145

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for the information!!
ginpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #3  

thanks for the tip!
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/137

thank you soooo much! I see lots of whey protein drinks out there for body builders, but they look like heavy chocolate or vanilla.
I used to be able to buy a product like you're describing at a local diet center, but they're now closed.
I'll check it out--it looks like it has the right carbs/pro/fat and I like the idea of putting my own flavors in it.

I have a GNC near me--I'll go ask them.
shiner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #5  
Started Precon 6-20-11

S/C/G: 196/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have a similar product at home and use it sometimes because I already have it. It's not bad with added berries and a little stevia, for example. For the little extra money though, I have found I tend to lean more to the better tasting (IMHO) HNS. They really are the best tasting protein drinks I've tried so far.
victorialynn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #6  

Default I buy mine from Nashua Nutrition

I am doing the MRC diet on my own. I used to go to the centers, but found them too expensive. Anyway, you can get the same HNS products that MRC uses at nashuanutrition.com. Look under the drink section.
nancymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 1.75" (that 3/4 inch is important!)

Nancy, you saved me! Their shipping is WAY cheaper than Dietdirect. Since I live in Hawaii I'm not eligible for DD's free shipping but Nashua's shipping is barely anything. Mahalo nui loa (that's Hawaiian for THANK YOU VERY MUCH)!
SailorsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #8  
Started July 1, 2011

Height: 5'7

How much are the hsn's at your centers? They're only $13 per box or you can buy them 5 for $55 (11 each) or 10 for $100 (10 each).
luvs2read79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #9  
Started Precon 6-20-11

S/C/G: 196/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

luvs2read: that's the same price my center charges

Last edited by victorialynn2; 08-03-2011 at 11:06 PM.
victorialynn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #10  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

Default thanks!

Thanks! i just joined and was wondering if i had to buy all the supplements they were talking about. i order protein powder from Swanson Vitamins, very cheap! i love the food plan, the weigh ins, counseling but can't afford all the supplements and all the vitamins. wasn't sure if they will let me not buy all that stuff. guess i 'll find out friday:-)
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #11  

Bariatric mart.com has all the same items and more. Free shipping over 49.00. I just ordered and am ready to begin on Monday.
Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #12  
Motivated Member

Default HNS alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala View Post
Bariatric mart.com has all the same items and more. Free shipping over 49.00. I just ordered and am ready to begin on Monday.
thanks, Lala. i love the program and have already lost 4 lbs in 3 days. (i know it's water weight but i'm still glad to have it OFF- yay! the first consultant didnt tell me we had to buy the HNSs and in the Friday Food class, they told me it is required and i'm supposed to have 3 HNSs a day! that's more than a $100 a month. i told her no one told me that and of course i've already paid up front. she pretty much told me i had to and there were no way around it. i think they should have told me in the beginning. anyway, i'll order online. What will they do, kick me out if i don't buy them? it was very weird....
Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #13  

I imagine bariatricmart and dietdirect are the same company, their sites are identical, as are their sales. I think there are others too, like bariatricchoice, etc. I think they just put in all of the names they could come up with to direct you to their site.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/137

Hi again,
I wasn't able to find the whey protein powder that I wanted at GNC near me, so I looked online, and found Swanson Health products website--someone else mentioned that too.

I was looking for a powder that you could put into anything--so I didn't want it flavored or hard to mix or sweetened. I get really tired of the oversweet HNS drinks.

Their premium whey protein powder, vanilla flavored, is just what I was looking for. (also there's some interesting info on the net about which way protein powders are made and which ones are best for you--this one is highly rated)

It's $19.99 (plus shipping) for 45 servings, similar cals/carb counts as our HNS--which comes to about 45cents per serving, as compared to $1.57 for $11 boxes at MRC. (be sure to look online for coupon codes to get any extra discounts before you check out)

It's vanilla flavor is barely there when I mix it in other things--like coffee, cottage cheese, etc. I have also been known to drink it plain--not bad. I also mix it with a little of Wyler's pink lemonade mix (sugar free) or TrueLemon lemon, lime, or lemonade mixes.

It mixes pretty well--in a shaker it's easy, in coffee I use my little hand held blender.

I put some in a tupperware container and stored that at work (I had an extra scoop too)

I'm happy with it and am still losing weight and saving myself some bucks.
shiner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #15  
Motivated Member

that's great...i love swanson! great prices. i just tried the HNS fruit punch - bleah!! way too sweet. i'll have to try the whey protein powder from Swanson - i have the chocolate from there but it may have too many carbs. what brand did you get? i ordered the Pink Lemonade powder (Protidiet) from DietDirect 17.5 oz 24 servings for $26 so i can mix it myself. i got the hand shaker from the same site for 2.99 love it!! bought the cappucino, double choc. fudge and chicken noodle HNSs from Dietdirect too... free shipping w/ orders 49 or over..... thanks for all the tips and money saving ideas! :-()