Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #1  

Default trying to be healthy AND look good.

Hello. I am 46 years old and trying for the 100th time to lose weight and keep it off. Its been 4 months of healthy eating and Im happy to say that I have lost 45 pounds so far. I have another 50 to go . The hardest thing about this is, its so hard to tell that I have lost weight. Being healthy is my priority but .......I want to look good too. I had someone tell me yesterday that I looked good and it really shows in my face. I hate to be like this but , the only ones who have told me I look like Ive lost weight are those who know Im doing WW. Then theres my husband who has lost 101b, when we go out everyone tells me how great HE looks. Anyways, thanks for the vent. Sometimes we just need to hear a complement to keep working!
Ros4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #2  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

The compliments are a so motivational! Sometimes when I felt like stopping, it was the random complements that kept me going. Sometimes it was the criticisms (you're getting too thin!).

That sucks that people notice your husbands' loss and not yours! I think that would drive me crazy too! The compliments will slow down for your husband, I'm sure. He couldn't possibly shrink that much more! Your compliments will surely increase.

You know what's interesting is I'd often get compliments at unexpected times. Like I'd shed 20 pounds and no one would know the difference. Then I'd shed 5 or 6 and people would ask me if I lost weight.

I think a lot of times, people are just afraid to say anything. Then at some point, it's just too obvious and you start getting compliments and questions.

You're not "being like" anything. We all like to look good, and we all like the compliments. I'm a total compliment ho, and I'm even afraid of how it will be when I'm at my goal and the compliments stop!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #3  

I agree. Keep up the work and people will notice. Remember, you are doing this for YOURSELF and health. Your husband's loss is overshadowing yours because of the amount. In a month or two, you will be surprised at how much people will notice. Just keep it up!!!! Congratulations on all of your good work!
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

It really sucks that weight loss seems to be more noticeable more quickly on men! If my husband drops 5-10lbs, people notice right away! I had to drop at least 30lbs for people to notice anything different - even then, they weren't sure if I had lost weight or just changed my hair! It can be discouraging, but don't give up! Be your own cheerleader, and come on 3FC so we can cheer for you! Compliments can be motivating, but looser clothes, being able to bend over easily, and seeing cheekbone definition - those personal NSV's can be motivating too! I am vain enough to admit that I want to lose weight not just for my health but also to look good! Embrace whatever reasons and motivations you have to lose weight and go for it!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #5  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros4 View Post
Hello. I am 46 years old and trying for the 100th time to lose weight and keep it off. Its been 4 months of healthy eating and Im happy to say that I have lost 45 pounds so far. I have another 50 to go . The hardest thing about this is, its so hard to tell that I have lost weight. Being healthy is my priority but .......I want to look good too. I had someone tell me yesterday that I looked good and it really shows in my face. I hate to be like this but , the only ones who have told me I look like Ive lost weight are those who know Im doing WW. Then theres my husband who has lost 101b, when we go out everyone tells me how great HE looks. Anyways, thanks for the vent. Sometimes we just need to hear a complement to keep working!
Ros, that is wonderful. A 45 loss is a lot. *congrats*. Some people don't look hard enough and maybe they don't want to cause you to pay attention in their remarks as it could startle your journey. That does happen, believe it or not it has even happened to me. I immediately quit my journey-went home to binge. Not becacuse I wanted to just mental stuff I suppose. But your hubby has lost so much and maybe they fiigured he was finished losing it and remarked to him -this time, your day won't be far off. i suppose you have a renewed zest and stride in your step. That will get your journey worked the way that gets you noticed. The vitality you feel 'inside' is noticable on the 'outside'. It is great both you and your hubby are working on yourselves together. I sure wish my hubby wanteed to lose his excess. Health is important. Good luck on those last 50 pounds, I bet it won't be long either.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

You have done an amazing job!! I think that some people are afraid to notice weight loss out loud because they fear that they might offend us. I've been in the same boat, only friends who KNOW that I've been dieting will say that they notice. I'm on yet another "new" diet - and this time I'm not telling anyone. And I'm actually trying to avoid some people for the next few months. I can't wait to say that I've lost 45! Great job! Keep up the good work!!!
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #7  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Congratulations on the loss! 45 lbs is a lot -- if you don't believe it, just go to the garden center and pick up a 40 lb bag of potting soil. It's a strain, and you've lost more than that weighs! Five pounds is equal to a 12-pack carton of canned cokes -- picture 9 of those babies piled in the corner of your kitchen. You have MUCH to be proud of!

I had lost 60 lbs before any of my coworkers noticed. I didn't overtly tell them about my dieting, but they caught on that I wasn't going out to lunch anymore. Actually, I don't react well to compliments, so I wasn't really looking forward to them, but when someone finally noticed, it was nice.

Your profile doesn't indicate the weight you started at, but I would suspect that like in my case, the heavier your starting weight, the more time it takes to "show" to the average eye. Also, I think people are hesitant to bring up weightloss to women - it's a touchy subject.

Just keep noticing how much better you feel, how you can move now, and how your clothes fit. It's all about YOU, anyway! You're doing this, and you're FABULOUS!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/184/140

Height: 5'4" BMI-31.6=OBESE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
Five pounds is equal to a 12-pack carton of canned cokes
Now that's a visual!
valentine21463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #9  

Thank you all so much. Posting here allowed me to vent in a healthy way instead of eating my way through the frustration!
Ros4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #10  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros4 View Post
Thank you all so much. Posting here allowed me to vent in a healthy way instead of eating my way through the frustration!
How's it going, Ros4?
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #11  

Default Be Healthy And Look Good

congrats on losing 45 pounds I hope u hit your goal and I wish everyone the best on their journey to the new body

Last edited by antwan1; 01-07-2013 at 08:49 PM.
antwan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #12  
Slightly Insane

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5' 7"

Lock your husband in the closet when you go places.
Oops - sorry. That is what I am tempted to do sometimes with MY husband.

First of all - I am jealous of your 45 pounds! I hope that I can be there myself someday!
Second of all - like others of said, people are much more reluctant to compliment a woman on weight loss for fear of insulting her in some way.

I will guarantee you that, after you were gone, more than one person said, "Does she look like she lost weight? I didn't want to say anything because ..." That happens a lot.
SciFi Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #13  

Hi there... Congrats on your weight loss ... That's very motivational to me who is just starting out.

I agree- I think a lot of people have an inbuilt sense to never comment on the weight of women ... (Much more so than men.) I never bring it up unless someone offers information.

Congrats again ....
Smilingin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #14  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Weight is such a taboo subject in social settings that frankly, unless the person in question has mentioned it first, most people keep their mouths shut.
Personally, I tend to steer clear of the topic unless its a really close friend. I don't want to offend someone by saying something that could be misconstruded as an insult...Like saying "OMG you look so good." Some people take it as, well what was I, ugly before? Just that type of thing....

Congrats on losing the 45...you should be very proud...
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote