Old 07-20-2015, 02:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/138

Height: 5'5"

Default menopause battles....

Due to surgery, I have gone through menopause. I have chosen not to use hormone therapy, but do take a low dose of an antidepressant to help with mood swings. I am also diabetic and am using Sugar Busters with a 'clean eating' approach. Any suggestions?
LRAQUILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I have nothing useful to suggest, I just wanted to send my sympathy. Perimenopause has been wrecking havoc on my everything so I feel like I have a tiny sense of what you're going through. My doctor has recommended a bilateral oophorectomy or possible a hysterectomy for me, due to some problems I'm having, and if I go that route I'll be in the same boat as you (though I'm probably older [I'm 47], and appear headed into menopause anyway, so it is different, I know).

My mother had ovarian cancer and after surgery did choose to do HRT. She still takes estrogen now, in her 70s, because life without at least a little bit of estrogen turned out to be too miserable. For her, it is a tradeoff for sure.

Anyway, just wanted to say hang in there, I know it's tough. I wish I had some good advice to offer, but all I've got is this virtual hug! <<<hug>>>
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/188/138

Height: 5'5"

Actually, I am a year older than you. I had a hysterectomy (uterus only) about 10 years ago and an oophrectomy about 5 years ago. In so many ways I feel better, but did have to adjust to the hormone therapy and then the lack of it when it was not a good fit for me. Thanks for the virtual hug!! It's really not so bad, except for the challenge of weight loss (a combination of hormonal stuff and diabetes).
LRAQUILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/205/120

Height: 5'6"

Default Things to think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRAQUILA View Post
Due to surgery, I have gone through menopause. I have chosen not to use hormone therapy, but do take a low dose of an antidepressant to help with mood swings. I am also diabetic and am using Sugar Busters with a 'clean eating' approach. Any suggestions?

I am BRCA+ (Angelina Jolie thing). I found out by getting cancer in 2006. So I've been menopausal since 2007 when they took the ovaries and tubes out. I can't have HRT. I'd say: 1). Start Rogaine now (ask doctor) 2). Weight bearing regular exercise. 3). Eat a plant based diet but include lean proteins.
Batampte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/174/155

Height: 5'6"

In menopause since age 38,now am 43, I would try lots of strength training
merowi2 is offline   Reply With Quote