Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #106  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good day! Have to say, I'm excited about being on track - even if just for five days My guy called yesterday afternoon from work, after I was a little taken aback at what I perceived him to be not gung ho with me and he wasn't at all, so that's good. He's excited, too, about us eating healthier -with better portions. Usually our intake is pretty healthy (not counting all the christmas goodies) but it's portions that went awry - I was eating near what he was, and he was indulging! So I'm glad that we're on the same track there. He keeps saying, "You know I love you so much as you are." But in no way does he want me to not be healthier and happier, so that's good. Felt a bit relieved after that talk, to be honest.

They're calling for 4" of snow here tomorrow. Ugh. Instead of getting out on the trail yesterday afternoon, I did get on the treadmill, so that's one barrier in my mind crossed. Brought my stuff to walk at lunch today - in an hour - it's 20 now and 11 with wind chill - and the canal where I walk is pretty windy. Hm. I'm not sure now that I'm that gung ho for it.

I, too, have to fight the instinct to close my days down when it gets dark so early. In the summer, I'm rarin' to go as it's light here until 10. Now it's dark a bit past 6 as the days are again getting longer, but I'm still ready for bed mentally sooooo early!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Hi everybody!! I am finally caught up reading the posts since Friday. I had not signed in since then. NOT going to try to catch up on personals, though. Love hearing about all of your lives and your victories and/or trials. I will make one note re: NP asking if/how we prep food for the week. I don't always prep much for suppers during the week. But I ALWAYS make up 5 servings of oatmeal and cut up veggies for salads/wraps during the week every Sunday evening. I've pretty much gotten it down to a science now and it doesn't take me long at all. I was in the kitchen most of the evening yesterday doing that and making a pot of potato soup (by request, even!!) for our supper tonight. I also organized and put away all of my Christmas dishes/containers and have those ready to put in storage again.

Was back to exercise morning with the 3 Mile Weight Loss walk w/ 2# hand weights. I tried using the 10# vest I bought. I took it off after the first mile, as it seemed to be bothering my left shoulder/shoulder blade area a bit. I had neck surgery in the late 90's and that area has always given me problems since, so I don't want to irritate any nerves. I will carefully use the vest and see if I can work up to wearing it longer.

Had a good, quiet weekend with fiance. I had planned to make him one of his favorites for supper Saturday, chicken fried steak.....(I KNOW!!)...and also got a wild hair to make a from-scratch banana cake w/ cream cheese frosting (what is WRONG with me??)....so spent most of Saturday doing that. Cake turned out AWESOME, but the fried steak was terrible. I used too much oil to fry it in and didn't have it hot enough either. He nicely ate it, but I could not finish mine.....a blessing in disguise I suuppose. I did eat my share (and more) of the cake.... I am going to have to shelve baking for a while. I just cannot resist the baked goods. Nobody I know actually NEEDS them either. Last night when I was making the soup, I literally had to force myself to abandon the idea of making homemade croutons....they are full of olive oil and we just don't need the extra calories they would add. I am going to forego the cheese on top of my soup, too.

I did get outside with him yesterday before I headed home and we re-distributed some hay he had put down over grass seed that he planted. Really didn't count as much exercise, but we MOVED!

Hope you all have a healthy day!!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

Good Monday morning, after being snowed in all weekend it is nice to be at work. Only problem is I took the car to the train, which I could have walked, but they are clearing our driveway today so have to have the car gone anyways. They did not clear the train parking lot which was surprising so I am extremely stuck in a foot of snow but at least it is in a parking spot. So not looking forward to getting it out. Hubby can meet me there after work. Also we were told they would not be clearing our home lot so me and a bunch of tenants spent hours shoveling the multi car driveway only to learn they are clearing it today. On the plus side it is an amazing workout to shovel snow for several hours so that was a plus.
Back on plan today after falling off quite badly.
Mirj, - totally agree on the scale thing and need to move my weigh day to Thurs so as not to get discouraged tomorrow. I get back on the wagon by not eating till my body is actually hungry and sometimes that does not happen all day. I still feel full from the day before. I just drink lots of water and usually feel better by the afternoon and also make sure to get a walk in. You commmented that step kids make you gain weight- not sure of the context but mine sure did. Had a 6 year old come live with hubby and me after 3 months of being married, (she previously lived with his sister and her famlly but they could no longer cope) she has severe mental health issues. I take responsibility however as I chose to eat to deal with the stress. Jan 2010 she went back to her aunt and uncles as we could no longer care for her. I could no longer work due to the stress and had I not got laid off I would have gone on stresss leave and would have had to remove myself from our home if her dad did not decide we could no longer do it. Having a severely mentally ill child is extremely hard to care for. She was in and out of hospitals due to violence and did not know how to tell the truth ever. She ran away from home in the mornings at 7 years old and stole everything she could get her hands on. She is doing better now so I am glad for that.
Kitty, good job on staying on plan
NP - congrats on the 4 pounds and on the WW. I hope it helps you out a lot.
Annie - unless I am blind I did not see a post for you, hope your Monday is going well and hope to see you here soon.

