Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default Just curious how many have young kids?

I do, and it really makes working out almost impossible. By the time my husband gets home at night I am ready to collapse and have no energy to work out. I try to go for walks with the kids, but it certainly isn't a power workout.

Having young kids also wreaks havoc on my diet plan, because I am always eating their leftovers or tempted to partake of their treats. As much as I try to keep healthy snacks in the house, my kids have their favorite things that I don't want to deprive them of (and they are all skinny!). When I am feeling hungry, it is easy to binge on their foods.

Anyone here in the same boat?
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi Guacamole. I now have a 12 yr and 9 yr old sons. When they were little-er, I couldn't get out and I worked out by video or jump roped at home (tiny living room, so movements were strategically figured out for the 8 x 3 foot available space). A few years ago, I really wanted to join the boxing club 1/2 block away (next to the grocery store) but I only did it a month until my husband had to leave the country when his father died. I just couldn't leave them for over an hour. The boxing ring closed due to the economy.

Working out by videos has really become such a pattern that I stick to it now even with kids that I could leave at home for some time (they're really great together). I even have three yoga and one zumba studio on my block (I know it's a crazy packed city and super small). We don't own a car so we walk everywhere. We've started biking again and will incorporate that in to our commutes and outings.

I read somewhere about snacking on kids' food. The food'll get wasted no matter what but I can decide if it hits the compost pile or my butt. That really helped me because I will stuff and stuff and stuff my mouth to avoid wasting food. I almost stuffed a huge panini with cheese (my first small serving was SO delicious) and the meeting had so many left over--but I got out of there without eating.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #3  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hey guac, I'm not a 40-something, but I do have 2 small children (2 yrs and 8 mos.) I found a gym that has childcare for a few hours each morning. It's a small window (only about 3 hours) so I have to make it work within that time frame, but it's been a lifesaver. It's the only way I'm able to make it to the gym.
I'd love to say that I worked out at home before, but I just didn't. The kids were in the way or I'd look around and see everything else that needed to be done and it would always get shoved to the back burner. That, and I don't have 10's of 1000's of $$ worth of awesome equipment at my house.

Good luck, it's tough with little ones!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #4  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Oh yeah, about the leftovers. I put it in the trash or in the fridge immediately. I don't think about it, or think about the waste, I just do it. I don't keep cookies and mac n cheese and crap on hand, I figure my kids need it as a treat about as often as I do (that's what makes it a treat!) so will buy it occasionally as such.

I think this is part of the reason I have kids that love fresh fruit and will leave half a cookie sitting on the table when they do get one. For the most part, kids will eat what they're given if they're hungry.

Last edited by Gale02; 05-10-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #5  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Since my 8-year-old was a baby, I've gone to bed when my kids go to bed and gotten up at 4:45am. That way, I can exercise and shower before they wake up. It does make for an early bedtime - dh and I are usually in bed by 9pm, but the jolt of energy I get from morning exercise is well worth it.

As for the food thing...um, yeah. Sometimes it is very difficult not to finish their food. I sometimes ask them to rinse their plates and put them by the counter so I don't even touch them.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #6  
ugggg.....

we keep our 3 year grandson quite a bit...and the 1 year old..new baby has beeen out briefly but other two stay every Friday and Saturday night...the 1 year old does not sleep through the night...makes me feel so sleep deprived and sooo glad I had kids young...my friend just had her 3rd baby at 43, empty nest got her..
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Just like wife2abadge, I utilize the early wake up at 4:15am to get workouts on Tues and Thurs. On the weekends, I have more leisure and workout in the morning around 8 or 9. We only have one tv/dvd set so the kids know that it's my hour and leave me alone the entire time (nothing will be done: no phone calls, no assistance, unless beyond urgent such as illness/accident or playdate pickup with questions).

It's really my creation of a time and place where I'm working on myself. I learned it from a professional symphany cellist who kept all her instruments and such out with toddlers who never touched or was interested in mommy's corner. She said it's her space and taught them to respect it from the beginning. It inspired me to try.

For my kids and spouse, it's taken time but worth it. I can carve out time without stress. My husband is able to do yoga in the livingroom to help his stress. The kids are older and I ask them to be honest with me about what's their space and when they need self-care time (ie do lie that you're too sick to go to karate class; just say I really need to take a break today). If it's done responsibly and not shorting anything, it's completely fair to have a mental health break.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #8  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

I have an 8-year-old son.

