Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Quick flyby to let you know I"m still alive and survived my call. I'm sooooo happy to not be on call anymore for another couple weeks. I'm in charge of the call schedule. Did you guys know that? It's a huge headache and we try to do it for a quarter at a time so I've had to start working on the next quarter. Everyone tells me when they want to not be on call and I try to work around it without making it ridicuolously unpleasant for everyone else. There's a big psych conference in May in New Orleans that everyone wants to go so you can imagine the challenge I have this time around. Trying to figure out how I'm gonna give everyone a chance to go for a few days. And then there is Easter, and Mother's Day and Memorial Day and I try to spread the holidays around to make it fair for everyone. This is a totally miserable job and I don't get anything extra for it.

Redhook-you have the general idea about how we figure out the calories in a recipe but I think most people probably have programs similar to mine. My food joural has a "recipe" program and I also have something called Master Cook where you just put in the whole recipe and how many servings it has and viola-it gives you the whole nutritional breakdown. When I used Fitday, I found it to be very tedious for this process.

Vet called yesterday and said everything came back normal but to call her today to talk about it. I think she wants to do some more tests. So far so good.

Heidi-I get Western Bagel pitas and they are really good. They have some ridiculous amount of fiber in them. They sell the bagels at one of our local grocery stores too and if I can find them in MS, I'm sure you can find them Pittsburgh.

Becky-I got some venison yesterday. Ground, cubed steak and tenderloin. Any suggestions?

Last edited by petra65; 03-19-2010 at 09:32 AM.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #62  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Petra, I would hate having to schedule everyone. No way to make everyone happy. How about drawing names out of a hat? Glad to hear that so far the news on Kobe is good.

Newleaf, DH and DS are both Eagle Scouts so scouting is a big part of our family. When they were both active in the troop it meant one weekend a month they would be gone camping. I miss those weekends! Sorry to hear your sister is having some trouble, a visit from you might be just what she needs!

Lambchop, we have all had some weird dressing room moments. Hope it keeps you motivated! Enjoy your time with your mom and aunt!

RedHookmom, When I eat out I check a website called Dottie's weight loss zone. DWLZ.com, Lots of calorie info for restaurants. Very eye opening!

ICU, good to hear from you. Sounds like you did well at your meet. Hope your work situation settles.

SuzyMc, I am enjoying this nice weather and being able to be outside to walk. Today is supposed to get to 70 and sunny! I'm loving it!

Annie, the tilapia sounds terrific. I'll have to look for the english muffins. I'm definitely a bread lover!

Marie, Thanks for the link for the bagels. I'm going to try those! I am always impressed with your ability to get up at 4:30!

Another beautiful day here! I got up and took a nice long walk. I need to caulk and paint the woodwork in the kitchen and have put it off all week. DD is looking for a friend to come and hang out. This has been a very lazy spring break but I feel very well rested and grateful to have been able to walk every day. House hunting trip was cancelled due to realtor's illness. Hope to reschedule this weekend. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #63  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

TGIF! I hope everyone has a great weekend! Sunday is our 27th anniversary. We were supposed to be in NC on the beach this week, but with all that is going on with Aunt Hazel, that isn't going to happen. Right now I'm just hoping for a quiet day without a call from the nursing home and a nice dinner out.

Marie ~ How is your quilt coming? I've been so busy that I forget what my sewing room looks like!

ICUwishing ~ Sounds like you have had a full week! Hooray for the weekend, huh?

Red Hook Mom ~ I sort of count calories, but mainly I watch portions and try to eat healthier and avoid the junk. Usually breakfast and lunch are easy to calculate the calories and then I guess at dinner. For the most part it's just common sense...learn what the proper portion sizes are and stay away from the junk.

lambchop ~ Our nice weather is supposed to hold through the weekend and then it's back to reality next week with temps back into the 40's. It sure has been a nice taste of what's to come though!

newleaf ~ Have a safe trip if you do decide to go see your sister!

petra ~ I hope the vet has good news for you today!
SuzyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #64  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Becky, way to go on this past swim meet. Sounds like you did great and you’re on course for your April meets. I hope barcode checking brought the feeling back to your mind.

Liz, I count calories on my iPhone. There’s a great app called LoseIt! And it makes is simple and convenient. I also have a PC program called Lifeform that I bought in the 90’s that’s great for recipes – easier than any other. Then I just enter the food in my iPhone with the serving cals. BTW, rural living is quite intriguing with all the critters. DH and I went to Denali Nat’l Park and saw an animal or two (or maybe a rock) from such a distance and everyone was going nuts. I keep thinking they’d be bananas if they saw what we see daily. It’s quite unique to have Bambi walk up to the house and stare in the living room window. They don’t even blink when my dogs go wild. And how cool you enjoy pool maintenance as well. I thought I was just crazy.

Deb, I hope your lunch with family was wonderful. Girl time out is fun! I too clean in sweeps. Like a banshee then think it’ll last for a week. Not possible with 4 huskies that spurt fur out like crazy.

Heidi, when you mentioned all the food for 8 boys, I saw $$$ signs. Then I read further and see now it’s 16. You are an angel. It is a little odd that the pants aren’t hemmed. Most people buy the right size and voila, the length is usually right.

Petra, fingers remain crossed that all Kobe’s tests keep coming back normal.

OMW, lazy spring breaks are wonderful. I do like going to the beach (like Cancun or Florida) but I don’t come back nearly as rested as playing at home. Now you’re ready for the rest of the school year.

Suzy, happy 27th anniversary. DH make that same mark in May. I hope you’re left alone so that you and DH can enjoy a romantic dinner.

The work on the quilt came to an abrupt stop when I realized I made the quilt top for the top of the bed. Hmm, how about a bit to hang over the sides??? I swear there are times I am SO blonde. So this morning I bit the bullet and left my peaceful home and ventured to town. Our quilt shop closed it’s doors while I was in Cancun so I ended up at Joanns. I did find two nice quilt material that will look great as a border. Between the trip into town and Sasha’s pulling intervention (ie animal behavior training this morning) I’ve done nothing but measure what was needed. DS and DIL are coming out for dinner in a while so I’m thinking today is a wash. But it is in the mid 60s and sunny. No complaints. I did buy my pups each a rawhide and they’re quietly chomping away. I love watching them when they are so content. Their faces relax, the ears aren’t straight up. It’s just so cute.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Marie, yes, Cody Wyoming. Moved here 8 1/2 years ago from Denver. I LOVE this place! Anything a person could want to do outside, winter or summer, we either have it here or can get to where it is...all in less time than it used to take to drive across town when we lived in the big city. The only thing better than a Cody vacation is living here year round!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Okay. I'm mad! I came on a little bit ago and wrote a long, newsy, and clever post and hit enter and POOF!....lost in cyber space.

Short Recap
  • Bought gym membership for son for his b-day last night.
  • Older son's 18th birthday, boy they grow up fast.
  • Had lunch at Red Lobster, I was 75% good.
  • Academy for sweat band for me, workout clothes for son.
  • Had one piece birthday cookie, sent it with the boys to their Dad's.
  • Didn't get to go to fiance's as we are predicted to have a blizzard tomorrow. It was 70 degrees here today.
  • Tootsie got staples removed today. Has one open area vet says should heal on its own. Collar gone.
  • Took a vacation day for all of the above. Nice to have a day off.

So that's the basics. I'm pooped so I'm sorry I'm not commenting on everyone's posts. Going to see what happens tomorrow. Will make myself a pot of vegetable soup and stay in all weekend. Yay.

Love to all!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #67  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Heidi- i don't sew either...LOL, my sewing looks scary. This from a girl who had a grandmother who made all her clothes...just not my talent. Hope your boys enjoy their camping trip and oy on all the food! Let us know if you got in the car and went to see your sister

Petra- glad you get a break and are off call for now - also glad the tests came back normal - on the venison, my dad used to make it in a marsala (sp?) --

OnMyWay- glad you're enjoying your spring break and the weather is letting you enjoy some nice walks

Suzy- happy anniversary, 27 years! That's awesome - hope you get your quiet day and a nice dinner out

Marie- we get tons of deer here, but not too many others at my house...we're overun with deer though - wish we could do rawhide... our girl always gets sick later, think she just gets too excited, obsessive and eats too fast. We use nylar bones mostly now, but they love a good solid rawhide, so i feel bad they don't get them as a treat anymore

Barb- when I think of Wyoming, I think open space...that's something I crave being over in NJ...never been there, but we'd like to do a cross country trip in a few years. BTW, congrats on all the extra exercise you're getting! (other thread)

