Age 40? okay. 41? WTH???

• Every spring I run 4.5 miles to the gym, work out, and run back home. It's tough, since I don't run more than 3 consecutive miles all winter. (treadmill BORES me).

So at age 39, I did this and my IT bands said NO!!! Lesson learned. Last year at age 40, I had trained more before my "big (for me) run" and did not suffer any IT band pain.

This year (age 41) I trained ahead of time like last year. I ran it this morning. It's 5 hours later and I feel like I got hit by a train.

40-somethings, is this what is to be expected?? Will it get worse next year? What can I do???? I already take fish oil and osteo biflex for joint issues. I am a fitness trainer. I work out 5 times a week. I modify for joint pain.

But this is something worse. UGH! Any ideas and help will be appreciated.
  • What does training ahead of time mean?
  • I trained before running outside by running more frequently on the tread and indoor track and increased my miles. I think the biggest problem is the surface I run on outside. It's asphalt. I try to run on the softer shoulder, but the angle makes my stride difficult and I can feel it in my hips and knees.

Running 5+miles is no big deal for me cardiovascularly. It's the joint and muscle pain I deal with.