Old 01-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #16  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lamb, when you first described the roll sitting there, I though “ah a special treat for your family and you can’t throw it away”. I just couldn’t come up with another idea of why you’d have it when you didn’t want it there. And then I was with Newleaf congratulating you on persevering and then I literally did laugh out loud about the not so great job. It’s amazing how tempting some foods can be. Good job moving on. But I do need to ask why it was there, not in a bin at the store or in the trash? BTW, one Kaiser roll isn’t bad calorie wise unless you did slather it in butter.

Newleaf, get on the stairmaster. You have canyons to hike and you don’t want to stop every 10 feet.

Annie, I really wish I had words of wisdom for you. My situation probably has no resemblance to yours. I know why I started exercising. My psychiatrist prescribed it to supplement my bipolar meds. Now 4 years later, the bipolar meds are gone and the elliptical reigns king in my life. I love that it was a big part of why I lost weight faster than I would have if I hadn’t, but I never started or continue to exercise for the weight. I do it for my mental health. I am happy because of it. I really can tell a difference on non-morning exercise days versus when I do exercise. It’s not even subtle in my head. Now, the way I got started was to bribe myself. I created a database to log my exercise. I gave different activities an amount that I thought was appropriately worth based on the difficulty (or boredom level as is the case with yoga and weight lifting – I still hate those). Then I’d log what I did and let the dollars accumulate. It took me 10 months to reach my first prize (an LCD projector for home theater movies). Ten months without my prize but I could see myself close in on it. That was motivating. But after about 3-4 months I just was hooked on feeling good and by then med free. Now I still track the exercise and the $$$ amounts but I don’t use a reward. I just like seeing how much I’ve earned and how much I’ve done annually. My database spans four years now and seeing how much more I do annually is just cool. So that is my story. It probably doesn’t apply to anyone else but it’s how I went from slug to loving exercise. After a certain amount of time (clearly individual in nature) it becomes fun. It becomes part of you.

BTW, I also have asthma and knee problems (which is how I ended up trying the elliptical). I keep my albuterol on the elliptical and have used it on occasion because I’d never get off for a little breathing problem. I’m too competitive with myself to give in.

To start, use a manual setting with nearly no resistance. Go slow and just enjoy it. Don’t make your heartrate go up much. Just get on for a relaxing ride. And start with 5 or 10 minutes. If you start slow and make it not painful, you’ll set the foundation for it to be enjoyable when the workout intensity increases. Expecting yourself to have increased resistance and speed will only derail you.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 254/229/160

Height: 5'6.5"

Can I get in on this 40 Somethings eventhough I'm late to start? I just found this site today and so far have enjoyed reading posts. I'm new at this so please bare with me. So what do I do? Thanks for your help...Jess
Just Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Welcome, Just Jess....I'm a newbie, too and everyone is so nice here. Lots of inspiration and wisdom from these ladies.

Thank you, Marie for your description of how/why you exercise. I love your attitude about it AND the results it brought you. I'm going to give it a go and see how I do. It is overwhelming to think about doing 30 minutes when I cannot get comfortable with 10. But I will start all over, slowly and like you said just go for a relaxing ride (I like that image!).

As well as the exercise, I am struggling not to obsess over food. I have always found that a problem when "dieting", but this time I am not trying to "diet", but to change my habits for good. Still obsessing and wondering what I get to eat next, though.....Need to keep busier I suppose.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Sure Jess-just join in. We just give each other support.

Newleaf-sorry about the big mess at your house but sounds like you made the best of the situation.

Lamb-don't sweat the small stuff, just move on.

Marie-I can't believe you think yoga is boring! you must not be doing it right! I'm joking with you. You do realize there are various forms, some of which can be very challenging aerobically but I do know its not for everyone. I like your little reward system.

Annie-I would never do exercise if I didn't think it was fun. I just happened to find yoga and pilates when I lived in PA and lost weight once before. We have a yoga studio here so I try to get to a few classes a week. The other thing I have discovered recently is my Wii Fit. I like to box and ski. Not as an intense a workout as the elliptical or even a pilates class but as I say, the best exercise is the kind you actually do.

And I'm going to talk about something I have avoided talking about here. I have a dinner date tonight with the ex-boyfriend. This is our "we'll talk after Christmas" date. We're going to a Mediterranean restaurant here where we actually went on our first date. Not sure how this is going to go. I think he would like to try to work things out. I have mixed feelings to be honest. I'll listen to what he has to say and see if he sounds at all reasonable to me.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #20  
Natalie

S/C/G: 170/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Hello everyone,

Wow I missed this! Found out today my throat culture came back and it was Strep. I am almost feeling like my old self, so attempting to work out this afternoon, like in 2 minutes, so will see how it goes.

New Leaf - From last week, I admire your getting thru the coke situation in tact, that would have set me over the edge, you handled it great.

Deb - I love your attitude.

Happy Monday everyone, glad you are here.
AZ Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #21  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

AnnieDrews, I recently switched over the stairmaster from the elliptical and it was a little overwhelming to start. So, I started small, just for 5 minutes each time for a week. Then the next week I upped it to 10 over the course of the week. Then stuck with 10 min the following week, etc. Now I'm doing 30 min, which I think is my mental max, so I'm working on increasing the intensity. Baby steps, you know? You can do this, just start small.

Petra, good luck with dinner tonight... at least you know the food will be good!

AZ Manatee, I'm glad you found out what was wrong and are getting better!

JustJess, welcome! What do you do? Just post to other comments when you would like to, or to ask your own questions. Let us know what we can do to help you get started. Congratulations on your 19 pound loss -- that's fantastic!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #22  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Jess, welcome to the group. It’s great here. And wow, look how much you’ve lost already!

Annie, I hate to say it but I think constantly about food still and accepted that I always will. It’s part of me. I think if I were constantly busy, busy, busy perhaps then it wouldn’t be so much but I’m not non-stop. Let us know how the relaxing ride goes.

Petra, good luck with the dinner date. Listening is fine; just tread carefully. I remember your comments a few months ago.

Natalie, I’m glad you’re feeling better. Strep is nothing to mess with.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #23  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

got my 4 miles in.....will read more tomorrow

Marie- it was left over from last night - i made turkey burgers for my DH and DS -- and DH would have had it tonight with his dinner. Normally it wouldn't have been a big deal. NOT A CLUE why it was such an issue today - and I almost threw it away, but I played the "justify game" -- well, I am running 4 miles tonight...etc.

My bad, I know better, and I gave in way too easily. I guess the little girl in me "just wanted it"..so she had it. Usually the grown woman in me can tell the little girl no...

Last edited by lambchop; 01-25-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: .
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #24  
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra65 View Post
And I'm going to talk about something I have avoided talking about here. I have a dinner date tonight with the ex-boyfriend. This is our "we'll talk after Christmas" date.
want to know more! for now, i'm going to bed...will read in the AM
Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #25  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good evening friends! I'm back from my weekend in Houston. I had a great visit with my friend and the weather was terrific. I was so happy to wear flip flops all weekend! We did alot of eating out but i feel like I made good choices, we'll see what the scale says in the morning. Also walked outside both days, that felt good since I haven't done that since the weather turned cold here.

Looks like some more new friends. The more the merrier around here! I'll post personals next time! Glad to be back!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #26  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Just popping in to say I'll be home late tonight and back to posting on a regular basis. It's been a long visit and I'm ready to be home.

Marie - did the sunrise on Sunday without my mocha. The Starbucks here didn't open until 7:00. It was nice walking and chatting with my sister.

Heidi - What a nightmare to have to deal with.

Can't wait to get back in the swing of things. See you all tomorrow.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #27  
Deb

Marie- loved reading your exercise story, and you're inspiring woman!

Welcome Jess - jump right in! We have a lovely, supportive group of people here

Annie-
changing your habits is the right attitude, because this is something you want to stick...good habits

Petra - details...details...well? what happened, what did you decide?

Natalie- glad you're starting to feel like yourself again...and thank you for the kind words

OnMyWay
- so glad your weekend was awesome - I get flip flops again in March/Florida- I can't wait!

