Old 04-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Kathi-about the sleep study. Don't know how good your sleep medicine folks are where you are. I went to medical school at Penn State and when I was there, the chairman of our psych dept was a guru of sleep medicine so we had a state of the art sleep lab. I used to draw blood for them for extra money and hook people up at night with all their wires. At any rate, depends on what you are being tested for. Sometimes they would have people come in every night for a week because they knew it was not something they were necessarily going to catch on the first night. Night terrors and sleepwalking (the kind that kids have and what you are describing kind of sounds like that) occur in the deepest stages of sleep. Stage 3 and 4-not REM sleep where we do most of our dreaming. They are a true sleep disorder. So unless there is something more to this than you are talking about here (which may be appropriate) it is unlikely a nightlight is going to solve the problem. Just FYI, we are actually paralyzed during REM sleep to keep us from acting out our dreams under normal circumstances. If you have ever woken up during a nightmare, you may have had this experience of being terrified and not being able to move-that's why. Enough of the sleep medicine lecture this morning. I'm jealous of your farmer's market. The only meat I can get at our local "open air market". I wouldn't call it a farmer's market is goat meat. Lots of produce but no other meat.

I have 2 delirium consults to do today. I guess not enough people attended my lecture last weekend Only 2 admissions but here a hospital from a neighboring town wants to send us a patient. I'll have to look at that this morning.

I was wondering where Heidi was but then I remembered it was Passover this week and I imagine she is busy with that. Hoping you are enjoying some nice family time. Let us know if Elijah comes to dinner.

Deb-my palm trees look awful. They really took a beating this winter. I don't know if you know this but they bite! Palm fronds have teeth so pruning them is a bit precarious. Mine are so tall at this point I have to climb a ladder or hire someone to climb a ladder and do it. Palms also grow like no other plants I have ever had. They were in my yard when I got here-not sure they would have been my choice to plant. I love Magnolias and would have probably preferred a big southern magnolia in my front yard. The tree that everyone is most fond of down here is the live oak. You see them everywhere. They are not like oak trees up north.

Wizzie-I keep saying I want to grow vegetables and it never happens. I would have to make above ground boxes (I forget what you call those) to plant in because our soil here is horrible. Actually it isn't soil, it's sand. One of these years, I'll do it. I have grown herbs and that has worked pretty well. I may do that again. I like being able to just go outside and snip whatever herbs I want to put in my food rather than worrying about whether or not I can find it at the grocery store.

Happy Easter to all who celebrate-don't eat too much candy. That's a reminder to me too. I've had a few pieces at the hospital. Not good for the sugar addict.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone! I'm finally starting to feel somewhat better. Not perfect yet, but definitely a big difference from this past week. I've got a lot of catch up stuff to do today - laundry, shopping, food prep for the week because I'm sure just going to work tomorrow is going to wipe me out and I don't want to have to do any of this after working a full day.

Things are good on the scale - officially down 40 lbs now (note the the new chickie!)

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter and/or Sunday!! (I'm going to just write this week off in terms of personals, but maybe I'll be able to keep up when the new thread for the new week gets going)
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #93  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

OMW, I love the idea of having the cals posted right on the menu at restaurants. It’s a lot harder to stick your face in a piece of choc cake if the cals are staring at you before the first bite.

Petra, I’m glad your co-worker returns soon. Only 8 days remaining and you mentioned your oncall was for the weekend only. You’re getting closer. BTW, Kodiak has gotten ear infections and I thought the same about the upright ears. He gets them when it is moist (rainy) outside. We’re paralyzed during the deepest sleep cycle??? That’s just cool to know!

WLW, I can’t imagine having night terrors. Night time is supposed to be relaxing. I’d be scared to close my eyes. I hope they end soon. Thanks for the link to the mindful eating. It was interesting and reminded me of the good habits. YEAH on the date. Sounds like your day went uphill from the hard start.

