Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/188/140

Height: 5'1"

Default There's Chocolate In The House!

Three things happened today.

1. I cheated at Starbucks - Grande Chai Latte & Lemon Rasberry Loaf
2. My husband came home - he works away for a month then is home for two weeks.
3. He brought home a king-size Dairy Milk for me...

It really doesn't matter how many times I tell to please not bring chocolate into the house, he always does. He says "well you eat it"...Of course I do, I'm an addict!! And then I get "why do you need to lose weight, I like you the way you are".
Can anyone help with suggestions on how to deal with this? For now I have not touched the chocolate, but it sure is calling my name.
crbcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

Well, as much as you want to blame your husband, you can only do this if you hold YOU accountable for everything. There will always be temptations. This is an opportunity to exercise your self control! Save it for another day.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #3  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

I completely understand your struggle and I am certainly no expert on controlling myself especially when it involves chocolate. I am guilty of constantly giving into temptation and have lost and gained the same 50 lbs. over the past years.

The only thing I can suggest is:

1. Forget about Starbucks. What is done is done. Just move forward and try to plan ahead to avoid being tempted in the future.

2. If you can bring yourself to do it, take the chocolate and throw it into the garbage can or give it to someone else who is not in the house. Then you won't have to think about it any more.

I have spent a lifetime being overweight and regretting giving into goodies.
I am starting over again and I am trying my best to remember that losing weight feels better and is better for me than enjoying chocolate for a few moments.

I am thinking of you and supporting you.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #4  
April

S/C/G: 163/142/140

Height: 5'4"

1) Don't go into Starbucks. you are self-sabotaging.
2) If you don't have access to a dumpster, break up the chocolate and mix it with ketchup and pickle juice and throw it away (or any other gross combination). Keeping it in the house is too tempting for you.
Throw the chocolate away. NOW.
Aprlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #5  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I'd put the chocolate bar in the freezer. If you're tempted to have some, cold chocolate is really not very good, so you'll likely limit your consumption. Hang in there. You haven't lost all control!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I keep all my chocolate in the freezer, cold chocolate is the best!

If I were you and the chocolate is something that is really going to tempt you and you're going to have it all in one go, I'd find someone else to give it to. Hey, a king size bar would be a great present for a work colleague or a neighbour.

As for the Starbucks as others have said, don't worry about it. What's done is done, we all have a missteps and the best thing we can do is try to limit how many times they happen and how they affect us
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #7  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Hi CRB- if you have eaten the chocolate move on just like the Starbucks, use it as a learning experience. We all must learn to deal with obstacles and learn from and overcome our mistakes.

If you haven't eaten it and can view it either as something yucky you won't eat or can save it as a treat for when YOU PLAN for it, then perhaps you can tell your husband don't buy me anymore, I haven't eaten this one. Maybe you can come up with something else that you would enjoy that he can buy for you when he wants to get you a treat.

Best of luck to you
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/157/142

Height: 5"4'

Chocolate has good properties, loaded with antioxidants. Is it possible to reward yourself with small portions of it. Hey chocolate is psychologically addictive, but it isn't tobacco, heroin, or crack. Can you make friends with it?

It is a gift that your husband 'likes you the way you are'. Just sayin!
junem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #9  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

I've been watching this thread, trying to gather my thoughts. I've got two things to say, one about the idea of it being a gift from a husband that likes you the way you are. I've kind of got the same problem, but I have the impression it's kind of a lack of self-confidence on my H's part; if I stay the way I am, he doesn't feel the need to work hard to keep me. I'm honestly not sure he's even aware of this, and what he is aware of is that it makes me (apparently) happy in the short run. Just something I've been mulling over recently. Not saying he's just trying to sabotage...

The other thing is the concept of binging, availibility, etc.. I live in Switzerland. There will be chocolate. I had serious trouble with binging about 6-7 years ago and started reading up on intuitive eating, the anti-diet movement, Geneen Roth's books, etc.. I tried not limiting myself, and it worked for me. It took about 5 years of not even thinking about trying to lose weight, plus thinking long, hard thoughts about what the weight was doing for me till I was finally ready to get a new life. At any given moment we have about a kilo of chocolate in the house. Lots of other stuff too. I've made peace with pretty much all of it, and enjoy a little chocolate now and then with no guilt, and without it spiraling.

Good luck, in any case carbcrazy.
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote