40-Something January 2013 Chat!

You're on Page 5 of 26
Go to
  • @MrsTryingAgain - oh that's awesome that someone noticed your efforts!! That's always so nice. And right now I have room, although I may be moving somewhere smaller come summer, but my weight bench is very small, I think it will fit wherever!

@sum38 - too bad people have to be such jerks. My sister and her family went through that when they BOUGHT a house. THe sellers acted really shady and didn't even seem to want to actually sell the house, and then they tried to get them to sign on to some lawsuit about a roof problem that they were not taking care of and so my sister and her husband decided to back away. I was relieved for them because it all just sounded so icky. I hope yours works out well for you soon!

@twineten - yeah, like some of the others have said. Probably mostly sodium. I go through that if I eat out or if I eat soup the night before. I'll be bloated like a balloon if I dare eat Asian food!

@newleaf - way to go! I love those inspirational threads! I will check that one out. I love the goals section the best! I always try to look for people around my height who started around whre I am and are at my goal weight or getting there! Bonus if they are over 40! ;D

@guac - hi! I will be very much unable to do much personal responding starting Monday when my vacation is over and a very difficult semester starts for me (working full time plus 2 grad level classes! D, so I get it. BUt I will so be here reading and hopefully saying hi when I can.

I'm going out to eat with some friends this evening. I can't stop thinking about the onion rings there. *sigh* If only I would surprise myself and just get a salad!
  • I'm really not that afraid of salt. I'm a heavy salter at home, but I use the good celtic or himalayan sea salts, which are so good for you and healthy, with all of the extra minerals. Adrenal glands are real salt lovers.

It's the table salt you have to worry about. It's the eating out, and the processed foods that are the problem. That's where I have gone wrong this week. Some chicken wings, some popcorn (I finished the bag, thank goodness, so I can quit torturing myself with it), some fast food and just not eating on plan or very well, and a little bit too much mindless eating.....

I make grocery list this weekend, get some shopping done and back on the wagon. Fruits, veggies, good and healthy snacks. Weigh, measure, record.....

I lost a mere pound since yesterday, so I'm back at 153... still 4 pounds above goal, and back in to overweight BMI. Infuriating.

Guac, good to see you!
  • love the humor, strength, inspiration and guts displayed in this group.
    Wish I could post more, one of my goals is going to be to check in here every day, so I can do my part.

thanks ladies!
    keep on keeping on...or keeping off... :
  • Hello All,

Thank goodness it's the weekend! Only 3 days of work this week, but felt like I put in 80 hours! It's going to be a stressful year with a lot going on. I've resolved that in addition to hitting my goal weight, I am going to learn to cope with major stressors in a healthy way. When I went through my divorce I gained 50 pounds - it's definitely not going to happen this time. So - I am going to study up, and implement.

I know working out is definitely on the "how to cope" with stress list. And not drinking at all - I need to be STRONG and GROUNDED.

Speaking of workouts - I kickboxed for an hour this morning - felt great to punch a bag for an hour...LOL.

Weighed in at 147.5 - the scale seems to be bouncing back and forth...(sigh). And I anticipate being up tomorrow - after kickboxing it always does.

Well, my daughter needs my PC for a school project - so I'll check in later!
  • I am doing 3 week slimfast plan. It worked in the past and I know exactly what I can eat and when. Scale was up...163.. this morning. No more excuses.
  • We went shopping today to stock up, it was nice to grocery shop with "program" in mind, not what do I need for xmas cookies, etc... lol

Am going out with the snow shoes today, it's supposed to get warm and maybe even rain, so that will be the end of the season, unless there's another big storm, I'm ok with the end of the season...this was enough for me!

There was a slideshow on abcnews' website that showed some recipes from The Chew, but didn't have the actual recipes, so I went to the chew's website and found them, there's alot of recipes on there, these were Daphne Oz's new years resolution recipes, I was interested in the one smoothie, it was really easy, I might try it, it's grapefruit (I'm substituting orange since I don't have grapefruit) carrots and ginger.

best to all, I need to come up with my goal for 2013 (besides weight loss) I'm thinking of something with steps, I'm addicted to my lifefitness pedometer...

we're probably going to do a 2 day juice, monday and tuesday. I get a newsletter from Reboot/Joe Cross, they're going to post some videos with exercise and nutrition info if anyone's interested in checking that out.
  • I only have a few moments before I have to clock in for work. But I wanted to pop in & say, "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!"

I saw a dear friend of mine who I haven't seen since Thanksgiving. First thing she said, "Gail, you look terrific! You've lost weight, haven't you?" I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear!!! 2 compliments in 3 days! WOO HOO!!!

This morning when it was soooo cozy warm in bed, that stupid alarm clock went off. I truned it off, thought about rolling over & catching a few more zzzz's. Then I said to myself, "Nope. Others on the board get up & get out when there is snow on the ground. When the thermometer is in single digits or worse. GET UP! GET DRESSED! GET IT DONE!" So I did. Again, it's your YOUR fault!

Who knows maybe tomorrow I'll have a little heart-to-heart with my scales. Maybe just maybe we can bury the hachet & be on better terms? A girl can always hope!

Anywhos, I'll check in with you all after work. Gotta run!

BE GOOD! BE HEALTHY! REMEMBER SOMEONE IN NO. CALIF. IS ROOTING FOR YOU!!!!
  • MrsT
  • Quote: MrsT
    ^^ THIS ^^
  • Well....I was a good girl too this morning....grabbed the puter first thing and got some work done....then worked out for the first time in ages and ages....wasn't easy but I did it!---the lungs are still shaky from the bronchitis, low blood sugar from atkins induction and no breakfast, and asthma getting worse with the cold....yadda yadda....no more excuses...time to get on a schedule....I only got one body and one chance to rock it....I'm gonna be rockin through my old age !!!! 70 year old in go-go boots!