Annie- oh i hate when that happens! Kids DO grow so fast...man! Bet son will love his new membership - blizzard? oh no, not again!
---

just here, hanging out -- annoyed with tailbone...STILL just frustrates the heck out of me. EVERY TIME i get up from a chair, still bothers me - 9 weeks later :\ DR said they are famous for slow healing, but really just annoys me so much - standing, walking, running, i'm fine...get up from a chair and sucks the air out of me - just like whoosh...dang that hurt.

sorry for the vent, usually doesn't bother me this early in the morning....have to run today, and my son is here, so we'll go out for awhile...not sure what we're doing yet - sunny, 70's, maybe mini-golf would be fun - don't know yet

finished reading Precious (Push) yesterday...excellent book, but very graphic and difficult to read (harsh topics)...glad i read the book though instead of the movie due to story/topic
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #68  
I WILL make it!

S/C/G: 220/186/160

Height: 5'8 ~ 51 years

Hello all, just thought I would say Hi as I am fairly new here. Guess this is where I need to be as I am 46 years young! lol. I noticed another Oklahoma'n on here..... were in for a blizzard today
countryhomeschoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #69  

Welcome CountryHomeSchoolin!! So nice to have another Okie here! Yep, the snow is starting to pile up here (I live in Bethany) and it looks like we are in for 24 hours of it. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Deb-I'm sorry, but I forgot how you originally injured your tail bone. Was it a fall? Have a good day with your son. No mini golf here today.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #70  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Barb, I’d definitely prefer Cody over Cenver (even though I like Denver). I’m a rural type of person and I love Wyoming.

Annie, I can’t recommend enough not to write your posts online. Toggle back and forth between your browser and Word (or even notepad) then copy and paste. I used to write online and had many posts disappear. Now after I post, I wait until I see the post in the forum, then I delete my Word document. And yeah for Tootsie’s collar being gone and that she’s healing. I hope you don’t have a blizzard.

Deb, after 9 weeks I’d be frustrated too. I hope you enjoy your warm day with your son.

Country, welcome to the thread. Congratulations on your 25 pound loss. That’s excellent. And like Annie, I hope the blizzard warnings are just a practical joke and that it stays 70 and sunny.

OK I see by Annie's nearly same time post that the snow wasn't a joke. Stay warm and inside Annie and Country.

It is supposed to be 70 and sunny here today. DH and I will take the huskies on a walk in a couple hours. I will first elliptical then do one set of my new weight training routine. I hate weights but I’d made a promise to start after the surgery. Since I’m at that point, I started on Thursday. Phoooooeeeeey. I’d rather have a root canal but I don’ want to lose my strong bones.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Marie

Last edited by Marie; 03-20-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #71  

RedHookMom-I forgot to note that I saw your suggestion to try a slightly higher setting on the elliptical and I may try that this weekend. Thanks!

Marie-Good idea on the Word document posting. I sometimes copy my posts before I hit "enter", just in case, but I was too late on the one last night. Need start making that a habit.

Heidi-If you decided to take the drive to see your sister, be safe.

Hoping to have a good food weekend here. I wanted to really lose a few pounds before Monday, not sure if that will happen. Sitting around by myself all weekend can be a good thing or a bad thing, just depends on how I decide to handle it. Will try to work in 2 sessions of WATP each day to sweat! Making veg soup later and I am trying to make it as sodium free as possible.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #72  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

yikes on all the snow

Annie- i fell down some steps and hit right at the top of my hiney crack..LOL...corner of a hardwood step - we have steps that lead to the living room from the family room...and while one side is against a wall, the other is not...hence the corner and i was being lazy, and as i was cough, cough vacuuming down the steps and put the vacuum down (a big arms reach) - it got away from me and down I went...

70 and sunny Marie! woohoo...here too - strong bones are good!
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #73  
I WILL make it!

S/C/G: 220/186/160

Height: 5'8 ~ 51 years

Hi Annie, I live In Elmore City, way down in the state but have a daughter that goes to college at the city. She is in her 2nd year becoming a sign language interpreter. We live a couple hours from you but go to Norman most week-ends. The snow is not so bad here, hope it is manageable for you.
I am still trying to find my way around here, not very good at this yet.
Are most of you on different diet plans?
Thank you all for your kind welcome.
countryhomeschoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

A spring blizzard sounds terrible although I've been through a few of those myself when I lived in PA.

