40-Somethings January 2014 Chat

You're on Page 7 of 9
Go to
  • Welcome back sept2012! I am so sorry about your father!
    Sounds like that you are taking steps towards right direction what comes to your health. Good luck giving up the smokes. You will feel so much better once you do. I am gluten free (Ceiliac), and I must say it has become really easy to go GF. I barely eat GF products because they are loaded with high calories and many other junk flours. So be careful there.
    Looking forward to getting to know you.
  • Thanks Sum! I have been lurking around for a while. So weird but I felt embarassed to post again after gaining my weight back ---- you guys don't even know me so I don't know what I had to be embarassed about but that is also obviously one of my demons. I need to say it outloud... do it outloud and be it outloud and stop pussy-footing around.

I look forward to spending time with you all and getting to know what makes us all tick!
  • sept2012, welcome back I don't remember you, as I am relatively new-ish to 3FC myself, but it's very nice to "meet" you. Condolences on the loss of your dad. I lost mine some years back, then a year later my only sister, and a year later my mom, all unexpected passings. The grief was so painful, and I was so traumatized by the losses, I was more concerned about making it through each day rather than what I was eating or not eating. I was obese before, certainly, but I became morbidly obese while grieving for a handful of years. I am so proud of you for being ready to face life and take care of yourself! You lost the weight before, so you already know you can do this. It took me so long to be ready to face the world again. I feel like I lost years. I am so happy you are "back." Sounds like you are making some excellent lifestyle and diet choices; best of luck to you

Sum38, I did, in fact, take my measurements for the first time ever this morning! They were a lot higher than I was expecting and I'm trying not to be a little demoralized by it. The upside of the numbers is that I go in at the waist, which is a big improvement for someone with an apple shape. Downside is, even though the numbers look like I am balanced, the hips number represents a weird spare tire situation >< Hopefully the spare tire will erm abate as I continue to lose weight, but that will leave me not so balanced looking for sure. I am 46/39/45. I feel huge compared to y'all!
  • You will be glad that you took your measurements TooWicky. Sometimes when the scale does not show movement, my measurements still go down and I draw strength from it. Actually last week was one of those weeks for me. Scale was up but measurements were down, and then my whoosh happened

sept2012 I am glad you are back to posting I have gained and regained my weight million and one times. Somehow I have stayed here, active... I guess it kept me from going totally over board. The challenges and accountability seem to help me. Join us on the Valentine's Day and Accountability thread. Many of us post their daily meals...keeps me from snacking when I know I have to write down what I ate and publish them to the world

More snow for us. This winter has truly been a real winter for us. I have loved it. I am a winter girl! I do like the other seasons as well, but I don't really mind the cold. Must be because I grew up in Finland in that cold and snow.

So off to my walk I go. It will be peaceful; falling snow and not that cold (21F; yay a heat wave).
  • Hey Ya'll

Actually kind of excited today. I have lived in Atlanta for 3 years now and the weather forcasters are usually off as far *** accurate weather goes… hahahaha we have all these crazy warnings for tornados and such and nothing ever happens here (not that I want a tornado but you know what I mean). At any rate it is supposed to snow an actual inch in metro Atlanta today. That is exciting to me! I love the snow...yes I have lived in it (in Boston) and I love it.

So yesterday was kind of a bummer I felt like a complete "addict" as I could not log into the site to post, or comment on any other posts and I could not update any stats. Finally they got my password fixed and I feel relieved to be "Back". One thing I saw (not being logged in) was som FALSE advertising and it totally bummed me out. Have any of you seen an advertisement for Dr. Oz Miracle Drug... something like “Dont Ever diet again --- just take this and you will look like him” ??? There was a picture of a guy. He is a Trainer. The Fat to Fit guy that gained like 70 lbs in 6 months and then lost it again so he could experience what it was like to be overweight. Now I am so disappointed because either Dr Oz is a douch or this guy is a douch for letting his pictures appear with this crazy link. I don't know what to believe as I watched his documentary and appreciated what he did on the other hand I love Dr Oz too..... Advertisement is the devil!

On another note the owner of my company just made my diet life so much easier. He has decided to cater both breakfast and lunch from here on out. Let me tell you how much pressure it takes off knowing all you have to do is show up to work and you have healthy choices for the two meals a day you spend in the office. Granted I am on a no wheat and no gluten diet so that means no flour, no binders, no sugar BUT the good news is there is an egg station for breakfast with some good yogurt choices and for lunch if I can’t eat what they have for the main meal at least I can have a FANATASIC fresh salad. Kudos to the owner of my company – finally a perk that EVERYONE can appreciate!

Sum – I am going to join the 1000 miles in 2014 challenge starting feb 1st. I am a runner at heart and my goal is to be a runner again by year end. I am going to purchase the nike fuel band as I already use their app for walking and tracking my miles and I love it.

TooWicky – thanks for the kind words and I am sorry about all of your loss as well. I feel like time does help, but I will never forget the love he gave me and I can still feel him and smell him sometimes so that is comforting. Its funny I will be sitting in my office and I get a wiff of his cologne and just say “Hi Dad” and then smile and go on about my day.

