Old 01-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

This has been a great discussion to follow--thanks everyone. I see so much sense in everyone's reasoning.

Magicsusan, it might be worthwhile to get a regular scale. If you are anything like me, being daily accountable is the "best" way to STAY accountable. I notice that if I'm not weighing, I'm not "behaving" how I should. It's too bad my behaviour is so tied to that number, but I guess it is what it is.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 223/200/145

Height: 5'7"

This has been a really good post to follow! I went from once a week to every day also just because I saw the same slipping that others have said too. Plus, like I mentioned in my bio, my son is a wrestler and is trying to maintain 106 lbs and he is obsessed with the scale and literally can tell me how much every thing that goes into his mouth weighs. This tends to make me super aware of things that I eat and what foods make me heavier on the scale. I'm not sure that this is healthy behavior...however it does seem to help with backsliding!
jbaasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #18  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Once a week. Any more than that and I become obsessed, and I have enough in my life to obsess about
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #19  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyBean View Post
I notice that if I'm not weighing, I'm not "behaving" how I should.
This is exactly why I weigh daily. It keeps me in check and if I see I'm gaining I can do my best to fix it before it escalates. However there is a downside to this... For me anyway. If I stay the same or go up and down several days in a row (like I have for more than a week now) when I know my calories and carbs have been under the limit I get depressed, frustrated and upset with myself.

Last edited by Jesslan Rose; 01-21-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #20  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I weigh daily - first thing in the morning, in the buff and after I have gone potty.
I only record my weight once a week on Friday's.
When I am not weighing on a regular basis, than I am not truly following my plan and the scale is on an upward move. I try fooling myself that its not that bad in I am in this mode. This is what caused my 30lb regain so I am on the scale each morning - good or bad.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/190

Once a week. I become psychotic and obsessive over every 0.1 pound gained or lost. I also can't count calories for this reason. If I should be seeing results and I'm not it starts to freak me out beyond reason.
Freya0991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #22  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

^Word.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

First thing in the morning when i wake and gone to the bathroom.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #24  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

I weigh daily, first thing in the morning. I record those weights, but compute a weekly average for tracking. I deal with process data for a living and consider weight loss/maintenance just another process - the day-to-day stuff is not as relevant as a trend over time. There's enough variation in life that if I were to pay attention to the daily point fluctuations, I'd drive myself crazy.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #25  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 179/179/159

Just one I think I am the only crazy person nekkid in my bathroom every morning - BAM! Here it is! I have found that when I am not on a downward trend - I tend to ignore the scale. HHHMMMM, correlation maybe?

Once I reach goal (very soon now) I am hoping to get to a once a month nekkid weigh-in (but I may start out with weekly so I don't get crazy with the wondering!)
irishAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #26  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I guess I'm crazy - I weigh every d@mn time I'm in the bathroom with my scale. Naked, clothed, half naked, etc. Doesn't really matter.

I only track the first thing in the AM after I've voided number inside of a spreadsheet with graphs and stuff.

I will say, I don't put too much stock in the random throughout the day weigh ins, but I always find it interesting as to what will make me randomly gain 5lbs throughout the day. I also find it amusing to guess what the next morning's number will be based on my WI before bed.

Last edited by SoMuchFattitude; 01-26-2015 at 02:07 PM.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #27  

Height: 5'4"

I am weighing myself only once a week. In the past, when I felt I was doing well and I would weigh myself, if I hadn't lost weight, it would discourage me and make me much more likely to cheat. So far (2 weeks in) I have lost both weeks and it is motivating me to continue on my path. It's early, and I have a long way to go, but I don't think I will change my mind about it.
janby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:34 AM   #28  

I guess I personally am doing it everyday. long ago I perfected the scale dance... only it became out of control. Now I am back to stepping ont he scale daily. Usually the same morning, post potty, pre clothing.
TIAxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #29  
Hot Chick

S/C/G: 225/218/160

Height: 5' 6½"

I know I'm a bit late to this discussion but this is something I have struggled with for years. I have been on a yo-yo gain/regain cycle for about 6 years and really trying hard to break it.

When I started losing weight seriously back in 2009, I weighed weekly because I felt that weighing in more frequently could be depressing with daily weight fluctuations etc, and the general consensus in the fitness community was that weighing in more frequently could be misleading and counterproductive. However, I found that this (weekly weigh ins) only worked when I was consistent and gung-ho in the beginning (i.e. first 6 weeks or so of healthy eating and exercise), because I was losing rapidly. But when I started to become complacent because I had a bit of success or wasn't able to stick to my nutrition/fitness plan (another habit/tendency I am trying to work on breaking), I started to skip my weekly weigh ins because I couldn't face the number I would see (which would usually verify that I wasn't doing what I should have been or set out to do). I did this once during 2009 and found I re-gained nearly 7lb that I had lost [blogged about this in my 3fc blog http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs...reality-check/

Eventually, this became a slippery slope, like many previous posters have identified. By January 2012, I was pretty much back to the weight I started at in January 2009. Unfortunately, I attach so much *weight* (no pun intended) to the number on the scale that it can, will and has set the tone for my entire week and dictate my level of self esteem. Part of what I am currently working through is how NOT to be completely and utterly debilitated by that number, but instead how to use the number on the scale as (1) motivation and (2) a tool to encourage consistency in living a healthy lifestyle and being a healthy weight. Major work in progress.

Now (since 17 March 2015), I weigh in daily or at least every other day - 1st thing in the morning (after using the facilities) and definitely "starkers" as one previous poster has most eloquently said This helps to keep me honest and a bit more focused.

This having been said, I have not weighed myself since 30 March due to some slip ups (late night eating is probably my *major* demon) and TOM, so I am gearing myself up for a weigh in this coming Saturday morning.

My ultimate goal is ~155-160lbs. My highest weight was 225, and at my last weigh in on 30 March I was 218. I would really like to be under 210 by the end of April.

I have purchased some size 14 clothes (I am currently a size 16+) which I am really hoping I will fit into once I am <210 or so. Hence my anxiety!

Wish me luck

Last edited by UKbarristerchick; 04-09-2015 at 11:38 AM.
UKbarristerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #30  
05/01/2023

S/C/G: 232.6/232.6/150

Height: 5'6"

Like a lot of you, I weigh myself daily - in the morning, stark naked, after I have used the toilet. I record my weight in a daily weigh-in thread posted here. I only change my signature/profile weight once a week and it's always on Monday. Monday is my "official" weigh-in day. The numbers during the week help motivate me and help keep my on track. Plus, if I'm up on Monday but I was down the rest of the week, then I know it's just a little blimp and nothing to worry about. A few years ago, I would only weigh myself once a week and if I gained one week, that would be the end of the diet because I felt like the hard work I did that week was for nothing and there was no point in continuing. By weighing daily, I can see if it is just a one day thing or if it is a multiple day upward trend so I know if/when I need to make changes to the diet and/or exercise routine. I feel more in control this way.

Good luck, UKbarristerchick!!

Last edited by AllyG47; 04-09-2015 at 11:56 AM.
AllyG47 is offline   Reply With Quote