Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #1  

Red face Done with the past, starting over

So, what is behind me is not important. What is in front of me is an opportunity to start fresh, new, and work with a fresh outlook.

I need to just stop worrying about what I messed up on before and gain a new and fresh attitude.

I hope a few people who are really ready to make a go of this join in and support me. I used to have a long term thread here called "Supporting each other on our weight loss journey" and I want to wipe that slate clean and start over.

I bought a new book! It's called "100 Days of Weight Loss" you can use any plan you want to with it, even just calorie counting. I'm going weight watchers and will stay with it, but I hope to REALLY make it work this time and try a different approach. The book's description is called "The secret to being successful on any diet plan". I liked the tone of it and bought it.

Yesterday, I weighed myself and I measured myself and wrote it all down. I tracked all my food and I got on my treadmill. A good start for me. What are you doing to jump start your new approach?
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #2  

Oddly enough, was going to adjust my weight tracker and it is the same as stated here. At least I didn't have to move it up.
An exercise in my new book is:

"Make a list of any fears or negative behaviors that have hurt your weight loss success in the past. Read each one out loud, and then say "I used to be that way, but now I'm different".

By was that an eye opener for me.

Here is one thing that I examined:

I really USED TO order appetizers at restaurants and a second alcoholic beverage. Now, I have a salad with oil and vinegar and I never order a 2nd glass of wine or margarita.

I also wrote; I used to skip work outs as I'm just so busy. Now, I put my workout ahead of other things as I know I need to do this in order to acheive my goals.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck! Sounds like you have thr right attitude.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I needed this, coming off of a 9 day vacation of eating/drinking the whole time i had a physical yesterday, 12 hours after getting home from vaca which was my motivational start! I didn't want to know my weight and have not weighed myself but have committed to stop all drinking/eating out except one day a week (Saturdays) and start going back to the gym. I feel so sluggish and exhausted and told myself that after vacation no more bs! So here i am 1 day after vacation and ready to go! The past is the past (even though i was down a bit, i think i gained most back )
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

I'll join! I need a jump start. Winter was easier for me, minus the fact that I didn't exercise as much. Blah...

"Make a list of any fears or negative behaviors that have hurt your weight loss success in the past. Read each one out loud, and then say "I used to be that way, but now I'm different".

My bad habits and ways I need to fix them:
Binge Eating: Always keep fruit and veggies on hand for zero point snacks. Do groceries every week to have fresh fruit and veggies on hand as well as LOW point snacks and side dishes.

Stop Tracking Points/Lose Track of Points: Write EVERYTHING down. Every BLT (Bite, Lick and Taste). Even if I don't figure out the points for it right away, writing it down as I am eating will give me a clearer picture of what I am putting into my mouth.

Stop Exercising: Come up with an exercise plan and have workout DVDs on hand for rainy/snowy days. Make a list of alternate fitness plans to use if I get bored, need a change of pace or it's bad weather.

I used to be that way, but now I'm different!!

Derrydaughter: who is the author of that book?

Thanks for listening!

Last edited by MrsD2008; 08-16-2011 at 10:20 PM.
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #6  

Red face the book and feeling sluggish

I felt sluggish too, I like that word. Have done too much vacationing and not paid enough attention!
To answer the question asked, The book is called "100 Days of Weight Loss" by Linda Spangle.
http://www.weightlossjoy.com/
I put a link in but I do not know if it will come out here or not? I must emphasize, that you do not have to be using this book to be part of this thread, I just happen to be.

I was down, defeated, and needed a boost. Weight Watchers is a fabulous program but I was doing it halfway, I think. Taking it out and using it when it was convenient for me. At parties, on weekends away, at meetings, it was not convenient for me to exercise self control and truly practice this program.
This book gave an excuse list and it hit home with me. It talked about the proverbial someone bringing doughnuts into your office scenario. Everyone is eating the doughnuts and you don't want to be the one on the weight loss plan, do you? So, "just this once" you'll abandon your efforts and have that doughnut. Really? Isn't that a cop out? I haven't had that exact experience happen to me, but it hit home when I read about it. I'm that person. I need to take this more serious.
I went to Amazon and started looking for a book that would help me do this thing, the motivation I need. I like that this book invites you to keep a written journal of your emotions and feelings. Lots of WHY I eat is emotional. It's even fun emotions but it's all about feeling good and "in the moment". I need to be retrained.
Weight Watchers is truly great, it gives me the tools to work with, but my brain kind of short circuits and doesn't apply those tools in certain situations. Can this self examination book truly help me? Is it worth the $14.99 (a little more than one WW meeting in cost) I spent on it?
I'm on Day 3... so it's hard to know. But, I am willing to take the time and make this book work for me. I like it so far.

One of the exercises, for example, in this book:

(just picked an arbitrary day, day 83...)

In your journal, write about "poor me". Talk about any situations in which you feel deprived, abused, or singled out because of your dieting efforts.

Now, reverse the question and ask: "What does my weight deprive me of?". Make a list of all the things you miss out on because of your weight.

Measure this list against the time you might feel deprived around food, and then decide you'll work on changing your life so you can begin to enjoy things your currently missing.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #7  

Mrs. D, loved your response to the "what I used to be and what I am now" thing. Good job!