Have a great day!

Joy
  • Welcome back sept2012: sorry on the loss of your dad. I lost mine at 19. I feel your pain on the stress eating. I managed to control my stress when my mother passed away in May and continued losing weight mostly because she wanted me to so much. Gained a little on vacation started getting control again and my mother in law came home on hospice. The combined my stress and watching my husbands stress made for a bad December. I put on 15 lbs. now I have some good days and bad days I think I can get control if I get below 210. Good for you quitting smoking. Your heart and lungs will thank you. I often think about gluten free. Haven't committed yet.

Sum: lol on the heat wave. You are inspiring me to measure myself. So far today 6000 steps going to go for a walk run in a few. I bought a mask to help with the cold.

Too wicky: I will measure tonight I think we may be close in size.

Fatabbi: your doing great

Marlene: hide the animal crackers at work. I keep a treat stash for me to have with my tea in the afternoon. I like the the kids have to buy the junk. I have gone to buying only 100 calorie snacks. My husband however lets the kids have whatever. Hopefully his labwork shows his his need to lose. He is 297 last check.

Mrs snark: wishing I was in Florida now.

Heidi: how is the job going? I am assuming keeping you busy since no posts.

Zumbachica: I thought of you when I did Zumba core on my ds xbox. Not a pretty picture.

Mezmerelda: hope you made it to BVI.

Hi to anyone I missed.
  • Sept2012 - I am not a fan of Dr. Oz. My personal feeling is that he promotes alot of quackery. Waaaay too much quackery.
  • No gluten, no wheat, no fast food..... day 27 now (one El Pollo Loco trip 3 weeks ago), but so far so good. For about 10 days now I have tracked my calories, carbs, protein and fats. I have found I eat between 850-1330 calories a day, not bad. I feel good, fighting a chest cold but foodwise life is great. I hope it continues. I feel like this last 50lbs is 100x worse than the first 79. UGH. But I can do it. I will do it!!! aaahhhhh
  • FatAbbie - You go girl! and change your name from FatAbbi to SlimAbbi the power of intention!!!

Michelle - I know about Dr Oz, but its a pick and choose thing for me. Somethings I am like yea... that is right and others not so much but that picture I talked about was false adverstisitng somewhere
  • I am a total slave of my scale...but how is this possible.... I was 141.8 pounds this am. I had some water and tea through out the day. Maybe 24 oz of water and 16 oz of tea. Say 2.5 pounds worth liquid. I went pee a few times. Total weight with my liquid should come to 144.5 minus pee. I was freaking 146 pounds when I got home. -- Each time I go to FCA I gain "weight". Is it the sitting I do all day long? But where did the extra 1.5 come from?? Isn't it mathematically impossible.

No, I had nothing to eat all day. I was not hungry this morning and then I got so busy at the center that I had no time to eat.

Frustrating.
  • Are you a Breatharian? Maybe you are gaining weight from the air that you breathe? lol

Our bodies are so weird. Shouldn't even be physically possible, as you say. Just weird. Don't let it get you down. What counts is the overall trend over time. Over a long period of time. Months.

Now I need to remember that I just said that when I get on the scale again tomorrow morning.

Also, Note To Self: never weigh myself in the afternoon or even in the morning after drinking fluids.
  • Sum -- think of yourself as a sponge, able to absorb liquid from the air around you.

There. Does that help?
  • Sum, the scale does this to me when I'm stabilising after a bigger than usual loss. Not so much this time as I've not really whooshed but after the last baby I'd have a big loss then be all over the place for a few days afterwards. Overall though the downward trend continued.

I haven't weighed since last Friday but I'm looking forward to it- pretty sure I've lost.
  • All I have to say is... what a shame.... I am in ATL amongst all of the BS that has happened in the last few days with Snow and Ice. Its sad we live in 2014 and a whole city can be brought to its knees and shut down by a few inches of snow. I have never seen such insanity in my life! SPEECHLESS. Thankfully I live .8 miles from work and I walked in yesterday. Sucky thing is between TOM and walking I gained 3.1 lbs with no change in my eating! That too is insanity!
  • Sept2012, I lived in Atlanta for some years after college. I do not miss the traffic at all, and that's without any snow to speak of! It must be a sight to see to witness people actually walking. That's the most car-centric city I've ever lived in. People will drive two blocks rather than walk it, lol. Disclaimer: I am one of those people.

I am on day 5 of no soda. I don't drink a whole lot of it anyway, but I recently went through a spell where I was consuming more than my usual ½-1 can a day. I have been drinking almost exclusively water, with the exception of one partial glass of Powerade Zero. I'm just trying it out. I can report that I do feel better on water only, plus my facial skin looks better. I can tell I was leaning on the diet soda as my "sweet" for the day, which I miss. Speaking of sweets, my daughter is in Girl Scouts for the first time this year. It's cookie sales time! Not ideal for the dieter to say the least. I just helped her sort 80 boxes