I'm having an interesting weekend so far. Last night I went out to dinner with a group from dinner. One of the nurses made a bet with the social worker over the superbowl for dinner and then a bunch of us joined them for dinner. We had a great time. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. We all needed to let off some steam.

I was supposed to have a date today. A nurse I work with at one of the nursing homes has a friend she was going to introduce me to but his parents were in a car accident so that got cancelled. I got a new phone instead Not sure if I like it yet. I got a new blackberry. It's smaller than my old one which you would think would be a benefit but maybe not. It does have some new updated features. I'll try it out for a couple weeks-my cell phone company lets you bring it back within 2 weeks without a penalty if you don't like it.

I made a nice dinner-a recipe I've been wanting to try for awhile-grilled moroccan pork tenderloin kabobs. They were okay. I think I should probably stick to tagines and couscous dishes when making moroccan food.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #75  
Wonder Woman in Training

S/C/G: 216/tracker/140

Height: 5'8"

Good morning, girls! How's it been going? I've been in such a good mood and the weather's been beyond beautiful. I think I have a case of mild depression during the winter. Probably losing weight would help significantly. Anyway...I'm still chugging away with my GoWear Fit. And I totally recommend it to anyone who's interested! (I got mine through Amazon, where the price varies from day to day.) The most important thing for me is that it's making me competitive in terms of getting significant exercise every day, and in trying to up my around the house level of exercise. (Like, I was doing laundry yesterday and I was taking down clothes five items at a time instead of the whole laundry basket...I have a lot of steps.) Next good thing is that it's making me less caught up in the numbers on the scale...if my weight is up but I'm burning more calories than I'm eating, I know it's bloat or something like that. Losing weight seems more like a big picture. I took yesterday as my day off at the gym, but I'm going this morning and then spending the afternoon with friends and their kids, and we'll have the kids running around all afternoon outside. (They live in campus housing at our local college which has great hiking.)

Lambchop - interesting what you say about your dressing room realizations. How complicated this can all feel! Good luck with all of that...hope your tailbone finally quits making you crazy.

Newleaf - Oh yeah...makeup...I feel lucky to be hitting my late forties when all of this mineral based stuff came into being. There are mornings when I think "yikes!" I loved the tuna jerky...but we grill as much tuna as possible, considering mercury levels and efforts to mainly eat fish that aren't potentially endangered. I HATE to hem things. Particularly stupid, as I like to sew. When I can't deal, I use the iron on hem stuff which works remarkably well!

Petra - Wow, I don't envy you for being in charge of the on call schedule. What a thankless job! Thanks for the advice in figuring out calories. It still feels so hit or miss to me, but if I estimate high, I can't go wrong, I guess. Sorry that your date got cancelled! Moroccan food--yum! I'm wanting to start cooking Thai at home...I love lemongrass.

Onmyway - I can't think of anything much nicer than a lazy spring break. Thanks for the link for Dottie's...we pretty much just do local places around here but I try to find something that might possibly be equivalent.

Suzy - Happy anniversary! Sorry it's not at the beach. I've always thought of Hazel as an old lady name (no offense to your aunt-in-law) and now I have a friend named Hazel with a daughter named Hazel. (I know that was random.) And I'm evolving into the same kind of calorie counting...I know exactly what I'm eating in terms of calories until dinner and then I just eat half as much of anything suspect.

Marie - I'll download LoseIt. The only thing I don't like about pool maintenance is dealing with frogs with a deathwish. (No! Don't swim to the bottom! Head to the pond, you stupid frogs!) My rural daughter finds it funny that her cousins don't know what fox poop smells like. (It smells like skunk, for those of you who don't know.) I spend a lot of time trying to scare the fox off whenever we have baby bunnies in the yard. I don't need to see that much nature at work. We have two quilt stores in our town! Odd and kind of cool!

Angelskeep - Cody sounds so cool!

Annie - Man, losing a posting is the worst!!!! It was totally fun reading it as a bullet list, though. All sounds good at your house...except the weather. I was talking to my uncle in Kansas City and he told me about sitting on the porch in the morning in a t-shirt and shoveling snow after dinner. Crazy weather! As for Marie's advice, I write in my email program and then paste it in. Things sometimes looked funky when I did them in Word.

Countryhomeschoolin - Welcome!!!
Red Hook Mom is offline   Reply With Quote