KIM, I’m getting a wonderful image of your sister and her monogrammed life. Nope, I’m comfy going out like a slob. Heck I did yesterday – I did take out the clip that held my bangs of my face. That was my only concession to looking semi decent. We went to 4 stores and today, going nowhere, I did my hair and make up. I’m thinking I’m a bit nuts. BTW, we’ve had snow for a week. It’s 32 and the snow is sticking. But I have the house at 82 degrees and am wearing shorts and a tank top. The calendar says spring and I don’t care that Mommy Nature forgot to look.

Barb, dogercise – how fun. When Kai was little, I’d pick her up and dance all over the house with her. She’s now 50 pounds and a little heavy for that too often. But occasionally I just can’t resist. Congrats on doing the whole workout.

Deb, I cold turkey-ed my meds as well about 4-5 years ago. My dr. was on sabbatical and my family doc was renewing my prescriptions for 6 months. At the end of her sabbatical, I chose to stop taking them and never made an appointment with psychiatrist again. I do, though, credit her with why I’m not on meds. She gave me the non-drug keys for being off the drugs.

Peanuts, congrats on the 40 pound loss. I’m glad you’re feeling better.

DH and I were going to go to Crater Lake today but it’s yucky (snowy), cold, and windy (40 mph or so gusts). So I’m thinking tropical next to my wood stove. We grocery shopped yesterday and while in line, they did an announcement that they had fresh turkeys for $.89/pound. Out of the line and back to the butcher’s dept. So there’s a turkey in the oven. YUMMY!!!! I love turkey. I’m bummed the weekend is to end soon. It’s been quiet and nice. DH helped me pin the quilt top, batting and bottom together so I’m getting ready to “stitch in the ditch”. My basil seedlings are growing nicely so I see pesto in my future and my Gardenia has about 15 buds ready to open. I love the tropics even if it’s fake. BTW, DH is being indulgent with my need to wear shorts and a tank. He’s sweating like he’s run through a hot desert. I do love him!
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #94  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Happy Easter and/or spring holiday of your choice!

Petra - look into Gardener's Supply. Oh, do they have cool stuff for container gardening - and raised-bed-in-a-box! It's a terribly fun catalog and they can get you geeked about growing stuff right on your porch, deck, under a tree, you name it! And starting some new veggie life and getting some dirt under your fingernails might be great for helping you defuse some of that gawdawful stress?

Cindy - hope the earthquake rolling has stopped!

Hello to everyone else! I will have some more time tomorrow to follow up; we just got home from dinner with the inlaws (behaved fairly well) and soon will be making some popcorn for the next 2 episodes of Life, on the Discovery channel. DS10 and I haven't missed an episode yet!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #95  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

My mom has fits about how much it costs me to go to the aveda salon. It's the only place that does a great job and doesn't fry my hair, which was fragile even before the chemo. She was bragging how she got hers cut at walmart and only paid $2.99 for her hair color, and I reminded her she's not hunting for a cowboy : ) I sent her a text today to tell her the new do was worth every penny, was asked for a date coming home yesterday and another one today at church!

Petra: check out this link for square foot gardening. I'm thinking about trying it so I can take my garden with me when I move, even though my patio will have a patch of dirt I can dig in : ) www.squarefootgardening.com Funny thing about the sleep issues, before I moved to texas I had a sleep study done and I wasn't going into REM sleep at all. Which seemed to be the cause of the "post chemo" depression and migraines that had me barely functioning. And yes, I do have those scary dreams where I know if I just jerk or scream I'll wake up but I just can't. Hate those! The ones where I really do wake up screaming I usually am not even aware of the dream or the screams. Scared my kids a few times though. I usually a have a few over a short period when I'm going through a major change in my life - they actually started shortly after my ex left. The last two were totally different. I'm using the night light as a mind-over-matter ritual...otherwise I would be afraid to even try sleeping!

marie: I love the visual of you running around dressed for tropical weather while it's still wintery weather outside!

becky: I'll have to check that website out as well. now that it's warm the dirt is calling my name : )

I'll try to do better with personals this week. I'm settling into my new schedule at work and getting ready for my vacation in tx. Wish I had gone this week, I so hate spending holidays alone : (
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote