1 lb from goal - and blew it

• Hi all!

This is so depressing to write I almost can't write it

I was 1 lb from goal in July.

I went on a cruise. Which started an eating binge.

I gained 10 lbs back of the 15 I had lost.

10 pounds for a perimenopausal, hypothyroid woman - well, it took me 5 months to lose those 10 pounds. And a month to gain them back.

What the heck is wrong with me?

This is so discouraging.
  • Nothing is wrong with you.
    I too was at my original goal and working on losing just 10 more lbs, now here I am about 5 months later and 15 lbs heavier. I recommited myself and am starting over today. You can do it too!!!
  • Just keep hanging in there!

I have been at a stand-still with my weight loss for a long time now - I got down to 7 lbs from my goal weight (after not losing a pound for almost 6 months) and I, too, went on a cruise and gained 7 lbs. I don't regret the food I ate there, it was Italy & Greece and I loved every bite - but it was a set-back.

I'd only lost 4 of the 7 lbs I gained and then went home to the midwest for a week and gained 3. So, I am back to exactly the weight I was on Nov 5 of last year! It bums me out, but it also bolsters me because I am still working out 4-5x per week, I am still eating well the majority of the time and I haven't slipped back. That's a huge victory for me.

I think you have to not be so hard on yourself. Every "normal weight" person I know has gained weight on a vacation here and there. You haven't blown it, you just had a great vacation and now it's back to reality.
  • Quick check in to say I feel you! I am still not on track and eating horrible and not exercising. My kids being home has thrown me off track and I know it will be hard to get back On track again when they go back to school later this week. I am scared to step on the scale, but all of my clothes are tight. I am really mad at myself right now, but can't seem to stop my bad eating.
  • It Is Okay!
    It is OKAY! Hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise! So what?! You'll loose those 10 pounds and you'll feel good again. Just keep up with whatever you were doing before. Go back to your good routines. As you can see, IT IS possible. YOU GO GIRL!
  • Thank you all!

I guess what I am witching about is - why the heck did I let myself gain 10 lbs when they were so impossible to lose in the first place? I actually felt better than I ever had - all lean, and my metabolism humming along, and I let myself go. Why? I'd love to figure this out.

Part of the reason I think is that it takes so little to gain. And I just got tired of trying to maintain.
  • Perhaps some of it is water weight? If you went on an eating binge, maybe it's just lots of sodium and crap from all the processed food. I mean, if you think about how many calories are in ten pounds... did you really eat that much? I doubt it. That's 35,000 extra calories.

I bet if you eat cleanly and drink a ton of water, you'll see some of those pounds fall off within a couple of weeks. I always gain about five pounds after a vacation, but then it falls off within a couple weeks of eating right and flushing my body with water.

Good luck!
  • A lot of reason why people gain so much weight on vacation is usually because of water retention- don't panic! See what your weight does over the next week- maybe the damage isn't so bad.
  • It is not water weight. It is the weight gain of a thyroid that doesn't function well. I need very little to gain. I actually only gained 5 lbs on the cruise; the other 5 has been in the last 3 weeks. So a total of 10 lbs in 4 weeks.
    The week after the cruise, 2 pounds came off. Then I just started gaining. Eating a lot of sugar and baked goods.

I was SO CLOSE. This really bugs me. How can I be so close to this goal and then let it go?

Now it doesn't want to come off.
  • I lost 52 pounds 5 years ago. I kept it off for 3 years. Then I stopped tracking what I ate and started gaining back. I told myself," It's just 5 pounds, you can lose it again." Before I knew it, I have gained 30 lbs back.

ou can do it. Just pick yourself up and start again. Tomorrow is a new day!
  • I am in the same boat as you.....on a small frame ten lbs makes such a difference and I managed to lose the weight....then this summer the lbs started creeping on and in two months I am back up ten lbs ...or MORE since i'm too afraid to get on the scale......I'm so angry at myself and upset about it, I literally started crying over it the other day when I was trying on clothes and nothing was fitting me.....Back on the wagon!! I don't know what it is like to have a thyroid condition but I can only imagine how hard it is for you, it doesn't mean that you can't do it...and this time you will remember how you feel right now and not fail.....I am more determined than ever to get to that good place again.
  • I think we all know how this feels. We want to enjoy ourselves and that also means enjoying food. We just can't lose sight of our goals. I am in the same boat. I have gained about 6 lbs back, just can't change my weight tracker, it breaks my heart. I was feeling so good about me. But, I have caught it early and I'm trying to get back in the right mindset. So, I wish you good luck with the same.