Cindy- nice to see you! have a safe flight, and hope you enjoyed your time on the east coast
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Didn't go to the mediterranean restaurant because there was road construction and he would have had trouble getting around it. He lives in Mobile so its a bit of a drive over here for him and he doesn't know the back roads in detail. We went to a mexican restaurant instead. It was okay. I had steak fajitas. My scale was actually down this morning so apparently it was a good choice.

He has his 14 year old son living with him which makes dating difficult to say the least. He had a difficult childhood and has this need to be superdad to compensate-he wants to be sure he is NOTHING like his father. I admire his desire to be an involved and commited parent but sometimes he loses all perspective and balance in his life and I honestly don't feel like that is me being selfish. He has had his son every single weekend this month. To me, that is just plain ridiculous. His ex-wife is supposed to have him every other weekend. He needs a break and the boy needs time with his mother. I told him that if he can't make time for me, obviously I can't date him. He would have to have at least 1 free weekend a month. Surprisingly he said he would talk to his ex-wife and son about it. We'll see what he does. Beyond that, I am perfectly fine including his son in everything we do together but we do have to have some time to ourselves. I also think he is with relationships like I am about parenting-the idea appeals to me but the reality is a whole other thing. Probably more than you all wanted to know. But that's how it went. I'll wait and see if he follows through. I asked him to try for Valentine's weekend so I'll know soon how he did with it.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #29  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

AnnieDrews – congratulations on your .8 pound loss!! I am so sorry that you feel disappointed by that; I think you should feel great about that! In my mind, down is down, and it most certainly is not up. So, even if you can’t get excited about it, I’ll get excited about it for you! And re: exercise, as much as I enjoy it once it’s done, and as much as it is necessary for my health and well being, it’s a “force” each and every time for me, too. I guess what I’m saying is, don’t let not wanting to do it stand in your way. Just do it. And re: food, I still obsess over it; I don’t think that will ever go away.

Marie – I wasn’t close with my MIL either when we first got married. Frankly, we didn’t really know each other and I realize now that cultural differences between Pittsburgh and Boston really kept us (unknowingly) diametrically opposed to each other. Then, add having grandchildren that she lived too far away to see but once or twice a year, and it all spells a bad relationship. However, us moving to Pittsburgh, me realizing about the inherent cultural differences, and getting to see each other more frequently has now made for a great relationship. Funny how it worked out. I love the metaphor of getting a fresh set of calories – that’s a good one!

Petra – It sounds like things went reasonably well last night… Soon you’ll know where he stands… I can’t imagine dating someone who has kids, and I can’t imagine dating while trying to raise kids… it’s all very complicated, and I hope you can both find the compromise that works.

LambChop – it’s all a learning process. Now you know. Don’t leave something tempting like that out! Would having put it in the cabinet have helped at all, you know – so you wouldn’t see it every time? We had this carton of gourmet cookies on the counter. I’m not a cookie person even, but they still tempted me. I think I have had 3 out of the dozen. Last night I said enough was enough. I didn’t want to be tempted again. So, I left 2 in the carton (one for each DS) and froze the rest. I wavered at the store with whether we should even get them, but I allowed them to come home (it was for my kids’ “restaurant” they were running for MIL and me). The kids should be allowed treats; they don’t have an eating problem, I do. But now I know that I can’t have them lying around. I should have frozen half of them from the get go!

OnMyWay – Welcome back! It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with your friend – I’m envious!

CruiseCAT – have a safe trip! Looking forward to having you back on a regular basis! I’ve missed you…

Here, I haven’t been talking about this, but I’m getting some medical test results back today, which I had blood drawn for 2 weeks ago. I’ve been working very hard to not let this interfere with my day to day and think I’ve been successful at that, although right now I feel very anxious. But whether I get good news or less-than-good news later today, I’m planning to keep on keeping on, not turning to food, candy, etc. New normal, right?
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #30  
Deb

Petra - I'm sorry it isn't working out the way you want, but being realistic with yourself about what you DO want will help you decide if this is the relationship for you. You both have different priorities right now, and that won't change...the question becomes - is there compromise?

Heidi- no - the cabinet wouldn't have helped. I "knew" it was there...what would have helped is if i didn't justify it to myself. Let us know how the blood work turns out, and i'll keep you in my thoughts - and send some positive vibes your way