It's funny to read stuff that only we ladies can relate to....like the scale routines and conversations. For me, no eating or drinking until I first shower and then weigh. Should give me incentive to hop out of bed and get the workout done first thing....before the teenagers drain the hot water heater.

Well my bathroom shelf project cost <$10 for corbels and ribbon...used leftover shelf board and took me < a week! I couldn't find the size baskets I wanted, so I recycled some plastic tubs, old shower curtain fabric, and decorated with ribbon. Stylish and organized! And done! (This is why it is taking me so long to clean out the basement!)

....yea, well MrsT....you've become one of Them now!

Shiela--I hear ya about stress and the upcoming work year...I've just gotta get some solid routines, learn how to compartmentalize my life better, and get a DGAS attitute. Still working on giving up the evening wine w/ Hubs....speaking of which...

Quote:
    Originally posted by twinieten:
    olehcat- Me too! I love my evening wine, but when it came to calories, I just couldn't justify it and saved it for weekends, special occasions or days that ended with ef-it.
    What calendar you using Twinieten???? On my calendar, WTF comes after Sa Su M&T every single week. Maybe I should get a different calendar.

ok....now I'm going to work on my complexion and dry skin....olive oil soak for the hands and face....scary monster time....
  • 2FC = we have weigh-in charts that are taped on the door in the cabinet by the door in the kitchen, I was mortified when my husband showed it to my mother and sister in law when they were here, my MIL said, you were over 200...God bless you and gave me a kiss, now I'm proud of where I'm at compared to where I was, but I do remember that day...lol

Sheilla = had the 3 day week that seemed like 6 days too, especially the one day, I think it was Thursday, I swear they were doing an experiment with slowing the clock down, I wasn't the only one, it crawled, hopefully next week will be better, like all things, getting back to the routine...

MrsTA = congrats on the notices! that's a great feeling, and hey, it's your fault, too! lol...because of you I'm on here for the 3rd time today and went out and snow shoed for an hour and a half with my little dog, THANKS love your scale named Sheba, so much fun

NEMom = congrats on kicking the regular cigs with the ecigs, sorry to hear about the stuff with your fam, that stinks, hope it gets better for you.

came across this fantastic thread in Elladorine's signature block, it's about using beads as reward/motivation, I've heard of other things using beads,but this is great and motivational http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...rds-beads.html

best to all

NewLeaf = thanks for the link to the transformation page, it was definitely inspiring!

Came across a couple interesting things today, one on facebook, SkinnyKitchen looks like great recipes and ideas, also on PBS Create I'm watching ChristinaCooks, checked out her website, vegetarian and vegan cooking classes, she just said if you have someone with health issues sneak some lentils in once a week, not sure why, but that's what she said...
  • Hi ladies. Just popping in to say hello. I've been reading to keep up, but really don't have much time to write much. You ladies continue to inspire me and remind me that I'm not the only one out there on this journey. I've started my weight training and have done 2 workouts so far. I'm soooo sore. But it feels good. Take care everyone. Keep plugging along.
  • Hi ladies, your all very inspiring...enjoyed reading threw this thread. Your helping me stay focused today, the evening hours are my downfall. Trying very hard not to snack after 7:30 pm. Have been workingout here and there, but nothing very steady...this must change. Hope you don't mind me jumping in, I need some accountability.
  • suzyslimdown - WELCOME!! You can do this!! And we are here to support you! DO YOU!!! And check in with us on your daily progress!! It really helps!!

Moving Forward - "HURTS SO GOOD!" I know how you feel - so sore, but at the same time - know that you made your fat cells cry because they had to leave!! Keep up the great work!!!!

kelijpa - I need to check out those recipe sites!! But I make an incredible and SO EASY vegan stew! I just throw into a crockpot a bag of veggie crumbles, any veggies I have in the fridge/freezer (spinach, zucchini, onions, green peppers, etc)...the some legumes - kidney beans, lentils, you name it - add some chopped garlic, crushed tomatoes and a little bit of water to cover everything - - I eat on it for a week!!! and sometimes I add chili powder or taco seasoning for a little kick! It's awesome!!

SeeMyFeet - I'm going through a lot work wise this year - and I found this book called " The Ten Things To Do When Your Life Falls Apart" by Daphne Rose Kingma - it sounds ominous - - but I picked it up knowing I was in for some turbulent times and WOW - - one of the best books I've ever read!! And it sounds like your bathroom shelves are AWESOME!!! Wish I were as creative and had that skill!!! Any way you can post a pic??

MrsTryingAgain - YOU GO GIRL!!!! I'm so proud of you!!! And you inspire me!!! Tomorrow morning before I do anything I'm getting on that treadmill!!!

Sum38 - You got this girlfriend....CHOOSE YOU. It is so easy for us to "default" to our old ways - - but we are stronger than that!!! YOU are strong!!!

I actually had a productive day! Kickboxed, then came home and read some of "The ten things to do when your life falls apart" - (which is not how I feel, but REALLY is FABULOUS and helps put stress in perspective) - - then I cleaned my exercise room!! Took a whole car-load to Goodwill - - felt GREAT!!!!

Now going to bed - a great day and evening with the kids - - Oh - and we ALL tried the hula hoop!!! My son loved it so much he asked me if I could buy him one to take to his Dad's house (which I immediately ordered for him )

LIG (Life IS Good!!!)

-S