It is cold today -18c and we got over afoot of snow on the weekend. I feel like hermit when stuck inside for so long but planning my walk today at lunch.
Today is first day of classes for winter term at the university i work at so it is a gong show.
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #109  

annie you must have just beat me to posting, I totally agree with the baking thing, when I am bored i like to bake but am trying to keep it to a few very healthy muffin and oatmeal cookie recipes I have adapted, then they are great snacks for at work as well.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #110  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Okay, I just turned the heat up again! Hubby put the heating pad under Aprils bed in the living room but I just found her all spread out on the rug. Crazy dog. Hubby went for a short drive to check out the main roads, he's not back yet so he's probably doing backwards donuts in an empty parking lot. Nut.

Ashley, good to see you back and that you havent' abandoned us. I tend to not feel hungry, then break down and eat anyway because I'm scared I"m running out of fuel. What a hard situation with the daughter. Good to hear it is better.

Annie, your cooking and baking adventures sound like fun, even if everything didn't turn our perfectly.

NP, congrats of being back on track. Glad to hear things are cleared up with your guy. I was hoping that he was just distracted or something.

Mirj, Senile Dog Syndrome is hilarious. April isn't allowed on the furniture but we know as soon as we leave the house she climbs up on the little used love seat and stays there until we return. The little sneak pretends to have just climbed our of her bed but she leaves a tell-tale warm spot on the couch. Also we set up a video camera once.

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 01-10-2011 at 12:10 PM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #111  

Ashley-I would love to see your recipes for healthy muffins/oatmeal cookies!!

Interesting that you all have been discussing heating your dogs' beds. I saw a heated pad at the farm store this weekend and seriously considered getting one for Tootsie, but didn't. I DID pick up a couple of fleece blankets for her, but I don't think they are very warm. I may have to go check into the heated pad for her bed.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #112  
Enjoying la bella vita

ha ha - ours sets up camp about, oh, 4-5" from the space heater ... which SERIOUSLY cramps my older cat's routine, since that was HER spot. Too funny on the video camera to catch April in action.

Got out to walk - froze the whole way. I'm NOT a winter-weather person. Well, I don't mind LOOKING at it from a warm house Cut the walk short, down to prob two miles. But I was thinking, "at least i got out and did it."

Eating the second half of my lunch now.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Just popping in to say howdy real quick. Still on plan, still stuck in the house. Tomorrow I will venture out no matter how cold it is and at least walk to the thrift stores, maybe a mile total, but better than nothing. Supposed to be wamer---warmer being relative-into the 30's here starting Wed. but snow in the forecast. If it snows and no wind, I can still walk...if not, then it's stuck mostly inside. UGH!

Back to work.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #114  
Enjoying la bella vita

Barb - I have to ask how you love living in Cody? I have visited there several times en route to Montana and love the museums there - and have a poster of the Cody Nightly Rodeo framed in our home
Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #115  

Good for you NP for getting out for a walk, I really find i get rejuvinated by walking at lunch even in the cold, -17 today but when you have the right gear it is good. Almost did not go today though, glad i did. Sounds like you live near me as we get light in summer up until 10:30 as well.
Angels - hate being stuck inside as well, but it was nice to get out today. It is suppose to get colder, I am not looking forward to that. casue anything colder then -25 i don't go outside cept from the car to the train for work.
blahhhhhh
On another note I recovered quit well from this am, somone brought a huge box of belgian chocolates this am, I ate quite a few (dont ask) i was gonna stay in at lunch figured I blew the day but went to the bathroom and said a little prayer (well a big fat God rescue me from myself) and got back on the wagon which is a total miracle.
Hopefully the rest of the day is good, now togo dig the car out...... of the snow.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Nationalp-I LOVE living in Cody. Anything you want to do outdoorsy, and it's right outside...most of the year anyhow. We lived in Denver before this, and the traffic there was a nightmare. It's nice to be able to drive 1/2 hour and be almost completely alone on the roads and lots of hiking trails with nobo there but us. I have def. gotten spoiled.

