Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #1  

Default where to start!

46 yrs old now and the weight doesn't come off..Used to be just cut back on what I am eating and exercise and the pounds come off, not anymore. I have been on so many diets over the years, don't want to run out and buy a bunch of tasteless foods and hear complaints from my family. Don't know where to start. Still have priorities from work and family,can't give as much time as I have in the past. Get tired more easily and have a lot more aches and pains then I used to. Exercise hurts but I can do some. Had a fitbit but I can't find it now. Suggestions? Need something realistic, the DASH diet perhaps. I can do more fruits and veggies.
wendlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/174/155

Height: 5'6"

Hey Wendlan,I live in Pleasantville Pa.
Need to try weight training,you can sit on your couch and lift,start with 5lbs at first.I don't believ in andy fad diets,just calorie counting and exercise. I love myfitnesspal app.You can put in your height and weight and your goal weight and it will tell you how many calories you can have a day. Good luck
merowi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Hi Wendlan!

I think the key is just to start - anywhere! I started with some Zumba DVDs in the privacy of my own home and after a few weeks of that, the weight started coming off, so I joined Weight Watchers online to start dealing with portion control and eating habits. Once I got the hang of that, I then joined the YMCA and started taking Zumba classes with others, and a lot of other classes. I made some really great friends and found a lot of other activities I enjoyed.

I also read a lot of the books recommended here on 3FC, anything to support my goals and change of lifestyle - I would read!

For me, the key really was trying new things to combat boredom, as I know I get bored very easily. I have to try new recipes, new techniques (I even took a meditation class at the Buddhist Center), new exercises/classes and weight loss "systems" (mainly WW online, WW meetings and MyFitnessPal).

It all started with getting on a scale about 4 months before I turned 40 and realizing that I could not continue living the way I'd been living. I felt like I'd wasted my 30s and it just wasn't acceptable to also waste my 40s.

Good luck to you!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #4  

Jessica Smith has a Youtube channel with tons of free workouts. Most are low-impact, many are beginner level, and there are ones as short as five minutes. Try some of those to get you going.
Sassyinkpen is offline   Reply With Quote