Old 10-23-2017, 03:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/170/120

Height: 5'3"

Default New here and need help / support

Hi Everyone,

I am new here but not new to attempting to lose weight. I have struggled with my weight / depression / low self esteem since childhood, and underwent a liposuction in 1998. I was doing ok until about 2012 when my son was diagnosed with autism. It worsened my depression and the stress caused me to gain 50 lbs in 5 months !

I have never been able to lose this weight permanently in the years since. I am now 170 lbs (at my worst, I was 180 lbs). I am lonely, unhappy and today realized that the "love of my life" actually has been playing me and no longer cares to be in my life. Well, that's when I realized I need help. I am at the lowest mood in a while but that has also motivated me to take charge and change.

As I am also diabetic, I am considering the ketogenic diet. If you have any experience with it, please share. I am not looking for a quick fix but at a healthy and safe way to lose and stay at a healthy weight.

TIA. Hoping today is the best day of my life, despite the horrible way it ended.
Victorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 151 /149 / 121

Height: 5' 3"

Hi there! Welcome! I just discovered this place yesterday for the first time myself and started yesterday on a new life of staying accountable to healthy eating. I don't know anything about the ketogenic diet, so others might chime in there.

I'm sorry about the love of your life. I am going through a divorce myself and right there with you on depression.

Things I do recommend: My Fitness Pal app for tracking all foods/calories and a fit bit also can sync up with it for exercise / walking / whatever you choose to do there.

A huge challenge for me is eating veggies and loving it.

But if I get that part in at lunch, it goes a long way for me during the day.

I found these recipes online for free. Google Give your Body 30 or Organfi, and dig around to find the recipe book that is free. I jar these salads from the salad section and layer them one ingredient on top of the other and seal the top (like a mason jar). They are simple to make, all fresh ingredients, and you can prep for the whole week.

One other BIG thing to prevent hunger that helps me.
Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

I take 3 tablespoons a day. It is horrible. But it gets rid of hunger pains.

You can put it in water with lemon and drink part of your portion in the morning and part at night. Has a million health benefits, really makes you feel more full (I'm amazed, it's like a wonder drug but all natural!) and helps your sweet tooth slowly decline.

Anyway, hope something here helps.

Glad you are here!
Cheers to your success!
Elle
ElleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #3  

Elle...Would any kind of apple cider work?
PopSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #4  

Victorie....

Ah, life! I'm sorry that you're having an awful time. One of the best things to help me on my bluest of days is walking. Fresh air, vitamin D from the sun, energizing, fat burning activity, strength training, endurance building and time to think about what and who is really good for you. And if you don't want to think, then listen to music or a podcast. No

Ive not done the ketogenic diet. I count calories. I eat what I want, but in moderation. I don't deprive myself, but am attempting to hold back on chocolate.

Again...I'm sorry about you going through a rough time. I am learning to go with what I know about myself or a situation...because if I go with how I feel, I will lose control. Wishing you better, amazing, successful days ahead!
PopSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #5  

PopSugar ---Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is the best. Not just because it is organic. Not just because it is that brand. But because of "the mother" part (on the bottle) that it contains. Basically, it is mainly the health benefits of the "pieces" floating around in this particular brand that the other brands leave out entirely.

Google that brand and you'll see why. Then just read up on the hundreds of health benefits. Amazing stuff.

I just added it back to my diet/lifestyle a couple days ago, and I'm like, why on earth did I ever quit? It is miracle juice for keeping hunger away and you fill full with less altogether. The pills do not work.....only the liquid, the real deal. I just started back 3 days ago really taking the reins and getting back to healthy lifestyle overall (weighing myself weekly for this board and just joined a couple days ago).

I was on the right path earlier this past summer where I lost 15 pounds in June/July by the end of July. In addition to eating right and working out at the time, I credit a lot of it to the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar as far as feeling fullness. Just an extra help. (I am usually never this up and down....divorce depression hit me hard in August, and I gained it all back and thensome....done with my downward tailspin, and here to stay on the right track!).
Old 10-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #6  

I wanted to stop back by here and recommend something....

This was very powerful to me.