Just finally read everything form yeterday and this mornign...will never get caught up on personals, but it sounds like everyone is hanging in there. Poor all the gals in the South and on the East Coast. Esp. down south where there is no plan for snow becuase it happens so rarely.

Mirj-glad you were able to do some exercise, but be careful...better to rest a little while than to make it a longer term problem for lack of patience!

Ashley-at least you were able to step away and hop back on track! Proud of you! And you will work it all off digging out the car, no doubt.

SDS-What a hoot. All our other dogs were born with it. We are down to only Buster right now and he's a character. He is enjoying being an only child and every time I think of adopting another problem pound hound, I eep in mind that he is happy right now. He goes everywhere with us, depsite being a large dog. Was thinking I should cut a paper back up to make a "service dog" thingy for him...then he could go inside walmart.

Just waiting for Robert to get home for dinner, then more crafts. Then I supposed I hsould do the WATP video and my 5 girly pushups before bedtime.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 178/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Good morning, all.

Ate to plan yesterday, and hit the gym once for a very good workout. No change on the scale this morning.

It's coooold here, and this is not a place that gets particularly cold. Case in point, I dress pretty much the same all year 'round, just adding a jacket to suit the weather (or no jacket). Lately I've felt like I need a ski suit to stay warm outside--and winter has just begun. La Nina strikes again.

PPenguin--I'd love to spy on my kittehs during the day. Of course, then I'd have to watch nine hours of sleeping in order to catch the two hours of activity.

Ashley--Sometimes the chocolate wins. That's life. Glad to hear you got back on the wagon.

I'm off to the gym this morning. Have a good day, everyone.
KittehMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #118  
2011 kms in 2011!

S/C/G: 78.5/ticker/65 Kg

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon (or morning, or evening) all!

SDS does sound funny, but it's real! My step-dog Honey was diagnosed with it in late 2009. He would just stare at the walll, or a chair leg. He would also bark at things that weren't there. The vet called this SDS and prescribed Xanax. We decided not to drug up the poor dog, and since he was ill with a lot of other things (including acid reflux and incontinence), we put him to sleep at the age of 17.

My dog Shovav is 16 and now he has SDS. Aside from the arthritis he's in pretty good shape, although our walks are getting shorter and shorter since he can't walk so far. The other night I (stupidly) took him with me to the ATM to take out some cash for the cleaner, and poor doggie, I had to carry him home (and he's heavy!).

I'm back on plan, both foodwise and with the exercise. Had an amazing green curry with tofu today for lunch, hot and spicy and I was a good girl and had it with steamed brown rice instead of the white fried stuff.
Mirj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Hello everyone...I've been reading all your posts and trying to catch up. I'm struggling to get this whole thing off the ground..not making any major progress....

We're getting ready for another snow storm....I stocked up on salad greens and have enough lean protein in the freezer to get by....

Today should be another crazy action filled day...two classes and a chiropractor appt for some excruciating neck pain that I have. Sometimes I feel like i"m ready for the glue factory.

have a good day all.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #120  

Hi everyone! It's 10 degrees ABOVE zero here and miserable, but I don't feel like I can complain when hearing about the cold some of you have to deal with every winter, all winter. I may have to get a space heater out to warm up my bedroom. It was an addition long ago and is not well insulated and is the coldest room in the house. I gave Tootsie some extra bedding in her kennel for the day, I hope she stays warm.

You snow walkers are such an inspiration!! Keep moving, ladies!

Ashley-So sorry about your battle with the chocolate, but good job asking for help from God. He wants us to be healthy and I know he heard your prayer.

Zumbachica-Glue factory?? LOL, I doubt it, lady!!