3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 40-Somethings

Going vegan - and expelling waste

Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #1

Height: 5'5"

Default Going vegan - and expelling waste

I chose to post in the 40-somethings to hopefully attract the attention of Mrs. Snark because I know she's vegan, but would love to hear thoughts/experiences from anyone else. Warning, though. It has much discussion of poop.

I am not a vegan, but I used to be. I have decided to adopt a primarily-vegan diet, though, and to eat almost exclusively unprocessed plant foods. So, in the past three days, I have significantly increased my consumption of plant foods, including: cucumbers, Romaine lettuce, spinach, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and kiwi. I also have added cooked plant foods, including white potatoes and steel-cut oatmeal.

My body is expelling a LOT of waste. Thursday was my first day on this WOE, and by Friday, my fecal output was on the upswing. Let me be clear, though. I have never had constipation, and in the time since I have been calorie-restricting, I have been pooping virtually ever time I pee, though in fairly small quantities (which makes sense, given the calorie restriction). The expulsion has increased since going primarily vegan, and today, the volume has really soared. I not only poop almost every time I pee (which is a lot, because I drink a lot of water), but the volume is surprising. I don't know why. Yesterday was an excessively low-calorie day because of a restaurant snafu, and I have only eaten some potatoes and blueberries today.

Can this be normal? More importantly, will it subside? I am actually feeling pretty good about it, since it is not loose stools, so it was clearly stuff that needed removed. But it's becoming quite annoying, and I'm hoping to be done with it soon.

Trainer boy challenge (07/11-09/11):
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #2

S/C/G: 200/204/150

Height: 5'9

Do you wash your veggies first before consuming them? I started drinking spinach smoothies as Cosco has a special on the HUGE pouches of leafy spinach.

So I decided to use this all up, as not to waste it all. I wash my veggies very carefully b4 I prep them.

I have also felt wonderfully light since using my smoothy maker machine. This spinach is just wonderful, even raw. I will probably steam some as well and have it with my Jasmine rice too.

I would definitely wash all the veggies 1st. That reaction might be partly due to not completely rinsing the veggies well enough. It sounds like ,"A touch of the flu." Do you drink plenty of fluids too?

If it keeps up, you might ask your medical professional if he/she/they,?, could check you out to make sure you don't have Eboli or someting like the flu?

I bet you lost about 5 lbs of water already, ha???

1Bluerose68

Last edited by 1Bluerose68 : 08-17-2014 at 07:47 PM.
1Bluerose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/166.7/135

Height: 5'5"

I would venture to guess, all of that fiber is causing more movement. Either your body is going to adjust and you won't expel as much over time, or this will be the new normal. I was told once that healthy people "go" a lot more frequently than even once a day. That's not a bad thing, really, getting rid of waste so quickly. I'm thinking that adding more vegetables sounds really good!

"Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard."

Total Goal Weight:

I weigh myself every day. It keeps me accountable.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/see blog/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Hey there! I think all this pooping will subside into a more regular pattern -- how is it going now since you wrote this post a while ago?

I poopie once a day, right after coffee in the morning if that tells you anything.

If you google "vegan poop" who will read more about pooping than you EVER wanted to, lol.

Congrats on going vegan!

Progress Photos | Weekly Weight Loss | My Battle With Weight in Photos
My Blog: Mrs. Snark @ Bliss-a-go-go! (warning: I'm weird.)

Last edited by Mrs Snark : 08-18-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.