Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #1  
Procrastinator

S/C/G: 161/151.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Default 43. 30 pounds. Issues. Buddy Needed.

I have finally found a way (I think) to manage my horrible eating habits. Intermittent fasting is my friend. I NEED to drop about 30 pounds to feel good both internally and externally. I am menopausal (or thought I was - just had my first period in SIX years - UGH - going to the Doc to see what is up with that) and have thyroid issues (hashimoto's).

I am hoping to find someone (or more than one someone) that I can have some accountability to and I would happily do the same.

These days I'm all about eating clean and not drinking - I need a kick in the pants workout wise.

Most of my friends have younger children (early teens - mine is early 20's) and at a very different stage of life than I am. I am SO over the going out scene. No one wants to be active. Sigh. (Woe is me).

Anyone out there need a friend?
MadKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 168/161/138

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up Yes and I need a buddy too!

Hi Kim,
We are the same age and our weight goals are VERY similar. I have 30 to drop also. I am eliminating sugar and junky carbs - eating clean as you say. I think we could help each other. I'm married and my husband and I are finding out relationship is "stale" - this weightloss is part of a plan to improve myself AND resurrect my marriage. Will you help me??
LeeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #3  
Procrastinator

Yes!!! I hear ya on the "stale" thing. We are having some issues due to my current lack of self esteem... Go figure!!! I'd love to team up!!!! I'm so excited!!! Let's do this!!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #4  

Default New Buddy

Yay! Sorry to hear you too are having self-esteem issues. It seems to come with the territory when being overweight. So how/what do we do? Just post an occasional note to each other? I'm so glad you replied tonight!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #5  
Procrastinator

Sounds good to me!!! Are you going to work out too??? That is what is SUPER hard for me. The eating thing is going well. I'm just not working out at all. Sigh. My plan is this: Intervals on my stationary bike 3x a week and weights (I just have some hand weights) at home, or body weight stuff (squats, lunges, etc.) 3x a week. Walking as extra credit. Do you have a plan for food/movement???
Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #6  

Default Working Out

Super good question. I actually just finished training/running a 5K a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the more I worked out the more I felt I should "treat" myself to good food. I trained for 3 months and stayed exactly the same due to my poor eating habits!!! Soooo now I am focusing on the diet and plan to do a few workouts (3) each week in my living room (DVD's or cable shows) not sure which. My daughter will be out of school so running at the lake is no longer feasible - but I'll definitely move a little bit. What kind of exercise do you like? I'm not into sports - how about you?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #7  
Procrastinator

Wow!! Good for you!! Did you run at all before that?? I can not run at all. My lungs start burning and I just kind of give up.... LOL. I do enjoy walking. I just installed "Runkeeper" on my phone and I'm hoping to use that. It's kind of cool - tracks your speed, distance and routes. I really like weights too, but again, it's just getting back in to the swing of it for me! Are you going to keep your running up??? How old is your daughter? I only have one child - a daughter as well - she is 22! She has one semester of college left. She is currently at home for the summer, but only for two weeks. Then she is moving in to her first "official" (not dorm or college attendance related) apartment. Two blocks from us.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #8  
Procrastinator

I did it!! I got up and did 20 minutes of intervals on my stationary bike. I make such a big deal of it in my head, but once I actually finish I realize it goes by very quickly. How did you do? Did you stay on track food wise??? My weight is still 157 this morning. I actually started at 161 (I should update that on my thing) and have been stuck at 157 for a bit. Do you have any interest in setting a 5 pound goal date??? Maybe 4 weeks from now??? Looking forward to hearing back from you!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #9  

Default Good Job!

MadKim it's great that you did your bike this morning. I am smiling hearing the news! I did good with my eating last night BUT the scale was up from 161 to 162 this morning, a bit discouraging and not sure why. I'm still in the induction phase with Atkins so I need to re-check my carb count. And YES I'd love to set a 5 lb goal date. I'm trying to lose at 2 lbs per week so for me that would be @ July 5th. What about you?

As far as the running, it took me 3 months to work up to the 5K, just adding a bit each week. I used Couch to 5K and then Nike Running app. I did try this several years ago but quit before I ever made it to the 5K mark.

I don't plan on running until I get the weight off. Frankly it's such a mental drain on me that I'd rather focus on my eating and do less strenuous workouts (yoga, walking for cardio).

That's cool that your daughter is settling near by. My daughter is only 7 and my husband and I are already joking that we'll move near her dorm/appt. when she goes away to school - LOL.

Today is my first day of work after being at home/working part time. I'm praying I don't stress eat at my new office!! Keep me in your thoughts today and I'll do the same for you.

Post and let me know how you are doing with your eating today
Lee
Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #10  
Procrastinator

WOO HOO!! WTG to sticking on plan. You just ignore that scale - it's trying to mess with you, but you are stronger than that!!! I used to do Atkins quite a bit too! It always worked really well for me! Wait, July 5th??? Do you mean June??? I can shoot for 2/lbs. a week!!! I am just so blown away by people running that have never ran. It seems very impossible to me.... I really enjoy yoga too. I should try to get in one class a week. I'm a total beginner at it! Do you go to class or do it at home. I think I have some DVD's.....

Awww! Seven is SUCH a sweet age!!! I miss having a little one around!!

Good luck on your first day!!! How exciting!!! Is this a totally new position? If you do not stress eat today you can do anything!!! New jobs/first days are pretty high anxiety!! I can't wait to hear how it went!!!

I work from home but am on the road a lot (I'm an account rep type person). I go in to a LOT of medical clinics that focus on natural/healthy lifestyles, so there is THAT incentive to stick to everything too....
Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #11  
Procrastinator

Hope you're doing OK down there! Looks like all **** is breaking loose in your area. STAY SAFE!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #12  
Procrastinator

156.8 - hope you're OK.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #13  

Good Morning MK, You are so sweet to check on me! Yes I am good. Had some friends in OKC that saw some really bad weather though. So, the first day - I did NOT stress eat (not even when they put the chips and dip out at 4 pm)!! And yes I did mean June 5th - so we're on? How did you do on your eating yesterday? I'm doing a bit of yoga this morning too - I am also a beginner but love how good it makes me feel. I hope to do some running next week - it just takes a lot of out of me. I have to push myself mentally as well as physically. But running the 5K was worth it

So the job is sort of new. I invest in real estate and I'm going to work for the company where I did my training. I was working from home investing and doing project management work (which I did for AT&T for 10 years). I think this job will further my investing and bring in some extra $. Plus with my daughter being 7 now - she'd rather play with friends after school then have milk & cookies with mom everyday (dang!).

You are lucky to be in a field that involves a healthy lifestyle. Frankly many people in real estate are overworked and have terrible eating/exercise habits. I don't have many good role models - but plan to be one for other people if I can.

Gotta run - time to turn on the Yoga DVD. Have a super day!
p.s. down to 160 this morning
Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #14  
Procrastinator

Yay!! You made it through the storms! Yay! You didn't stress eat - I am the QUEEN of stress eating!!! I did really really good. I'm just on this kick of not eating crap right now - I'm not even interested. It's weird. I'm also not very hungry. I think the intermittent fasting kind of helps with all that. I have a MEGA sweet tooth and I love bread/pasta. Mmmmm, pasta....

Oooo, 7 is tough!!! Just wait until 13, not only does she prefer her friends, but you then become MASSIVELY uncool/dorky and are shunned.

Did you do your yoga? I didn't lift any weights yet -I didn't want to do it this morning while I was fasting, but i'm still hoping to get it in!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #15  
Procrastinator

I didn't lift weights. I was tired. Not sure why. I have stayed 100% on track with my eating though. It's easier every day. What did you have for dinner last night? Did I mention my husband is a Chef? I blame him for getting me in to this mess.. I was a size 2 when I met him! We had a combo of brown rice/red quinoa and black beans with grilled veggies (we are trying to eat less meat). I think there was red peppers, red onions, portabellas and asparagus on there. Very good! I'm going to have an AMAZING smoothie for lunch today. I got some new protein powder to try - it's all organic-y and rgbh free. I'll put fruit and some soy or almond milk in it. YUM!!! Not sure what we'll have for dinner - we have a leftover chicken breast we need to use, maybe big salads....