Here's only one exercise for today:

"In your diet or exercise plan, identify a task you don't feel like doing, then do it anyway".

For me, that will be sit ups. Hate them, boring...

So, will I do some today? Will I truly make it happen?

She comments afterwards: "Notice how it feels to accomplish a goal by taking a "no matter what" approach to it".

OK, I'd better go and get those sit ups done NOW.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

I think I actually own this book already! Will have to dig around in the bookshelf to make sure.

I had a good weigh-in today and I'm quite pleased but must admit that part of the reason was that I spent a good portion of the weekend extremely ill, unable to even keep down water. My husband thinks it was caused by the artificial crab that I ate and he didn't (he hates the stuff) but these occurrances are happening every few months and I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't another cause ... irritible bowel syndrome or something. Dunno, and no insurance and no $$ to go to doctor and have a bunch of tests run, so for now I will have to muddle along.

Anyway, it's a beautiful day today in the high desert. Must go grocery shopping this morning, then I can spend the afternoon in my sewing room, yippee! I do plan on going to the pool today and start exercising again.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

I'm right there with you, Linda. I'm starting over too and feeling better already!
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #10  

Default Welcome!

Ladynred and Stephanie, welcome! I'm glad we are in this together here. Having support is important.
I'm different this time. I think I've said that before, but I have a different kind of hope and certainty. Maybe this is the last straw thing for me. I've been angry at myself for blowing it.
I love how this book kind of stated it for me: Are you "interested" or "committed? Boy is there ever a difference.
Ladynred, I have had my share of tummy troubles too and have worked through it. My problem is diverticulosis and I have to be very very careful.
I'm sorry you are going through this.
One piece of advice if you keep having troubles is to try a low residue diet (look it up) for about a week or so and stop coffee and soda. It's amazing how you can irritate your system with coffee and soda. Tea seems to be OK for me. I have to keep away from nuts, seeds, popcorn and things like that. I love them, but I don't think I'll ever have them again.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #11  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Okay. I'm in. Will we get, perhaps, a weekly exercise? I'm going to answer the last you posted about a task you don't like.

Well, in my diet plan, it isn't particularly fun to cut up veggies for a salad and brown bag it every day to work. However, I find that I have an easier time sticking to ONE thing, until I'm over it, and right now, for daily lunches at work, I'm in a "greek salad" mode. I'm particular about greek salad, and it must have cucumber, lettuce, red pepper, radish and either scallion or onion, greek olives and, of course, feta cheese. If I do not have one of these ingredients, I can't have the salad--it just isn't the same.

Another thing I don't like, but I do it anyhow, is...I've begun food shopping again with hubby. I did it alone for years, and with our daughter when she was young, and I found it to be a drag. He offered to do the food shopping about 10 years ago, and I would only go for a special order, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter groceries or a party or barbque and the like. Since getting back to WW, I'm grocery shopping, because I have to.

Failure to plan is planning to fail. If I don't have these healthy foods around me, and prepare them daily, I'll have to make a different choice. I don't want my choices to be bad choices. So, I do what I don't want to do.

Next on the to do list: exercise. Ugh. LOL
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #12  

I really want to binge right now and I am just typing trying to keep myself sane WITHOUT binging... hubby isn't helping by pulling out pretzels and teasing me about strawberry diet coke from burger king........ he means no harm, honestly, but it kind of ticked me off!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #13  

Exclamation

No way! Your husband should be supporting you in this, not teasing you.

At any rate... here is a new philosophy for today. Have you ever blown it? You've eaten something you shouldn't eat. You are a perfectionist, right? This should be perfect and you are not perfect.
So, if you blow it, does it start a downward spiral, then you have this pity party and figure... "if I blew it for the day, I may as well continue this way and just eat what I want to eat". Does this happen for an entire week? Then, are you afraid to start over. What's the use?

Break each day and hour down. Do not punish yourself.
Accept that there are just going to be days when you are NOT PERFECT! Yes, you. Not perfect. You are human.

If you want that special food. Try an exercise. Write it down in a journal. Talk about it and what makes this food appealing. Then, write yourself a promise. Tell yourself that you will have that food, "some other time". You may choose to have it as a reward for losing 10 pounds, or on your birthday, or something. Know that it is not forbidden forever.

Then, go brush your teeth with nice tasting toothpaste, drink a cooling glass of ice water. Get busy and remind yourself that you have chosen not to have that food and all will be well. Picture yourself getting on that scale next week and smiling to yourself. You will smile as you remember that you didn't blow it and didn't have that thing. Was it so important after all? Sure, you will have it again, but you didn't need it and the reward you see on that scale is so much more satisfying than that silly one __________ was!

Then, reward yourself for CHOOSING, remember you choose here, not to have this food by giving yourself a postive treat of some kind that is not a food. A manicure? A bubble bath? Order up a new book for a treat that you've wanted but felt guilty about buying. Buy a new CD or music for your ipod! Then, put on the ipod and take a nice walk and listen to that music.

Last edited by derrydaughter; 08-18-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #14  

Chick said:

Failure to plan is planning to fail

So well said! Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #15  

He'd like me to point out that he tossed that bag of pretzels away. He did because they were stale, but he also didn't grab any other snacks. I'm thinking about eating a clementine and then brushing my teeth. Thanks for that tip!!