The YMCA has always been about Mind, Body, Spirit. A guy named Scott, in the later 90s was going to a Nashville Y and sneaking in the back to play basketball. He had a lot of depression issues and a lot going on in his life that was a complete downhill spiral. Nonetheless, his outward appearance was healthy, and fit, and like he had it together. One day, one of the Y directors approached him about a job there....said stop sneaking in....why don't you work here? So he did. He became the Wellness Director at that Y. He was responsible for welcoming new folks, doing a brief test + interview to find out their goals and design a fitness plan that would start them out in a good direction of increasing their fitness. As he did this interview time...he realized a lot of people coming to the gym needed complete Mind, Body, Spirit just as their motto says. However, while he was addressing the Body in his assessments -----there was nothing the Y was doing for Mind and Spirit. Some had experienced a death of someone close to them, some work-a-holics, some grieving for something lost in their life, some just were facing regrets of not accomplishing what they wanted for their lives, some just too busy with the rat race to slow down a minute to understand why something might be off with their spirit. Some were dealing with aging parents. Or were older and taking care of their spouses. The Y was doing nothing to address Mind and Spirit. Through his own journey dealing with his depression, issues causing his depression and feeling isolated....he started a group called Restore. They met in the basement of the YMCA, and it started with 15 people. It was a small group where confidentiality was agreed upon, and exploration and discussion of the questions that got down to the heart of the core of each person and the issues they were dealing with, brought about a sense of community. The group grew so much, and Restore groups began at several other YMCAs in the area. Eventually, a publisher called him up to meet and after a series of meetings, wanted him to write a book....actually signed him on to write 5 books. Scott had some anxiety about writing this book....he is not a book-writer. He could not even type or sit still long enough to write a book. The publisher gave him a team. And a person in his Restore group came to him one day and said, "this group has done so much for my life....if there is anything ever that I can do for you, please let me know what it is." She was a bank teller. He said, "do you type?".....she would come in every morning at 5am before work to type away his book.

That book, Journey to Freedom, is now the core of what they use as the basis for the Restore Groups 8-week small group sessions which are now in YMCAs spreading in Tennessee and some cities throughout the U.S. It has been translated into several languages. And is now overseas in the Ukraine and Belize with plans for Kenya this year. It is also used in many prisons where volunteers have gone in to be in a small group community with prisoners ----one prisoner recently said after going through the small group "I am more free in here [his cell] than I have ever been outside of here." And after a test run, a hospital in Nashville is adopting it to use with their employees as well. I was at a dinner last week, where Scott Reall, the author, spoke, and one of the hospital directors also spoke about their experience. She said that two of her employees are promoting to positions in the hospital months after going through the group, that they would have never would have dreamed of before, due to personal things that were holding them back, that they uncovered in their small group session and over time, were able to work through them.

I cannot link it here as my permissions aren't there yet, but if you put Journey to Freedom in Google, it is the first entry that pops up. You can also buy it on Amazon. It is the first in a series of 5 books.

I am in a study small group with it right now, and Journey to Freedom is so powerful, and I have been in denial so long about some things that I didn't even realize....you can't hide from anything with this book. Through its' chapters, and questions at the end of each Chapter, it uncovers layers subconsciously that you did not even know were affecting you. And it helps you work through all of them.

You may be able to inquire about Journey to Freedom groups at your local Y or go to the Restore website to see if there is an offering near you. If not, the book itself is an amazing tool.

I wanted to write here to share about it, because so many including me are in a depression and while we need better eating/exercise routines in addition to some possible individual therapy etc....we also need to come out of isolation ----we need community...we need mind and spirit to be addressed, and this book and these groups are an excellent start.

Peace!

Last edited by ElleJ; 10-26-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #7  

The irony is that the time in a bad time when you should be taking care of yourself (body, mind and spirit) the most, is when it seems supremely difficult to

So sorry you are going through all of this. Do you exercise at all?
AnnaP427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #8  

I found some ground beef in the bottom of my deep freezer, so I think I'm going to make hamburgers this evening. I should be able to grill. We've had a bunch of rain lately due to Barry...not sure if it was considered a hurricane or a tropical storm...I just haven't been following the news much lately. I see sunshine this morning, so I'm hopeful that it has passed. It has been nice having a couple of cooler days due to cloud cover and rain though.

snaptube vidmate word to pdf

Last edited by amelbeabk; 09-11-2020 at 06:40 PM.
amelbeabk is offline   Reply With Quote