Another Obese 40-something

• Hey all! I'm new, 48 yrs old, and want to get my weight under control and be healthy by the time I'm 50. I figure I can do this in a 2yr period if I take my time and eat right, exercise, etc. I'm 215lbs now.
  • You could definitely do it in 2 years. I started my most recent weight loss journey in May 2016 at 205. I am 140 now with a goal to lose 5 more and then assess if I need to go lower. I'm 44, so likely have some of the same hormonal challenges etc. as I'm in perimenopause. You can do this! Fabulous Fifty, here you come!
  • I'm near 48 myself. I believeit can be done. You have the right attitude. Changing behavior and patience, both in yourself and with the calendar. I know you can do it. A step at time and we both will the fabulous and fifty women in a couple years!
  • And I've decided this time to give up being so strict with carbs as well! I did Atkins/lowcarb in the past and it did work but I don't want to restrict my carbs anymore. I'm going to try eating "good" carbs instead of cake, pie, white bread, etc. I'm really excited about this!!
  • Hi Fathippie, and welcome. I'm 47, and getting it together before I turn 50 is my goal also.

I had to laugh at your thread title. I remember enrolling at Sparkpeople and it seemed to me the 40 something women with more than 50lbs to lose was the largest group.
  • Tortie: Aren't the women of our grp still the majority?
  • Doesn't it seem so much harder losing weight now than even just 10 yrs ago????
  • I am 46 and 5 years ago, I lost 60lbs and gained it back and it seems harder this time around even after just 5 years.
  • I'll be 42 in a couple weeks and I have lost 30 lbs in the last 6 months or so doing low carb, moderate protein and moderate fats. I'm stalled out so I need to tweak something but I definitely agree the weight wants to hang on tighter with every year I age