I do find the exercise challenging. DH and I both work full-time. He does drop-off, I do pick-up, so I have to wait until he's home to go to the gym. I usually leave for work around 6:30 AM so I've thought about trying to work out in the morning, but haven't been able to get motivated to get out the door @ 5. There are some nights it's very hard to go, esp. since I have to wait over an hour from when I get hime until DH does. I find it helps if I put on my workout clothes as soon as I get through the door - then I will always make it to the gym. If I wait, I'm in trouble.

I usually work out M, W, and Th nights and Saturday and Sunday mornings or afternoons.

On the food thing, I'm no help as 1) my son rarely leaves any food and 2) we eat very differently. He eats a lot of meat or pasta for dinner along with veggies and fruit. He can go through a pint of grape tomatoes, a lb. of baby carrots, or 3 apples in one sitting. He's extremely active and still slim.
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #9  

Thanks for all of the replies! I just don't have the energy or drive to get up at the crack of dawn to work out. Once my youngest is awake in the morning, I can forget about time to myself for exercise. The most I can do is go for walks with him, but of course, it's not a power walk with a small child (he's too big for a stroller).

I haven't been doing very well on my diet. No unusual binging, but no cutting back on portions or the kinds of food I eat either. One thing I have cut out for the last month is soda - regular or diet. I had cut it out before and then crept it back in on a lesser scale. I thought moderation was the key. Nope. I have to say, it's made a huge difference in how I feel. I was always so bloated and gassy, which I attributed to being overweight. Now I realize it was all the soda I had been guzzling!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #10  

I was there with my kids, too. I have 3 daughters who are now 10, 11 & 14. My husband was in the military and gone often and we didn't live near family. I took them for walks every day. We would dance around the house together, I would do workout videos at home, and when my husband was home, I would get up and go for a walk at 6am.

Now, I work full time and don't have any energy to work out, so I'm the same as you! Even though my kids aren't so young any more, they still need me, and I feel guilty about being at work for so long. I don't see them in the morning and get home at 5pm, so there's not a lot of time nor energy.

I think I need a buddy to help with motivation!! I think we all want to lose the weight, but sometimes, the road from A to B is so daunting. Where is the time for us in all of this? You do what you have to do....dance with your son, play tag in the park, bring a ball to kick around. Manoevering your body through the play structures is quite a work out....and in the end, have fun.
lostris326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/259/140

I have two young children, 6 & 3. Thankful for full day Kindergarten for the 6 yo. September my 3 yo will be 4 and will be going to preschool 3 days a week all day. I am really looking forward to that. I have not begun exercising yet - my goal is to start walking later this week after I am done with all the volunteering at DS's school. My plan is to just start walking in the morning before DH goes to work.

I wish you the best. It is hard with young ones. Try your best.
CameraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #12  

Thanks, everyone. You ladies are the best support - you have no idea!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 199/177/143

Height: 5'8

Hi, I'm lucky in that my daughter is now 13, so can do everything with me that she wants. When she was little we used to dance around the house together, and as soon as she could I got her cycling, and we still to that, although it's very slow at first, she's only just got up to my pace and distance. Problem now is she keeps cooking at school, and its all cakes and biscuits, or pies.....and you can't say no to something she's made herself.

You dont say how old your kids are, or if boys or girls, but no matter how hard it is to find time at the moment, it will get easier. And...they will love it when they can do things with you, especially when they realise they are keeping you fit and healthy. Start them on a healthy diet now, and the rest will fall into place.

Good luck, and keep smiling.
Scottiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 151/151/125

Height: 5' 1"

Default Kids

Working out sure is challenging when you have kids. What works best for me is getting up at 4:30am to work out for an hour and then get ready for work. If I wait until after work, I'm exhausted from the day and feel as if I'm cheating the kids of quality time. Ahhhh the perils of motherhood

Last edited by Fighton; 06-23-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Fighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #15  

Thanks for the replies. Being a mom can be really tough, because you always have to put yourself second (or third or fourth). That's ok for some things like - which movie should we watch? or what activity should we do today? - but when it comes to putting your health second (or third or fourth) it can have life altering and potentially fatal consequences if it goes on for too long.

I have a number of children ranging from teens to toddlers. Because I have been putting myself last on the list for many years now, my weight has crept up to a dangerous level. Also, because I don't exercise much, I am in constant pain and can barely do things like walk around a zoo or amusement park. Things have to change soon...