Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/273/150

Height: 5'7''

Default Fat chicks in retail?

I live in an area where the economy is especially bad. It has taken me 2 years to finally get a job. I'm going to be able to work part-time (good enough!) at a retail store, similar to Wal-Mart. I'm going to be a stocker...I'm still unsure about my job responsibilities beyond that.

But during the interview the person I was talking to kept talking about what a fast pace it is. She said it gets very hectic and I have to move very fast during those 8 hours.

So, now I'm not so excited about the job. I realize what I'm getting into. It's not a desk job and I didn't plan on slacking off or leisurely getting things done. I'll try my hardest.

But I don't know if I can sprint back and forth like some people can. I'm afraid I'm going to be huffing and puffing to keep up, and something embarrassing will happen. Either one of the teenagers I have to work with gets angry because I can't do my part, or I get reprimanded and fired. I'd have to explain to my family how I lost the job.

But, I haven't even started yet.

Do any of you ladies have good experience in retail? Or at least not terribly embarrassing experiences?

Thanks.
Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Congrats on finding work!! That's great.

You know, you might find yourself huffing and puffing a little at the beginning and you'll probably come home EXHAUSTED (and famished!) but the great thing about bodies is that they ADAPT. What is really difficult now will be no problem in a few weeks--you are going to be making fitness gains every time you go to work (how great is that!).

Definitely focus on the opportunity (health and fitness as well as $$$) that this job is giving you and try to push aside or let go of the thoughts that tell you you're going to fail. There is absolutely no good reason why you should fail so think positive!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

Good for you for finding that job! I've worked in a couple of places, the first I was on my feet all day rushing back and forth, which was tough at first but you soon get used to it! It was also tough knowing that I was the biggest person working there, but think of the money! Just do your very best and you'll find that as you go along, everything gets easier. Remember that you're on a weight loss journey too, so not only will it get easier the more you get used to the job, it'll get easier as you drop the pounds! You may struggle for the first few weeks but eventually you'll become comfortable with what you have to do and it'll only get easier over time.

Good luck!
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on finding a job! I think this could be a perfect opportunity for you to get in consistent exercise. I haven't worked in retail but I have worked in a grocery store and there were a number of people there of all shapes and sizes who eventually figured out how to keep up. Your body WILL adapt and it might be hard at first but you can do it! Good luck!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I worked at Target for 6 months during my senior year of undergrad - stocking shelves! I'm not sure how it is elsewhere, but it wasn't so bad at Target. A lot of lifting boxes, squatting, on your feet, etc... but you DO get used to it. And, you might break a sweat. But you just get done whatever you can get done - I doubt someone is going to tell you you're not doing a good enough job, if you are genuinely trying your hardest!
A bonus: several people I worked with at Target lost 10 pounds right off the bat from that type of work! Good luck!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/296/160

Height: 5'10

Way To GO!!!!

Okay here are my 2 cents. I weigh more than the other replys and am closer to your weight...

Last summer I worked for Macy's. It was really very hard AT FIRST. The thing that was the worst was feet...the floors are really very hard on your feet and back. Once I found shoes that improved everything 50%. Next was the heat. I was sooooo hot!! I was always sweating!! As my body got acclimated to the change in temperature it got better. I also invested in some of those really good paper towels and everyday I would take two and fold them up in my pocket. They work really good for absorbing sweat and not smearing it all over your face. And I am not sure what you will be doing, but DO NOT feel bad if you are a tab bit slower, or you need a 5 minute rest every once in a while. You do the BEST that you can do and if they aren't willing to accept that, then move to a different department or have them fire you...you will get unemployment. Oooo also if you feel like you need a tiny break, then just go to the bathroom. Stop and breath for a minute, splash your face with COLD water, and you will feel 10x better.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
sheshalesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

I worked in retail in college and just after. You will be tired. It's a long time to just stand up, much less stand up and move! As others have said, YOU WILL ADAPT! Get the very best shoes you can afford as they will save your life (if you can get New Balance shoes with the inserts, DO IT. Go to a discount place if you have to - they usually have the solid white, black, or whatever color you need).

Don't get discouraged, you will adapt much much much faster than you realize. In two weeks, you'll be shocked at how much easier it is.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Everyone will know you are new. I remember what a coworker said to me one day when I was new on a job. "Remember everyone has had a first day."
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/273/150

Height: 5'7''

Thanks so much everyone. I'm glad to see that people actually are able to adapt to it. I hope more than anything that I can. I'll keep telling myself that.
Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #10  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I worked for Target and there were a lot of overweight people doing all sorts of jobs. I agree with everything everyone has said. Look at this as paid exercise. I am actually thinking about applying to my neighborhood grocery stores for a bag attendant (I know they don't call them that anymore) just for paid exercise. I'm a bored housewife and kids are starting to school. Easy money and exercise what could be better, right?

Don't sweat it. Even on days you're running behind there are tons of people there to assist. I know. I was a cashier that closed the store and helped the stockers after hours. You'll do fine. Hey they hired you knowing what you looked like, if they had any worries well, I think it would've went the other way. They seem to think you're capable, so you too should feel that way.

Good luck with the new job!
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/265/155

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on landing a job! I know how hard it is in this day and time, so before you worry about what all it entails, do give yourself a moment to pat yourself on the back for that one. I'm sure plenty of other people (smaller people, at that) were going for the same position and YOU are the one who got it! There is a reason for that!

I myself have worked at a fast past convenience store for two years now, and I am definitely the biggest person there. I was the first employee hired when it was opened (it’s a family operation) and helped stock the whole place. My first few days were hard on me, only because it was much different movement than my other jobs, which have all required me to be pretty physical. I will 100% agree with the above post about SHOES! They change they whole game, but even with comfy shoes, you’ll ache after a long day of being on your feet. What helps me sometimes is having something to come home to that I’m looking forward to, as a relaxing treat. Maybe a book or movie that I REALLY want to get into, and if it’s a book, I crack it open in a tub full of hot water! I can now say that even though I am the biggest person there, I’m also the fastest and most adept cashier we have, so you will adapt to it! Yesterday I cleaned all the shelves and stocked the cooler twice while a smaller girl sat upfront and complained of a backache. Weak skinny people :P Good luck!
jess8all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #12  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

I have the 'cute' skinny girl at work, who can't be bothered to lift a mop, take the trash or even pick anything up cause she injured her shoulder. But boy let me tell you she can certainly stand at the register and tell you all about her day at Cheer! Most of us don't like her and the boys HATE her. She thinks she is gods gift to men and is always touching the boys or flirting or chatting with them rather then doing her job. So I usually have to work double time when she is around, but I look at it this way, She can stand at the register and take the orders, all that means is I am the one moving and shaking, working twice as hard to get her job done AND mine. I feel good about myself knowing I can run circles around the little girl and work twice as hard as she can while she sits at the register and complains about her little shoulder.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote