Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #1  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Facial wrinkles question

Hi everyone!

I'd like to ask the ladies (and even gents) in my age group about if they are seeing more facial wrinkles appear as they lose weight. I would also like some advice on how to minimize these, if possible, and I'd also like to hear any encouragement for aging gracefully no matter what one's face looks like. I have never had a skincare regimen. Basically my skincare regimen is that I am a redhead who has throughout life totally avoided the sun (and even the outdoors, lol,) plus I have never smoked. That's about it.

Crows feet started appearing when I lost about 30 lbs, and I find I'm not so bothered with those, but what's distressing me is the recent appearance of marked smile lines (I have lost just over 60 lbs so far.) I'm averaging just a bit over 2 lbs per week loss. I am nowhere near goal weight; in fact, I'm still in the Obese Lvl I category of the BMI scale. My goal weight, which is an "overweight" number of 175 lbs., is still another 38 lbs. away!

Such a silly concern in the grand scheme of pursuit of better health, but it still bothers me It's somewhat startling to see a different face in the mirror from the one I saw a few months ago. Obesity was obviously masking some of the normal aging of my face, but I am aware that part of it is certainly skin losing it's elasticity combined with a less chubby face.

Thank you for any feedback; it's greatly appreciated.
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I feel like I started to see more wrinkles after weight loss too. The difference is not dramatic though and doesn't really bother me. The new body is well worth a few more wrinkles and I think my face is more attractive without a double chin. I think you'll be happy in the end.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #3  

I'll let you know about the wrinkles when I lose the weight

But as for a skin care regime it doesn't even have to be a lot or expensive, you're certainly off to a great start by avoiding the sun and not smoking and you can add to that by using a cleanser and moisturiser morning and night. Make sure you select products that are for your skin type eg dry skin, oily skin, combination skin etc A night moisture is better to use at night than a day time one but if funds don't allow for that then a day time one is better than nothing.

An exfoliator used weekly is also a good addition to the regime as it removes all the dead skin cells and you are likely to see a difference the first time you use it if it isn't something you regularly do.

If you want to use hydrating face masks they are always nice but I wouldn't call them necessary (I like them though) as are the eye moisturisers etc

But most importantly your skin needs a healthy diet, lots of water and plenty of sleep to really glow!

Oh and good genetics will help there also..
Bindii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Honestly, yeah, I look older (click my profile pic if you haven't). I think the way to grow old gracefully is to accept what you've got and work to make the most of it. Own it!

My take on life is that I'm alive, I'm healthy, my husband and children are healthy, each day with them is a gift. We have significant cancer history in my family and I've gone to great lengths to minimize my risk. Shootings happen at school, and even in the bucolic and privileged area where we live, my son was evacuated one day this month. Worrying about my wrinkles, while I'll admit sometimes happens, gets pushed to the bottom.

Not meant as a rant, just my honest perspective.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 156/157/142

Height: 5"4'

I have a funny and wise cousin who is 4 years older than I am. A few years ago she said on this subject "As we age, we have to choose are bottoms or our face." ( She looks great for her age, she is a bigger women, clearly choosing the chubby face over the shapely bottom)

I choose differently( I lost 30 lbs before joining 3FC). Yaa, honestly, losing weight has made me look older, but I have more energy and feel a lot better. So I accept this trade-off.

Last edited by junem; 10-31-2013 at 10:14 AM.
junem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Oh yes, I'm seeing the wrinkles now.

I never had a skin care routine, so I have no practical advice on making them better. You sound like you're already ahead of the game by not having tanned. I grew up on the beaches of Florida, the damage for me is done.

I'm working on the mental aspects of aging gracefully. I think that will be the best beauty routine -- if I can own who I am, wrinkles and all, my inner cute will shine through. Right?
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/278/180

Height: 5'8"

I'm also seeing more wrinkles but I'm being told the more I lose the younger I look. For me a few wrinkles look lots better than fat cheeks and extra chins.
Only Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I definitely have more wrinkles, but I think my overall appearance looks younger with my slimmer form. I have had so many people tell me that I took years off of my appearance when I first lost the weight. I guess the wrinkles you have to look closer to find, but the body is more obvious. From my perspective thin and fit=younger appearance, despite any resulting wrinkles.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #9  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Thank you all so much for your replies! My favorite part about them was the sincerity and "straight shooting." I'm definitely taking all the advice and comments to heart. I had forgotten, but I've had two friends refer to me as "turning back the clock" as I lose weight. I do believe I am carrying myself in a more youthful fashion because I have a body that is 60 lbs lighter. This goes hand in hand with what some of you mentioned! There certainly is more to me than smile lines on my face, which is such a small contributor to the overall impression I give people. Also, it's of no importance in the grand scheme of things, and not worth the worry for sure. Great reality check.

I also spent the last couple of days looking at women about my age as I was out and about or at work. Amazingly, I am realizing we don't look eternally 30 Even so, we can certainly be a healthy and attractive bunch. I noted my friends at work my age definitely had smile lines, crows feet, etc., but I had totally never paid attention to them. Bottom line: I'm normal, lol.

Finding my peers is a bit disconcerting at times - Even though I am almost 50, I have children in elementary school. Literally almost all the other moms at school functions, activities, and playdates are 10-15 years younger than me ><. I think I sometimes forget my true physical age.
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

TooWicky--You look amazing for someone nearing 50! I was shocked to read that!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

You look great. There are some things in life that we can change and some that we can't. If losing weight makes us feel better and be healthier then that is the trade off for a few wrinkles. We are all going to get them in the long run, it's unavoidable. The best thing you can do is to live a healthy life and use good skin care.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I lost a lot and I admit I had that super creepy "lost a ton of weight face" where something looks really OFF lol

it took about a year or so maintaining that weight before everything kind of settled, but I definitely look older than when I had chubby cheeks smoothing every wrinkle out
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #13  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I love my smile lines, so much better to have than frown lines...

I feel like I've earned every wrinkle and gray hair, and when my face feels like it needs to look younger it graces me with a teenage pimple, lol...

Like Trazey I was going to say that things kind of settle in and where my skin sags a bit it seems to firm up, thank goodness for elasticity.

Toowicky, you look great, my brother is kind of in the same boat as you with the kids, he'll be 50 next year and has 3 year old twin boys...God bless them...they'll keep you moving, for sure!

kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 245/205/155

Height: 5'5

TooWicky....I also thought you were in your early 30's. You look very young and healthy.
Psav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #15  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

I am a yo-yo-er so I can say I have been skinny (yes, skinny) several times in the past twenty years. The past few times, when I lose weight I can see more age in my face. However, it is more than compensated by my rockin' new body!

This time around I am letting some gray hair show between my highlights and lowlights so I will definitely look older. BUt that's OK. Older is wiser, right? And, darn it, THIS time I will KEEP the weight off.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote