Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 80/75/55

Height: 162 cm (5 feet 3 and 3/4!)

Default 40 and Starting Again

I already posted in the introductions but then I saw this 40 something section and I felt encouraged that there are others of my own age in the same boat. I only joined today and need a bit of encouragement. I've recently lost my pregnancy, my partner, was bullied out of my job (got another one though!) and I'm in the throes of depression which, combined with my weight gain and long term issues with weight means I am at an all time low and need to start pulling myself out of it. I love how people support one another on this site and there is a lot of positivity and encouragement. I just turned 40 and it has been the worst few months of my life so I thought I'm going to try to turn it around and start again and make my 40s fabulous. I don't really have a support system so I hope to get involved on this site and hope I can encourage others too (if I can do it myself). It feels impossible at the moment but I need to find a way forward.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #2  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Solace, you are not alone!!!

You've gone through so much recently, so many upheavals, so many stressors, but it sounds like you're doing what you must for yourself to move forward, awesome!!! I've struggled all my life with my weight, and in the past 15 or so years with health problems that sent me into a major tailspin depression wise, I've been so low for the past 2+ years, I let it consume me ... but there comes a time where you have to either decide to pull the hole in behind yourself or start climbing out. Sounds like you've decided to keep on climbing, girl, good for you!

The way forward is incredibly hard but also simple: You put one foot in front of the other, it's how you go for a walk, how you go for a bike ride -- you get the point. Make little changes, nurture things that are "doable" in your life. If all you do today is walk 10 minutes it's still 10 more than if you walked nothing, you know? If all you do is eat on plan and don't give in to temptations, then that's enough. If you do both of those, be proud, if you do more, boast about it. Blog your brains out, vent, and keep taking one step after the other.

The 40s aren't so bad, one nice thing about them, you sort of start prioritizing your life realistically and it's easier to be comfortable in your skin (well, it's kind of looser so it stands to reason ... BTW, I just turned 48, is my cynicism showing?)

Most of all, hang in there and Welcome!
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #3  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

solace, welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about all your recent troubles. What an awful time you've had.

This whole site is great, but I'm particularly partial to this board. I'll be 45 this week. I have found it SO much more challenging to control my weight since I turned 40, so it's great to have others who are in the same boat to commiserate with.

I hope to see you posting here lots! Think about joining one of our challenges.
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

Height: 5'4"

Welcome, Solace. I'm sorry you've had such a rough time lately. << hugs >>. I have only been on this site since January, and I find it incredibly supportive. Hopefully you will too!
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #5  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Solace! I feel for you with all of the roadblocks you have recently experienced. I really saw some positives in your posting. First, you got a new job. Hope that is working out good for you. Secondly, you have already lost 6 lbs! WOW! Great job. Keep up the hard work and you will meet your weight loss goal. I participate in the Weight loss and depression thread. Come on over and join us. We all need support and it is a great place to get it. There are so many others in the same shoes as us. I look forward to following your progress.

Blessings,
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/206/140

Height: 64"

Solace, you are doing great! I think that if I had went through all of that I would probably weigh double by now. However, you have already lost a few pounds. This is a great place for support so you are no longer alone in your battle. Welcome to the group.

Kristy
trukmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #7  

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your pregnancy! I recently (two weeks ago) miscarried at 12 weeks pregnant. I'm 42 (43 in June). I currently have a healthy 8 month old that was conceived when I was 41 so I just wanted to encourage you to try again if that's what you want. Good luck to you!
Way2goU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/177/150

Height: 5'4"

For years my mother told me that our 40's were the best years of our lives ....well, 40 was rough but now at 43 I have seen what she means, things are getting better...I think we discover our selves in a way we don't have time to do when we are younger.Just give it so time, you have a chance to create who you want to be as a grown up,try new things,and put YOURSELF first,your weight ,your needs.
former340 is offline   Reply With Quote